• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen 2 Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We leave for home at daylight on the 15th as the GNC Shorttrack races are Thursday,and Fri. Nights. We will blow through Jax around 6:00am on sat. Morn . If your heading towards home Sat morn you can hook up with us, and we will watch the two GT BMWs run low on fuel first. If we go up through Atlanta we will shut down at Paducah KY for the nIght ,If we blow by the Atlanta exit north and keep going east we will shut down at Hattiesburg or jackson MS. So damn close!!
If I decide not to bum around Fla for the duration I'd love to ride with you guys. It may be Fri night before I can make that decision.

Perhaps we can do breakfast Sat either way?

I'd love to see what these look like...
Here's some of mine. it is on an '06 capacity is 9.6 gallons

DT's work is fantastic.

004-1_zps043009a1.jpg

003-2_zps4d90e364.jpg

001-2_zps113a62f4.jpg

Here's one from the Into the Unknown rally last summer.

IMG_8256_zps390f9087.jpg

Averaged 350 miles to the tank at rally speeds in Montana. I have a MLC riser plate, the handlebars clear the tank. At full lock they do not touch the tank bag.

Here is another shot of it loaded up on a trip. Capital Reef NP in 2012.

CapitalReefNP1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be happy to
wink.png
I can't say enough about Jim's work ethic and quality! I won't bore you with details but its a safe bet all of Jim's tanks are helibar friendly.

The tank just looks like it belongs there.

Thanks again Jim!

And another

In case you may wonder how he does it

catsandchuckstank008_zps173661af.jpg

Jim also painted my Aussie PoPo box while he had his black crayon out.

Very cool! That looks like a fun project!

If anyone has interest in a Gen2 big tank let me know . I am getting ready to build one . 1200.00 to final primer stage( paint ready), Price of Ebay core tank included, extra 150.00 If you want it painted and cleared( you get me a paint # ,no colorite, PPG preferred)+ shipping( usually around 50 bucks through USPS). just drop me a line if interested.
Just for clarification, the price includes the donor tank and that is not in addition to the $1200?

I know 10 gallons is big but is there any chance of getting closer to the IBA11.5 gallon limit? Personally, I wouldn't mind if it had to be a little John Ryan-esque to make it.

Big B, 10 is as big as they get,and still have handle bars clear etc.. And yes ,that includes the price of the donor tank in the 1200

I coulda swore IBA rules required a stop every 300 miles anyway. Is that wrong? If not, 11.5 isn't really necessary.

Either way, they are beautiful!

Big b, I just clicked on the John Ryan link. That is to kool ! He should of carve a couple little cubby holes in the back for a built in tank bag.

Actually, if the widest part of the sides were brought out a bit farther you might be able to get another gallon.

(I'm referring to the line just below the emblem)

I wonder if John's tank inspired the IBA rule?

Chuck, I've been looking at just that tonight also.not as easy as it looks ,but I am gonna give it a serious look when I get the next tank cut apart. I will have to weigh the time involved versus the gain

I coulda swore IBA rules required a stop every 300 miles anyway. Is that wrong? If not, 11.5 isn't really necessary.Either way, they are beautiful!
HRZ

That rule is for cert. rides only and is for ease of tracking for them. The rallies have the capacity rule, I am just under the max. and I usually can get 450+ out of my fuel at 80 mph.

I want to do a 2 up in Alaska, I think dt30's tank would be great for that. (+ trailer)

The 2up with a trailer is exactly why we did the tank. Works great. Plus with the trailer you can always carry extra gas if needed. It is funny how many people walk right by the bike and don't realize the tank has been modified. That is how good DT's work is.

JamesK, it looks like around 150.00 to ship priority as far as I can figure, with a box 20x20x20 at 22 lbs. with 1500 in insurance. If I didn't screw something up! then there is customs and their fee.
DT, thanks for the info, still thinking about this, certainly not based on the product or the great quality of work, purely money. It will likely be over $1,500 by the time I get it shipped and pay some shakedown fees (customs) so trying to figure out if/how I can manage this.

DT, thanks for the info, still thinking about this, certainly not based on the product or the great quality of work, purely money. It will likely be over $1,500 by the time I get it shipped and pay some shakedown fees (customs) so trying to figure out if/how I can manage this.
Do you have to pay customs fees on something you sent off for repair?