Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody noticed increased handlebar buzz with the front bars installed?

I just did mine this past weekend went for a ride and at 300 miles the buzz was intolerable. Never had the buzz before so I guess now I know what the fuss is about.

I'm coming up on 7000 miles and I know a TBS is due at 8k, but I found the coincidence interesting.

Bob

I just did mine this past weekend went for a ride and at 300 miles the buzz was intolerable. Never had the buzz before so I guess now I know what the fuss is about.

I'm coming up on 7000 miles and I know a TBS is due at 8k, but I found the coincidence interesting.

Bob
I would say double check the torque on the motor mount bolts (bolt on one side allen bolt on the other). I just rode 700 ish miles this weekend and didn't think the buzz was any better or worse than before.

Bob
I would say double check the torque on the motor mount bolts (bolt on one side allen bolt on the other). I just rode 700 ish miles this weekend and didn't think the buzz was any better or worse than before.
Make certain that you torque the left side first. There are spacers involved and they need to be seated properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob
It's funny you should mention that. I thought handlebar buzz was slightly reduced, but figured it was just my imagination. One of the tips to reduce vibration is to check torque values on the engine mounts...I dunno.

Yeah, I'm going recheck mine again tonight cause I'm pretty certain I did the right side first. (I thought that's what I remembered form the Skyway install).

I have an old knee injury which was operated on last year about this time. Unfortunately the pain is about twice as bad as it was presurgery. I have a folding cane which fits easily in one of the bags. Sometimes I feel pretty ridiculous getting off my bike after a nice brisk ride and pulling out the cane...but hey, whatever works. I have been investigating highway pegs in the hopes it would make the pain a little more bearable.

I followed the lead of another forum member and bought the $32.95 pegs off ebay. They look to be a very good value. Upon mounting them I became concerned about hard cornering. Even when mounted high they seem to stick out rather far. Also, when tightening everything up to a point my clodhoppers won't push them down angling toward the ground, they become quite difficult to fold up. I do like spirited cornering and they seemed a bit more trouble than they're worth, especially since my legs hit the fairing anyway.

Any ideas would be welcome. I'm wondering when or if Racing 905 will fabricate sliders. I have an old pair but no lathe to turn them. Sliders might offer just enough width to offer some relief from time to time. It would beat straightening my leg out into thin air anyway, which is what I've been doing.

I called Stephanie on Monday to say that I heard that the fitment for AE is solved. She said that she had a set ready to go so I told her to go ahead and ship to Garauld. Does she send a tracking number and email when she ships? My money is now 3 months old.

I called Stephanie on Monday to say that I heard that the fitment for AE is solved. She said that she had a set ready to go so I told her to go ahead and ship to Garauld. Does she send a tracking number and email when she ships? My money is now 3 months old.
Yes, you'll get a UPS shipment notification from her, or should if you don't see it in the next day or so I'd call her and ask. Or if you want me to follow up for you, PM me and I will.

-MD

Yeah, I'm going recheck mine again tonight cause I'm pretty certain I did the right side first. (I thought that's what I remembered form the Skyway install).
The instructions that came with my OES sliders said to start on the right side as well. The right side refers to your right side as you are seated on the bike not as you are looking at it front on.

I have an old knee injury which was operated on last year about this time. Unfortunately the pain is about twice as bad as it was presurgery. I have a folding cane which fits easily in one of the bags. Sometimes I feel pretty ridiculous getting off my bike after a nice brisk ride and pulling out the cane...but hey, whatever works. I have been investigating highway pegs in the hopes it would make the pain a little more bearable.
I followed the lead of another forum member and bought the $32.95 pegs off ebay. They look to be a very good value. Upon mounting them I became concerned about hard cornering. Even when mounted high they seem to stick out rather far. Also, when tightening everything up to a point my clodhoppers won't push them down angling toward the ground, they become quite difficult to fold up. I do like spirited cornering and they seemed a bit more trouble than they're worth, especially since my calves hit the fairing anyway.

Any ideas would be welcome. I'm wondering when or if Racing 905 will fabricate sliders. I have an old pair but no lathe to turn them. Sliders might offer just enough width to offer some relief from time to time. It would beat straightening my leg out into thin air anyway, which is what I've been doing.
I bolted a set of clamp ons high enough to cover the Racing 905 label. My pegs don't "fold down" but the fold up. Like you, they look like they're hanging out so far that they would scrape. They don't. Several of us leaned the bike over and it's not going to be a problem. And, if i rest the back of my ankle on the pegs, my legs are damn near straight. A welcome relief for a few minutes at a time.

Bob

I bolted a set of clamp ons high enough to cover the Racing 905 label. My pegs don't "fold down" but the fold up. Like you, they look like they're hanging out so far that they would scrape. They don't. Several of us leaned the bike over and it's not going to be a problem. And, if i rest the back of my ankle on the pegs, my legs are damn near straight. A welcome relief for a few minutes at a time.
Bob
Thanks, Bob, I'll give that a try.

I followed the lead of another forum member and bought the $32.95 pegs off ebay. They look to be a very good value. Upon mounting them I became concerned about hard cornering. Even when mounted high they seem to stick out rather far. Also, when tightening everything up to a point my clodhoppers won't push them down angling toward the ground, they become quite difficult to fold up. I do like spirited cornering and they seemed a bit more trouble than they're worth, especially since my calves hit the fairing anyway.

Bob
Which clamp-ons did you use? Got any pics?

The instructions that came with my OES sliders said to start on the right side as well. The right side refers to your right side as you are seated on the bike not as you are looking at it front on.
Skyway says left side first. But, is Skyway the most reliable source for this information?

Skyway says left side first. But, is Skyway the most reliable source for this information?
Yeah, I did right side as if sitting on the bike. Perhaps Mr. Skyway was thinking looking at the bike. Hell I dunno. All I know is, neither my sliders nor bars have come loose and my motor hasn't fallen out. :)

Sorry if I missed it in this vast thread but has anyone posted pics of an '06A with color-matched front bars installed? If not, would someone be so kind? In fact, any pics of a blue FJR with the bars installed would be great.

I'm debating black vs. having them painted.

TIA.

Sorry if I missed it in this vast thread but has anyone posted pics of an '06A with color-matched front bars installed? If not, would someone be so kind? In fact, any pics of a blue FJR with the bars installed would be great.

TIA.
Bars on my 06 :) (at least the fronts)

https://picasaweb.google.com/mdisher/FJRCrashbarTest#

I'll take better pictures this weekend. I just mounted some highway bars.

TIA.

So you've tested them already? Did they protect the engine case?

TIA.

So you've tested them already? Did they protect the engine case?
Yes, not a scratch on the bike fairings/engine case, etc. (except for the bags, for which I hadn't mounted the rears, and the mirror).

My Stator cover was already 'dinged up' from a previous parking lot drop in the first week of ownership.

TIA.
I am getting mine painted by Gary as Cerulean Silver. I do not know of anyone else doing this color. Gary has painted only one set when I last contacted him but I do not know if it was blue or burgundy.