Garmin LifeTime[TM] Maps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
Allegedly available for the Zumo, and provides up-to 4 updates per year.

I'm certainly not used to updating maps that often, perhaps only once per year.

I have also not ever actually had to pay for maps, either the updates were free, or I've replaced the GPS or upgraded which provided new maps.

Linky: https://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/m...e?utm_campaign=

Interested in any perspective on this.

-MD

I'd like to hear too, as my main beef with Garmin is the ancient 15-18 years out-of-date maps, and I resent having to pay for upgrades to crap like that. This might change my mind on not ever buying Garmin products again.

Like you, I have never paid for a map update. That said, the $119 is significantly more than I would normally spend so I don't see how it helps me save. My three year old maps seem to be accurate enough for me to get where I want to go.

Like you, I have never paid for a map update. That said, the $119 is significantly more than I would normally spend so I don't see how it helps me save. My three year old maps seem to be accurate enough for me to get where I want to go.
Map upgrades are typically $69/89

My Zumo came with NT2007? I have NT2009 on them now (came back from Garmin that way after being 'refurbished'.).

2009 is significantly slower loading, but works fine once up and running. I still run into roads NOT in the maps, non-existent gas stations etc.

I would likely pay that for quarterly updates if they are worthwhile and if the Maps for life isn't device specific. Meaning I'm not dropping $119 for updates to my Zumo550 only. I'd want those updates on my Zumo9000 when it ships too.

But I don't think it works that way.

I just signed up for it yesterday. :(

This is my biggest complaint against Garmin. But it's not just Garmin, it's every GPS maker. They ALL charge for map updates. The GPS companies don't make the maps. There are map companies out there that provide them to everybody - GPS, and even the online mapping like Google, and Mapquest. And nothing is free for anybody. Navteq is the primary map company that sells the map info to other companies.

Still, the past price of $70 for a one year update has been pretty steep. Especially if you want to update every year. And that is only for one GPS! If you are like me and have several Garmin GPSs you're screwed! If you catch somebody at Garmin on the right day they will give you a small discount if updating the maps on multiple GPSs. I've never done it. Too pricey.

What I have done is update my primary GPS every other year. I want to have current info. Especially here in Arizona where the crazy growth has resulted in new freeways, not to mention local roads. Problem is, updating can be slow. There was a major 'loop' freeway that was completed here July 9, 2008 and it didn't even show up on Google maps until about a month ago. (10 months for a major freeway - WTF?!) Navteq must be hurting also with the present economy and getting a little slower. There are major local roads that are over a year old (maybe two) that Google maps (or Mapquest) STILL don't show. Still, I like to be as current as I can.

Remember also, that it's not just the roads but the POIs, or gas stations, restaurants, ect., that the updates 'update'. This is another complaint I have. The listings of these various businesses don't seem very accurate. Still I try to have the best info I can with a somewhat current map update. Though not sure, I believe this info is provided by third party vendors and not Garmin also. I have been meaning to email Garmin with a bitch about this. If they want to keep people happy, they need current, accurate info.

So, this year is the IBR where I will be riding to hell and back and I want to know how to get there! I have been delaying due to owning 4 GPSs. I have tried on numerous occassions to get discounts, but it ain't going to happen. So, pissed off as I am, I updated with the lifetime program. Big upfront cost, but now I don't have to worry about additional costs for the (one) GPS for the rest of it's life. I can update every six monts or so and not have to worry about cost. Hopefully this GPS lasts a while.

The GPS user is pretty much stuck between a rock and hard place on this. But to a certain degree, so is Garmin, who also has to pay (Navteq) for the current map info. They really need to get this sorted out for the future as it will no doubt piss a bunch of people off.

I do however take solace that my last GPS purchases have been extremely inexpensive. $230 for a brand new SP2820, and $165 for a refurbished SP2730. It's due to those prices that I can (barely) swallow ponying up $128 for the lifetime map on my primary GPS.

BTW, it took *forever* for the new map (1.92GB) to download to the computer, and then to install to the GPS.

BUT I'M UP TO DATE! :yahoo:

One last thing, you can go to Navteq's website and bitch about roads that are not accurate. Still, it could take them a while to get it sorted out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but even that is more than the $0 that I normally spend on maps. I guess it's worth it if you would buy a couple of new maps anyway.

I still run into roads NOT in the maps, non-existent gas stations etc.
I wonder how Garmin decides which gas stations, restaurants, lodging, etc. to list on the maps. They certainly don't list all of them no matter how current your maps are or how long the places have been in business.

I would likely pay that for quarterly updates if they are worthwhile and if the Maps for life isn't device specific. Meaning I'm not dropping $119 for updates to my Zumo550 only. I'd want those updates on my Zumo9000 when it ships too.
Yeah, I would expect the upgrades to be tied to one serial number.

I would likely pay that for quarterly updates if they are worthwhile and if the Maps for life isn't device specific.
Garmin says it is:

"you will receive up to four (4) map Data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for one (1) compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires."

Yeah, but even that is more than the $0 that I normally spend on maps. I guess it's worth it if you would buy a couple of new maps anyway.
But I was to the point where I would have been charged, but I think they felt sorry after I paid $150 to have my Out of Warranty Zumo fixed.

I still run into roads NOT in the maps, non-existent gas stations etc.
I wonder how Garmin decides which gas stations, restaurants, lodging, etc. to list on the maps. They certainly don't list all of them no matter how current your maps are or how long the places have been in business.
Like Skooter says, it's not completely Garmins' fault, but they could hold their map providers to higher standards.

As for POI's I'm sure what's included has something to do with somebody paying someone else to be in a listing somewhere[tm]. I'm often shocked to see [Joe's BBQ] listed but none of the chains on a certain exit. I've never really found or noticed a theme. Some chains seem to be listed in some areas and not in others.

Yeah, I would expect the upgrades to be tied to one serial number.
Probably...

There are other nefarious ways to get the maps, and I may or may not have used those ways in the past... The current map unlock keys are NOT tied to your SN, but he web update might be.

Still if the info was more current. (The 2009NT maps don't have some very significant highway construction that I *know* was complete in 2008). It would be worth $119 one time buy to me if it did.

Still if the info was more current. (The 2009NT maps don't have some very significant highway construction that I *know* was complete in 2008). It would be worth $119 one time buy to me if it did.
Remember, Garmin map updates are much like early model year FJRs. The 2009NT map was available in early 2008. So may not have been out before your construction was completed. The map I updated to yesterday is 2010.

And yes, while they can be slow to get accurate, current info, at least now I can update to my heart's content (w/o having to get pissed off about paying more $$$) while I try to obtain that elusive, un-obtainable goal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, Garmin map updates are much like early model year FJRs. The 2009NT map was available in early 2008. So may not have been out before your construction was completed. The map I updated to yesterday is 2010.
Shoot, the Garmin map updates for my friend's unit, don't show roads that were completed in 1989 including large portions of major roads (east Curry Ford and south Alafaya Trail) in a major subdivision of Orlando (Waterford Lakes)

And until this year, they didn't show that I-4 and the East-West expressway have an interchange downtown, which has been there for 15 years, so it would route you all over downtown to get from one road to another. We're talking interstates and toll expressways here folks, not dirt roads.

That is pretty sad. For multiple wads of Jeffersons, they need to do better than that.

That is pretty sad. For multiple wads of Jeffersons, they need to do better than that.
I agree!

Not Garmin's fault though. Go to Navteq's website. They have a place to report map in-accuracies. They are the one's that need to fix it. With YOUR help!

You can report inaccuracies to Navteq here

I moved to a well established neighborhood (contains homes that have been here 20+ years) and all of the mapping programs and GPS units would try and take you down non existent roads that carry power lines.

One of my neighbors who has lived here 30 years said he could not recall that ever being a road.

About half of the actual streets the majority of us use were not even listed.

I submitted a description with what I was experiencing and what I thought was the correct solution on their website.

They sent back a trouble ticket via email in about 15 seconds.

It took about 3 months to reflect my input on google maps and Garmin 2010 now show the updates as well.

I have also updated a few POI's gas stations, restaurants, etc...

The problem I have with the Garmin Lifetime is their advertising.

I have never seen Garmin come out with any updates quicker than yearly (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010...)

IF they actually come through on their promise of up to 4 updates a year it might be worth it to some.

Otherwise I will stick to my average 50-70% of full retail ($99), and upgrade maps every other year.

Or just buy a new GPS every other year and get new <free> maps with it.

I agree!

Not Garmin's fault though. Go to Navteq's website. They have a place to report map in-accuracies. They are the ones that need to fix it. With YOUR help!
Why? I don't get any benefit from it. They might eventually make an update to the maps, which I then have to spend $100 to get my own damn update. Why should I contribute updates to them free, where they don't return the favor?

It's not like open source where you contribute code or docs or whatever, then everybody gets an immediate benefit.

And yes, it's Garmin's fault. Google doesn't have the problem, and they use a lot of the same suppliers. Apparently Tomtom doesn't either, from a check I was able to do this weekend. Why is Garmin the odd man out here?

I recently caved and signed up for the lifetime upgrade. I upgraded the maps last summer before I started this cross country trek. Even with "current" maps I have been sent down 5 miles of dirt road for a campground that doesn't exist, and watched the last segment of my gas gauge blink as I tour around the back roads of banjo territory passing abandoned gas stations, etc. I finally decided on the upgrade after being routed through enough one-way streets that were the wrong way (obviously new construction) and onto streets that end in new housing developments.

It took me quite a while to justify the price in my mind, being the frugal type that I am, but my cargo space is limited and it seems that I leave a stack of paper maps with just about everyone I couch surf with. Riding into unknown country on outdated information tends to make me nervous. I haven't put enough miles on the bike since the upgrade to decide whether it was worth it yet, but we shall see.

I wish I knew about the Costco deal beforehand, but I suppose I'll chalk that up to a "do some research, dummy" tax.

Hi Fred:

At Costco, was the lifetime updates bought at the customer service counter, or thru the purchase of a Garman device from them?

The last time I was there they are next to the Garmin devices. They have one of those cardboard things you take to check out. You can also purchase online for the same price plus $5.99 shipping.