Garmin Nuvi GPS (Car) with Motorcycle?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Nuvi 760 on a home made mount on the wifes bike. She was in a 40 mph head on accident. The mount broke but the Nuvi lived. I found it hanging on the wiring under the bike and it was still working. Not a good way to test it but it seems pretty tough.

I use a Garmin Streetpilot 550. The suction cup sticks to the tank very securely, and I can pull it of the bike and put it away quickly, so I don't need a security mount. I use it for an MP3 player more than the navigation. It's not the latest or most advanced GPS, but since it doesn't require any special mount I use it in different applications. I have a drink cup holder mount for my Silverado, and we even use it in the trusty Skyhawk mostly for it's MP3 player.

Actually, the Zumo 550 costs MORE than the 660 . . . .
The 2x5 and 7x5 series devices have the same screen detail limitations that the Zumo 660 does.

I'd suggest you go with a 7X0 (750/760/780) over the 765
BF,

Do you know what kind of Bluetooth the 780 supports? The reason I was looking at the 765 is that the Bluetooth is stereo and would (should) sound better with a BT headsets!

I will admit to liking the price of the 780 better ($200)! versus $350 for the 765!

Best Regards,

Shane
Shane;

Automotive GPS units do not pair with external headsets the way the Zumos do . . . that is one of the unique features to the current motorcycle specific Zumo models (a little birdie has told me there is yet anothr Zumo modl on the way to replace the 450 that will have no Bluetooth).

I have a Nuvi 770 that I rode with to CFO in four days of rain using only a plastic baggie for protection.

It works very well and I like the thin depth of it. No problem at all with seeing the screen in bright sunlight.

Git One.

More questions!

Is thee a difference in the 760/765 series on how the GPS is powered? That is, does the 760 require being powered through the cradle like the 765 or does the power adapter connect directly to the GPS?

The reason I am asking is that I want to place the GPS in a RAM MOUNT AQUA BOX 6 and then power it via a Gilsson direct connct power GUSB5V-B!

Thanks in advance,

Shane

I forgot to mention in my first post that I use a RAM mount specifically for my Nuvi. I was not happy powering the GPS throught the USB port on the side of it. It seemed to me that the USB cord was too heavy, and the constant vibration would eventually ruin the port. So, I used a car mount that powers the unit from the back and farkled it into the RAM mount:pics. Now the GPS clicks into the RAM mount and power cradle at the same time.

I did use the port on the side of the GPS to pipe sound into the Autocom, not really any choice there. Vibration is less of a problem for this connection as the cord is zip tied to the mount very near by. This might all be overkill, but I haven't had any problems with this setup so I like it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nuvi 760 on a home made mount on the wifes bike. She was in a 40 mph head on accident. The mount broke but the Nuvi lived. I found it hanging on the wiring under the bike and it was still working. Not a good way to test it but it seems pretty tough.
Yea, but how did the wife make out?

More questions!
Is thee a difference in the 760/765 series on how the GPS is powered? That is, does the 760 require being powered through the cradle like the 765 or does the power adapter connect directly to the GPS?

The reason I am asking is that I want to place the GPS in a RAM MOUNT AQUA BOX 6 and then power it via a Gilsson direct connct power GUSB5V-B!

Thanks in advance,

Shane
I am currently running that set-up on my bike. I have a 760 that I run into either the Aquabox or RAM's cradle for the Nuvi.....Both cradles use the Gilsson wiring directly into the unit itself, not the cradle.

I use the nuvi 760 and it works perfectly. The pixel of the screen is actually higher than the 550. I did however get caught in a sudden downpour (tried to make it through before the rain came....failed) and my 760 quit working after it became totally soaked. However, once it dried out, it worked perfect again and every since. I installed an 8gig card and have enoungh music loaded to cross the country several times and never hear the same song twice.

The use of a plain old sandwich bag is enough to keep it dry in heavy rain. My daughter just bought a new nuvi 760 for under $200. The sun does not interfere unless it shines directly at the screen, but then your body will block it out.

As far as the models made specifically for bikes being more durable, I've used my 760 over all types of rough roads to where it bounced around so hard the entire mount almost came off and it never missed a beat. I think Garmin tells you their bike models are designed to withstand tougher vibration to justify the hundreds of extra dollars they want for them.

The big thing, carry a sandwich bag with you in case it rains. That way, you can still push the icons on the screen (even with gloves on) to select your favorite tunes or find that hotel or gas station you need.

Big-D

How bout some pictures of the set ups? V65 looked at yours anybody else want to post? I currently have the techmount stem nut but my 2720 crapped out on me and was giving the Nuvi's serious consideration as a replacement. Garmin did knock the factory rebuild price down from $180 to $130. Still deciding which avenue to pursue. Looking for ideas and mounting options for the Nuvi's. Thanks.

I've got some that I can e-mail. Pictures are too large to post. PM me if you want them and I'll ship'em your way

Nuvi 680 on a RAM mount and no issues at all but I dont ride in the rain with it. I dont think the Nuvi has any spinning HD or anything like that to get damaged from vibrations....

If rain is expected I use my etrex vista cx with a RAM mount. Have had that setup for several yrs and no issues at all.

I run a Garmin 500 and I am very pleased with it.... It is waterproof, can be used with Topo maps ( when I put it on my quad for hunting season ) and you can load nautical charts for coastal cruising in your boat.... I have had no difficulties with it either from the vibrations on the bike or from the sun.The 500 is built stronger than my other Nuvi's and it does everything I want it to. Rich
Rich thanks for this info, I have been looking for a GPS that I can use on the FJR and my King Quad..how did you setup the mounts..pics?

Now stupid question I have Magellan maps and sofeware from my bud..any idea if these would work with the Garmin?

Will the unit really provide the detail we need on a quad...track trails in -out so we don't get lost. Show mines ect?

Take the abuse a quad will provide?

Bluetooth..any idea if it works with a interphone?

Thanks for your time!

Cary

My daughter just bought a "NIB" Nuvi 760 for $190 three weeks ago from Amazon.com. I think the number 760 has been upgraded to some new number, but the only difference is now it tells you which lane you need to be in when turning. Other than that, the 760 is a superb unit. and a great deal at the $200 mark. Once my daughter received her 760, she was allowed to download the 2010 maps for free from the Garmin support website.

Big-D

Been using the Nuvi 780 on my bike (and occasionally in car) since last November. Just returned from a 3k+ mile trip into Nova Scotia relying sololy on the Nuvi and had no issues. With only an open framed RAM mount, it rained considerably, but the clear plastic glad baggie and tie wrap worked well. My friends 2720 is water proof and was easier to manage when it came time to 'waterproof' mine. Nevertheless, the Nuvi worked well.

I am having BT issues with wind noise in the mic. However, I'm beginning to think it's my Shoie Multitec helmet, which is loud.

Over all, for the price point, it is very capable. If there is a concern for it's ruggability, then purchase the extended warranty as an inexpensive investment.

Hope this helps.

How do you connect power to the 760? Powerlet doesn't seem to make an adapter as near as I can tell.

Also, how do you connect power when using the Aqua Box? Is that possible?

Really thinking about the Zumo, but I have a very functional 760.