Gen II hitch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take my bike into Dauntless Motors on July 24th to use as a prototype to create a hitch for Gen II bikes. I have read a lot of interest in a Gen II hitch for some time, it appears we will have one from Dauntless Motors starting next month.

On a side note, I would like to thank Andre for offering his bike for the fitting. Finding a date that work for Dauntless Motors and Andre just did not work. However, I do appreciate Andre's offer and effort on this.

John T.

John,

Please post updates to this thread. I have a Unigo trailer just waiting for a tow.

I'm hoping whatever they come up with will work for the Unigo.

Thanks!!!

I have had a Bushtec (www.Bushtec.com) hitch on my 2006 FJR1300AE for over a year!

I had it installed @ the Bushtec factory when I picked up my Bushtec Quantum trailer.... I have since sold the trailer (I found out I am not really a trailer person) but I have kept my hitch on (kind of looks cool)!

Best Regards,

Shane

I am scheduled to take my bike into Dauntless Motors on July 24th to use as a prototype to create a hitch for Gen II bikes.
I installed the hitch kit from Dauntless Motors on my '05 a few weeks back, John. Good kit, but the FJR they used as a prototype for that hitch didn't happen to be wearing saddlebags. So as a result, saddlebags wouldn't fit with that kit installed without modifications. Even then the bags are now a tight fit.

So when you take your bike into them, please be sure to bring your saddlebags! Future FJR riders will thank you. Actually, they probably won't know it's you they should thank, but at least you will be saving them an "ah, sh_t" moment! :)

Also, Jay Giese at Dauntless was very helpful in resolving that issue for me. Be sure to say hello should you see him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hugely interested in the outcome. I've been searching for Gen II hitch for some time. Dauntless stated about a year ago that they had no interest in developing a hitch for Gen II's due to low expected volume. I here to tell you I AM interested.

I spent months talking to suppliers and manufacturers about making a hitch available in the U.S. and while some were very helpful, some simply weren't interested in spite of the expected high price. ( Some quotes were over $500.00 per hitch. )

Needless to say, if the final price reflects the quality of the hitch, I'll get in line for one. Thanks in advance.

+1

I am curious about the weight capacity specs for it. I am looking to tow my YZ450F and riding gear with a yet to be built small custom trailer.

Medic...out

John;

I'd like to hear an update on this. I called Dauntless today; the shop manager said he didn't know you were coming! Let us know how this turns out.

I received a hitch for my genII bike in march and love it I bought it fromhitch

Looks great and I have pulled my bunkhouse camper on three trips with it, about 6000miles.

Total price was about 350.00

I received a hitch for my genII bike in march and love it I bought it fromhitchLooks great and I have pulled my bunkhouse camper on three trips with it, about 6000miles.

Total price was about 350.00
You have any pictures of this bad boy.. Want to know if I should order from Hitchusa or wait for the Dauntless fabrication.

+1

I think I know which hitch this is; made by a company called Denray out of Canada. I'm considering this hitch, but am concerned that the hitch placement will interfere with removing the rear wheel when the bike is on the center stand. The lady at Denray says this won't happen, but I'm not so sure--can you speak to that? How easy is it to get the wheel off for tire changes??

BTW, if it *is* the same hitch (and I'm pretty sure it is, since the only GenII hitch I can find anywhere is this one), you can also order it from MotorcycleHitch.net and save about $50. I spoke with the HitchUSA guy today, he gave me the identical part number as motorcyclehitch.net but quoted $295 plus shipping, vs. $245 + $55 shipping from mh.net.

The hitch did come from Denray, I did not know this until after I received it. At the time I was just happy to find on for a trip that was planned.

As far as rear wheel removal I did not have any trouble removing the rear wheel, you might have to set the center stand on a 2x6, but it will come out of there with no problems.

Hey racefan, anychance you could put up some photos of the installed hitch as there aren't any on any of the websites? Would be most appreciated, thanks.

Hey racefan, anychance you could put up some photos of the installed hitch as there aren't any on any of the websites? Would be most appreciated, thanks.
Here are some pics, sorry they are so large, I did not figure out how to make them smaller until the last pic.

100_1373.jpg

100_1374.jpg

100_0955.jpg

Thanks! racefan. The pics really help. I think I'm sold unless Dauntless' offering is really spectacular.

I already have a cargo trailer, just need a suitable hitch. Looks like this may be the one. Again, thanks.

John;
I'd like to hear an update on this. I called Dauntless today; the shop manager said he didn't know you were coming! Let us know how this turns out.
You are right he did not know I was coming till late on the 23rd.

I had been working with Jay the owner via email and phone calls and we set a date of the 24th. This date was set because he would be back from vacation.

I woke up at 3:00am on the 24th and hit to road to get to the shop at 8:00am on the 24th. When I got there I learned from the shop manager he did not know I was coming till late on the 23rd and could not work on my bike. Jay was not there, I guess he was delayed returning from vacation. So, we set a date for me to return on the 28th.

All-in-all I am not happy about it. I was aware Dauntless was in the middle of no-where so I took the wife with me and reserved a rental car. The plan was to go up to Seattle and sight see. So, I wasted $50 on a car rental I did not need, and got an ear full from the wife about getting her out of bed at 3:00am for nothing when she could have spent time with her mother she only sees twice a year. In addition, when I planned this trip I knew my front tire would handle the mileage without a problem. However, I am worried about cutting it close as the extra trip is adding an extra 1000 miles on the tire.

I was going to leave to return to Reno, NV on Monday, I guess I am leaving a day later now.

After spending nine hours today on the bike and eight hours at Dauntless today I am beat. However, wanted to give everyone a update.

Jay will give us a 20% discount if we purchase six units. Six is a weird number, but it is my hitch, plus five more. I will post something up in the group buy section tomorrow night when I get back to Reno.

After spending nine hours today on the bike and eight hours at Dauntless today I am beat. However, wanted to give everyone a update.
Jay will give us a 20% discount if we purchase six units. Six is a weird number, but it is my hitch, plus five more. I will post something up in the group buy section tomorrow night when I get back to Reno.

OK, I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I guess I'm in on the group-buy. I simply can't put this off much longer. I'm hoping we'll see some pictures of the finished product and pricing before we commit, right?