• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen 2 Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirttracker30

Reaction score
If anyone has interest in a Gen2 big tank let me know . I am getting ready to build one . 1200.00 to final primer stage( paint ready), Price of Ebay core tank included, extra 150.00 If you want it painted and cleared( you get me a paint # ,no colorite, PPG preferred)+ shipping( usually around 50 bucks through USPS). just drop me a line if interested.

I have one and can't recommend Jim's work highly enough. My FJR has "legs" like no one else's. If you are serious about putting miles one yours, this is a must-have.

Thanks Dave, I have to do something to support myself. 2 weeks of unemployment left and still no call back to the tin bending trade.I have to make some Daytona money!!

I got to see one of your creations at Stagecoach this past year. Very nicely done! So tempting for my 08. Great solution for 2 up touring without plumbing issues associated with aux. tanks.

GLWS

They're beautiful...I'm thinking, but I donno that I have the need! Sorry about work. Someone with your skill shouldn't have such a hard time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be happy to ;)

I can't say enough about Jim's work ethic and quality! I won't bore you with details but its a safe bet all of Jim's tanks are helibar friendly.

The tank just looks like it belongs there.

Thanks again Jim!
IMG_20130627_195641.jpg

And another

IMG_20130630_110646.jpg

In case you may wonder how he does it

catsandchuckstank008_zps173661af.jpg

Jim also painted my Aussie PoPo box while he had his black crayon out.

IMG_20130628_185953.jpg

Thanks Dave, I have to do something to support myself. 2 weeks of unemployment left and still no call back to the tin bending trade.I have to make some Daytona money!!
I'm going to be in Jax for the ss1000 this year. I'll be at loose ends for the last weekend of Bike week. Perhaps I can satisfy that beer debt?

If anyone has interest in a Gen2 big tank let me know . I am getting ready to build one . 1200.00 to final primer stage( paint ready), Price of Ebay core tank included, extra 150.00 If you want it painted and cleared( you get me a paint # ,no colorite, PPG preferred)+ shipping( usually around 50 bucks through USPS). just drop me a line if interested.
Jim, looking at the pics Chuck put up that just looks awesome. What's the new total capacity of the Frankentank? I assume you know the general dimensions and weight of the new tank, any chance to check on the USPS shipping cost to Tokyo, Japan?

@Chuck35, what kind of range have you been able to get out of your new tank?

Also, where did you buy those tank protectors from?

Hey Chuck, I will keep that at the top of my list. I haven't broke the news to the wife that I'm going yet ,work or no work(stashed cash) ,but I already have a nice rental in Ormond Beach booked,so we will talk before then. James K, My zip is 52235 in Hills Iowa And the tanks are around 22 lbs packed up. That will give you something to do todayLOL

Hey HotRod, the crashed tank I'm starting with is off a 07 so I can probably even find a close paint match on my end!!!!!! GO,GO,GO,GO!!!!! LOL!!

@Chuck35, what kind of range have you been able to get out of your new tank?Also, where did you buy those tank protectors from?
Range? with my throttle use? lol I have at least 9.5 gallons of useable fuel.

The protectors are TechSpec "Snakeskin" CLICKY

I didn't like any of the precut kits so I got their universal sheet and cut my own. I think I spent around $100 on the sheets and the crotch protector.

Hey Chuck, I will keep that at the top of my list. I haven't broke the news to the wife that I'm going yet ,work or no work(stashed cash) ,but I already have a nice rental in Ormond Beach booked,so we will talk before then.
If you have a couch or floor I can crash on, I'm IN!

Sat morning 3/15 I get booted out of the hotel in Jax and have nowhere to be until Tues the 18th (work)

JamesK, it looks like around 150.00 to ship priority as far as I can figure, with a box 20x20x20 at 22 lbs. with 1500 in insurance. If I didn't screw something up! then there is customs and their fee.

We leave for home at daylight on the 15th as the GNC Shorttrack races are Thursday,and Fri. Nights. We will blow through Jax around 6:00am on sat. Morn . If your heading towards home Sat morn you can hook up with us, and we will watch the two GT BMWs run low on fuel first. If we go up through Atlanta we will shut down at Paducah KY for the nIght ,If we blow by the Atlanta exit north and keep going east we will shut down at Hattiesburg or jackson MS. So damn close!!