• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen 2 Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bike belonged to the late John Ryan. The tank held 13 gallons + and I suspect was the inspiration for the IBA rule dealing with the rear profile.

That bike belonged to the late John Ryan. The tank held 13 gallons + and I suspect was the inspiration for the IBA rule dealing with the rear profile.
I met up with John in Key West, FL at the end of his 96 hour UCC ride from Alaska.

I don't remember John mentioning anything that Devil's Mountain getting in the way of the bars, but he did say that it made a great head/chin rest on the IBA rides
smile.png

IMG_5396.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

IMG_5420.jpg

10 Gallons is about the limit to be had by upward expansion. With MCL risers the grips just clear the tank. In fact one quickly learns to rotate the thumbs upward around the grip when steering to full lock.

So the grips limit the top. Turning room for the bars limit the front. IBA rules limit the back. The bottom is limited by the airbox.

We have but 2 possible paths for further expansion, wider or modified airbox.

I wonder if I took two 3/4 gallon pieces of play dough could I make them attractively fit the sides?

Mine was Jim's first build where the bike had a replacement triple clamp. While this gave us more room above the tank, (than riser adapters) the front was tighter.

He had to "take another whack at it".

I wanted to replace my Helibars clamp with a MCL one due to MCL's increased forward grip rotation, so I had the new one shipped to him along with my tank.

Last edited by a moderator: