Getting used to the power?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazyguy

Reaction score
Anyone else feel this way? When I first got my 05 FJR back in June of 06 (used)I couldn't believe the power, now I could use more low end torque,and I find I'm downshifting to pass more often. After not driving as much during the winter I must say this thing still got a lot of power but nothing like that first test ride.

It's hard to go slow on this thing!!!!!!

Thrust aclimation. Thus Tim "the tool man" Taylor's credo: MORE POWER!

Yep., I noticed the same thing. The problem is I find myself going faster and faster as I get accustomed to the power and speed.

Add me to the "I must be getting used to the power" cult, but a Florida Highway Patrol encounter at 85 in a 45 zone Monday will probably slow me down for a while.

:(

[SIZE=6pt]not to mention the $300 fine[/SIZE]

I feel my 04 isn't as fast as it was when I got it 2 yrs ago but my rear tire still wears out as quickly as it ever did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought my '05 on halloween evening :unsure: ...only got a few rides in before the Ohio winter hit. Got to take "Ole Blue" out this past weekend :D OH MY GOD !!!! This freakin thing is a rocket ship!!!!...get used to the power!? don't see that happening any time soon. I love this thing! :clap: :clap: :clap:

We could try NOS...

Now, wouldn't that be a kick in the ass!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think it would tick first, get worse, then power loss. That seems to what has been reported in the past. Don't worry about it, you're just getting used to the power; ain't gonna tick. (keep your fingers crossed though)

I was satisfied with the power of my GL1800 Gold Wing for a little while. Same story for the Hayabusa I just sold to make room for the FJR. Coming off the Gold Wing, I was very impressed with the power the first time I rode my Hayabusa. But, in just one year I had gotten used to it and had changed from a 40 tooth rear sprocket to a 43 tooth rear to get a little more wheelie performance. The only reason I did not put a 4-into-1 header on the thing, was that I couldn't decide whether to go that route or add a turbo. I was afraid the 4-into-1 header/power commander route would not be enough of a performance enhancement to be satisfying.

The real shock is when you go the other way, which is what I am afraid of with the FJR. I let one of my riding buddies ride my Busa one day while I rode his GL1800 Wing. That was the first time I had ridden a Wing in a year or so and could not believe that it seemed to have absolutely no power.

Your body adjusts to the g-forces. My dad owned a crop dusting service back around 1980. One of the pilots would always get motion sickness the first day that he would go back to work and then be okay for the rest of the season. One of the few times I got to ride with one of those guys, sharing the seat in the single cockpit AgCat with my head hanging half out the window, the pilot would fly down our airstrip and do a hammerhead turn on the end and go back the other way down the airstrip and do it all over again. After my ride was over, I asked him how he took that kind of pull on his body all day. He replied that he had gotten used to it and basically never felt the force, or at least did not pay any attention to it.

too_many_hobbies

I was satisfied with the power of my GL1800 Gold Wing for a little while.
I got to ride my new GL1800 for the first time yesterday (other than bringing her home a couple of weeks ago). I was anticipating a lack of acceleration, but was pleasantly surprised by the grunt of the engine. Thought that the beast handled quite well in corners also. I think that the FJR will provide me with the smiles that I require with performance. I figure that when I get used to the 'Wing a trip into the Rockies on the FJR will be even better.

I agree that after a while the initial awe of the FJR sort of goes away. It's still there, we are just accustomed to it.