Givi questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickster

Reaction score
Struggling to determine which to get -- the V46 or E52.

Have OHFJR's rack (orig size), and expect to use the E250 mount.

V46 is 17L X 22W X 13D Narrower, but taller

E52 is 23L X 11.5W X 16D Wider, but shorter and deeper, and stated to easily hold 2 full faced helmets.

Anyone had both, or care to comment? Would like to order (most likely from twistedthrottle).

Oh -- one other question -- is their G730 Gloss Silver anywhere near the base silver color on the 06 FJR's (mine's the AE, so it wouldn't match the side bags, but would match the other regular silver parts on the bike). And any experience with their paint durability (gloss silver, gloss black, matte black)

Thanks! :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know about the color match but Givi has done a great job of matching colors. Most go with the V46, I chose the E460 way back when. Both hold two full face but IMHO the V46 looks nicer and does the job. The 52 just looks too large but way better looking and funtional than the Yamaha box.

I just went with the N45 for two reasons.

1 - it's cheap and basic black goes with everything.

2 - I already had it and I switch it off between my bikes :)

IMG_2972.JPG

I like the V46 - nice compromise of design and not being *too* big, but it would look stupid on my cruiser and I don't want to drop the extra cash for more boxes - I can only ride one bike at a time, anyway.

I've been debating the same thing. Stopped a guy on the road the other day with a E52, he loves it and it didn't look too large on his suzuki SV.

Pictures of the V46 with OHFJR rack look great too.

My farkle slush fund will be stoked enough next month for one or the other...

I went with the V46 along with the OHFJR Givi rack and the E250 mount. Very please with the setup.

+1 on Gary McCoy from University Motors. Best price on the V46 ($210)

I chose the V46 because it has the color matching lid option. Match is perfect for my '05. I easily fit 2 full helmets in mine, laying on their sides, and there is room on top of them for some other small things.

I also got the optional rack that mounts on top of the box. It looks nice and provides a place to attach tiedowns. It also serves as a convenient handle when you take the box off the bike.

That said, there have been times when I would have liked the bigger box and I would have gotten the 52 if I liked the color.

First let me say I have the V46 and I like the size. If you do alot of 2 up riding the bigger e52 might be a good idea.

I have a question though. Why do lots of people seem to be concered with the fact if will fit two helmets or not. Do you guys actually ride with an empty trunk just to have a place to put your helmet?

Airshow046.jpg

Airshow044.jpg

I am in the process of making up a LED light kit for the V46 for both tail and brake lights. I don't know if the other Givi models have the option of adding lights to them.

I am in the process of fabricating the circuit boards and building up a few initial kits to see how it works out. I have one on my own bike and it really adds to the rear visibility of the bike.

Brake Lights on

medium.jpg

Tail lights only on

medium.jpg

I am in the process of making up a LED light kit for the V46 for both tail and brake lights. I don't know if the other Givi models have the option of adding lights to them.
I am in the process of fabricating the circuit boards and building up a few initial kits to see how it works out. I have one on my own bike and it really adds to the rear visibility of the bike.

Very nice. I would be interested in a set of these when you are ready to sell them.

Well, I drove to Cincinnati and looked at both, I'm sure that if they were up against one another the 46 might look a little better, however I opted for 52. There is a lot of black on the bike and it looks fine for me.

It is true that it will hold two full face helmets, but no much more unless it is stored in the helmets.

I will say that I can put, my helmet, boots, jacket ,pants in the 52. it is a snug fit. but it all fits in there!

I did not think the 46 would allow as much in it; when I compared the two at the dealer before purchasing last year.

I do have to say that a lady I work with stated that she really took a good look at my bike the other day and prefers the bike without the top case look. So if your in it for looks, you'll probably should not get a permanent top case.

I bought the 52 thinking it would rarely be on the bike. As it turns out it has yet to come off and is often full of stuff. I think I would have been disapointed if it were smaller. You stuff a leather vanson and some Moto GP grid pants in there with a tank bag so you don't have to lug them around with you and its pretty much full. Then the side bags have rain gear and the girlriends purse, coat etc. Helmets on helmet holder. Where did all this crap come from! I need more storage! Go with the big one, you won't regret it.

Givi has color for all sizes now so thats not an issue. OHFJR, I see you on this thread now so a quick question. Will the small rack fit the E52 with Fred's web mounted holes pre drilled

I have the 46 on my '05.

After doing the ride to WFO, Kali, CO & then home, I wish I had bought the bigger box. Not that I don't really like the 46, just wishing I had a few more cubic inches for those long trips...

I am thinking of the 46 or else custom mounting a Pelican hard case. In either event it is important to me to be able to easily remove / install the unit, whenever I did not want the top case mounted. How easy it is to do this with the Givi product?

I bought the E52 because of the aesthetics. It's a little less Jetson than the V46. I bought the black because I figured the top box would be going on and coming off the bike more frequently than the bags (which are pretty much just left on), and would likely be scratched by the clod moving the box around. Somehow, the thought of scratched black plastic was a lot less troubling than the thought of scratched paint. YMMV.

Using the E52 and the sidebags, I was able to take enough stuff for a 10-day trip to WFO last month. I only hit rain once, but it was a couple hour downpour in the Rockies on the way back. The contents of the E52 stayed bone dry.

I am thinking of the 46 or else custom mounting a Pelican hard case. In either event it is important to me to be able to easily remove / install the unit, whenever I did not want the top case mounted. How easy it is to do this with the Givi product?
Easier than installing/removing an FJR side case. Basically, you slide the Givi forward over two tabs on the mount that look like capital els mounted short side to the mount, with the long side pointing to the rear. Once pushed on to the two tabs, you just let the rear edge of the Givi down onto a vertical third tab and it clicks into place securely. Then you turn the key to lock the release mechanism and remove the key. An experienced person standing behind her bike could do this maneuver in about 5 seconds.

The givi has a release latch it removes in seconds.

I have the 52 and love it. I keep it on all of the time and usually have the side bags off.

I can easily load about as much in the 52 as I can in both side bags and it is easier to use.

Go with the 52 on the FJR and you won't be sorry :D