• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Gen 2 Frankentank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has been a bad winter here too. Was starting to drool when I went by snow blowers.

Hope to hear some good numbers for the tank.

see no evil, hear no evil, do no evil. This new one is a bitch, yours is big enough ,Chuck I probably won't get it welded and tested until I get back from Daytona, but I will try to get a pic or two with all panels tacked in to hold all of you over for a couple of weeks. I can say that this will probably be a 1 off because of the extra complexity of this one. stay tuned

Wow, that's a lot of work. This tank is going to be huge, plenty of range.

I sure as shit wouldn't want to try to pick up a dropped bike with that tank full
rolleyes.gif

And at +600 lbs dry, what difference will a few gallons of fuel make?

When you do the "noob drop" at the corner gas station in front of 20 people there is more than enough adrenaline for the task.

DAMHIK

It's hard to cover your face and pick up 600+ lbs. at the same time. I am going to work on it today if I can talk myself out of the house ,as the temp is -8 degrees right now. At least being laid off ,I have the option of staying warm!

I'm planning fuel stops for an upcoming SS1000...I sure could use just 1 more gallon
wink.png

As always, nice looking work!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you'll keep posting up pics of the job as it's progressing.

Would love to see the completed TIG welding and how in the world you manage to prep it for a dark gloss paint job that looks as good as you other tanks have...

I'm planning fuel stops for an upcoming SS1000...I sue could use just 1 more gallon
wink.png

As always, nice looking work!
Hey Chuck with this tank you'll probably be able to do the whole SS1K on one fill-up
rolleyes.gif

Hey Chuck with this tank you'll probably be able to do the whole SS1K on one fill-up
rolleyes.gif
I've got one of his tanks...This one is just going to be bigger :(

This will actually be the first long range test. If I stay off the throttle I should get a much better range than my work commuting.

That is assuming my butt, knees and bladder cooperate.

Nope I just put a bung plug in the pump hole and start filling. I think the pump would only amount to a 1/2 Quart ,don't you think?

well it's the biggest one built to date, but it didn't make the 11 gallon mark. It topped outta the top of the new vent holes at 10.5 gallons. The extra wok of cutting below the tank emblem ,and pulling the sides out approx 1 3/4 wider on each side only gained a half gallon. To much work for the gain. The only way this thing could gain more is by lowering the bottom section where the pump bolts in. Has anyone ever figured out if there is any airspace between the pump wires ,and the fuel line fitting, and the heat shield?? Have I finally found the limit?

Last edited by a moderator: