Getting my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- I'm fast approaching 40- very small frame - only 5ft 7in and approx 130 lbs...
suggest also look at a Suzuki Gladius, at least that's name it's sold as in the US.

650 water cooled V-twin, 6 speed, mechanically the same as the well liked SV650, which is very reliable and low maintainence.

has fairly low seat and nice reach to the handlebars. Style-wise it looks nice, too.

with caution, a new rider could learn on this m/c and not outgrow it,

unless he became interested in track days or long distance touring.

best wishes to you. my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
QUOTE (nik.hisham @ Oct 21 2009, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another aspect I'm concerned about owning a bike (which I did not ask earlier), be it an FJR or other, is the maintenance. No matter which forum I go to, it seems that every biker is very hands on in terms of repairs and such. I'm not particularly inclined this way. I prefer to leave the maintenance to the qualified people. I just want to enjoy my ride. Is the FJR similar to, say my Toyota which I only need to worry about putting in the gas and driving? Of course, I never miss the scheduled service for my car and it shall be the same for the bike.

Nik.

The only maintenance you need to do for yourself is checking the tyre pressures once a week (or before any long ride). It is worth checking the oil level while you're at it, you only have to glance at the oil level window and convince yourself there's oil in there - when the oil is new it's so clear as to be almost invisible
smile.gif
, though having said that, I've never had to top up my oil in 18000 miles.

Apart from the odd horror story, it's a bullet-proof bike (as are most these days).

One other point, you needn't be in too much of a hurry to get your "ideal" bike. At 40 you've many years to go. I'm 67, there are many others on this forum older than me. When I took up motorcycling after a gap of 35 years. I started on a Triumph Bonneville

(Click on image for larger view)

That was quite a good "re-starter". My advice would be to lose a year or so of "ideal" motorcycling while you get to grips with the skills, including managing the bike, the traffic, the roads and their surfaces, the weather, parking, the camaraderie and the anti-motorcyclists, all of which affect you very differently from when you're driving a car.

You may even decide that you would prefer a different bike after that experience, whether because your evolved riding style doesn't go well with a sports tourer or because there's a better bike out there, which would save you an expensive mistake. Personally, unless Honda bring out their auto, I'm stuck with the FJR, but that's another story.

Whatever you decide to ride, as others have said, ATGATT please, and let us know your progress.

Nik,

I agree with most that has been said here, but I must say that it's your decision. You must decide if you can handle the FJR. If you thinks its too big, heavy, powerful, etc, etc. then it is. If you feel in your heart that you can handle it, then you can. A 500 cc bike will kick your ass just as easily and as thoroughly as an FJR if you for one second disrespect or underestimate it.

Now, with whatever bike you choose, you must remember that there are inherent risks involved in motorcycling. Do not pretend that the risk isn't there, because it is. Its there for all of us. Oops hurts on a motorcycle.

So, take the MSF course. Learn to ride. Always ride within your level of comfort, ability and skill... and enjoy the hell out of it.

Having said that, obviously the plan for me is to take it very cautiously
No offense but starting off on a FJR is *not* "taking it cautiously".
Non taken. I'm glad I'm getting a lot of friendly advice from experienced people.

And thanks, everyone, for all the well wishes too.

Considering all the feedback, I've kind of backed off a bit from the FJR and am taking some time to research/compare other bikes as well. I think the main difference is weight. Other areas, I wonder if it makes much difference. Some areas, e.g. ABS, seems good to have. For seat height, most bikes are around the same height (31.7") and nearly all sport bikes have even higher seat height (32") than the FJR. (my inseam is 30.5")

Having said all that, its probably best for me to go to the dealer and sit on some of these bikes to get a feel for them.

In any case, I will keep you guys updated on what I finally buy.

Nik.

Alot of good advice here. Personally I rode dirt bikes for about 15 years before I bought my own street bike. Don't regret one minute of that. Started riding on the street when I turned 30.

Best advice if your serious is take a safety course and use their bikes. Then if still interested rent a bike that seems like the kind or style your interested in and then go from there. Good luck and main thing is don't ride someone else's pace if your in a group and don't go faster than conditions or the bike or your skill will allow, ever. And remember when your riding, other motorists can't see you, they are blind, and oh yea, they're trying to kill you! Great mind set to have when you are riding and never let your guard down. The second you do that's when stuff happens. Just be safe. Painman. <>< :D

I'm glad I'm getting a lot of friendly advice from experienced people.
And thanks, everyone, for all the well wishes too.
And that's exactly what it is for a lot of reasons. We don't want to see a fellow rider hurt (we all have horror stories about guys who have gotten in over their heads) and we want to see you ride for a lot of years to come.

Riding a motorcycle is an amazing experience but must be treated with respect and intelligence. While we love hearing about/from new FJR riders, we want to see you be a "rider for life" and not get a bike that you either won't be comfortable/capable on or, Heaven forbid, gets you into a situation you can't handle.

Please do!

Considering all the feedback, I've kind of backed off a bit from the FJR and am taking some time to research/compare other bikes as well. I think the main difference is weight. Other areas, I wonder if it makes much difference. Some areas, e.g. ABS, seems good to have. For seat height, most bikes are around the same height (31.7") and nearly all sport bikes have even higher seat height (32") than the FJR. (my inseam is 30.5")
Having said all that, its probably best for me to go to the dealer and sit on some of these bikes to get a feel for them.

Nik.
Good decision, Nik. Take the MSF course, get your license, and hit those dealerships hard. Be comfortable with your choice and have a ball.

I started on an FJR in 2008. First bike I ever had. I did not know the difference between bikes when I picked it out and made the purchase. Now I know that:

1. It is a fairly heavy bike.

2. needs many farkles to make it "right" for me....about $2k worth.

3. Is ment for street riding only, as opposed to other very comfortable and affortable bikes that can do both on road and off road riding. (adventure touring and dual purpose class bikes)

4. I also did not realise that the lighter a bike is, the easier it is to control/throw around.

5. Put a lot of thought into what kind of riding you will want to do. If you ride with your budies and they all have lighter bikes that can get off pavment then, you may not be able to go wher the ride takes you.

As much as I love my FJR, if I had it to do over I would probally get an adventure touring bike.

Consider these before buying a bike that does one thing very well.

here's a concrete scenario for you; youre about to take a corner, the road gets bumpy to the point of being popped off your seat, since you're new to riding your body gets stiff and as your body moves up and down, if youre not relaxed, so will your right wrist. a fuel injected bike like this reacts to the smallest of inputs and that bumpy corner just made you open and shut the throttle enough to lose traction on the front or spin the wheel in the back. what happens next is up to chance. an experienced rider can modulate a sensitive throttle to avoid upsetting the balance of the bike.

i went your route when i started and bought a kz1100 for my first road bike. talk about a heavy beast. 600 plus pounds! my second bike, VTR1000 taught me more about riding but was also more forgiving due to its 'flexible' chasis and good feedback but it's also the one that i had 2 accidents on. after 20 years of riding i bought my FJR.

if you really want to learn what a bike is doing under you, buy a small dirt bike, join a riding club, and try to beat the piss out of it. you will quickly learn to respect the physics involved. add a few hundred bucks to the price of the FJR to buy the dirt bike and learn what happens when you overload the traction of the front and/or back wheel. you'll be more relaxed when you ride the FJR.

Hi there

I am one of the new guys on the forum.

Can you find some who has a 250 or 450 dirt bike you can use . This is how I learn for a couple of years before hitting the road.

This will help to get back in the feel of riding ; without being on the road.

As stated any 1300 bike can be a beast and if you are not use to full fairing; it can drive you nuts on stopping and slowwww turning.

As stated make sure you give yourself a chance. Don t want to end up hurting yourself or hurting your bike :dribble:

Last bike I had was a 700 Honda Nighthawk years ago. It WAS a Big Jump going 1300. ;; but yea ; I love it.

Good Luck and Play Safe

Jim

Excellent advise, in masse! The common denominators are: Take a riding course, start out smaller and work your way up, and be prepared to drop the bike.

The riding course is the best thing you can do for yourself. Not only will it get you started with the proper habits, but you'll get in some "seat time" too. Out here, they're using 250's. See how it feels. If, by the time the course is over, you find the bike boring, buy a 400cc to 500cc bike. If the 250 is still a little scary, buy a 250-350cc. And buy a used one. Buy the nicest bike you can afford. When you grow out of that, you can probably sell it for what you paid for it. Your wife will think you're a genius! When I went from a 160 to a 550, I was pretty intimidated by the added size & weight. But 5 years (and a lot of good times) later, the jump to 1500cc wasn't as scary...or dangerous. Which brings us to the last, but not least, point...ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time). You're gonna hit he pavement...Do yourself a favor and save as much of your body as you can. The drop will be embarrassing, but you won't be bleeding. Without the gear, any get-off above parking lot speeds will result in a trip to the burn ward at the hospital, at best. Try explaing THAT to your wife!

At any rate, use some common sense, kudo's for asking questions, and welcome back!

Sorry, but I cant get past 5'7" & 130lbs and the FJR for a first bike....... You guys are much kinder than I am. I see a statistic in the making....... Newby, and lightweight combined makes for disaster and you'd be a fool to pursue the FJR for a first real street bike.

If you really want and must have a Factory ST, I'd suggest a bike like the BMW F800ST, very comfy, very capable, and very manageable for your size and ability. There are also other great bikes like the FZ6 series, and similar Kawasaki/Suzuki models, all fantastic motorcycles that exceed the ability of any beginner.

There are so many smart options out there, take the advice of the guys on this board, more wisdom here than you can imagine.

I am glad to hear that you are considering something a little smaller and more manageable for a first bike. Even being level-headed and educated you just make stupid mistakes when you are starting out. I started riding a couple of years ago and still haven't ventured to take my husband's FJR out for a ride, the extra weight makes a huge difference in slow traffic, manuvering in parking lots, etc.

If you fell in love with the FJR based on looks maybe an FZ6 would tide you over until you are ready for the FJR, add some hard bags and a back rest and it would probably meet your needs by the sound of it until you got some more experience under your belt. Good luck and enjoy learning, it's a blast!

I read through the entire two pages and I have something slightly different for you...

I grew up in south east asia and I am very well acquainted with the kind of traffic there. I now ride a FJR (v new to me so I dont do anything non-conventional) but before that, I used to ride a Royal Enfield 500 cc single cylinder thumper.

Like you I am someone who is not much into crotch rockets and have enjoyed more than 10+ years on my Enfield with leisurely cruising and non-aggresive driving.

If I was to have gotten the FJR at that time, I would probably not be alive today to post this. I have had a few serious accidents on the Enfield but because of the vehicles' relative lightness and restrictions on how fast it can go - not to talk of weight... I think I made out OK.

Reading about your riding preferences, do you think something like that would interest you? Why dont you get a triumph or a Enfield or something like that which will make fit into your riding preferences while also allowing you to take on extended trips without much hassle? I have driven 800+ kms in mountainous country in Nepal on my Enfield without any issues at all (apart from general regular expected oil leaks etc - these oldies are prone to that - but not with the newer engines from both Triumph and Enfield).

I would still love to have my Enfield in the US and agreed that the feejer and the Bullet are two completely different genres of motorcycles but see if that is something that would suit you... the newer Bullets are fuel injected electronic machines much like any other modern bikes...