Gliding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why can you only shift into first or second. If you move the shifter up several times doesn't it shift up each time even if you don't release the clutch between shifts? That's how my Harley works anyway.
Well, yes, but unlike a non-sequential manual transmission which can go straight into any gear from neutral, you're acutally going into 2nd gear even if you don't let the clutch out. The internal tranny parts (input shaft) will need to speed up a lot to match the high speed of the output shaft. This can and will cause problems.

+1. I'd agree with all of that. So the moral of all of this is, "glide" to your hearts content, but you'd be best doing your "gliding" in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Sorry, you AE guys are excluded from the FLR gliders club... :rolleyes: Guess you'll have to stick with the regular pilots.

Can't see that gliding accomplishes much compared to leaving the bike in gear with the throttle off. How much gas can you save?

Can't see that gliding accomplishes much compared to leaving the bike in gear with the throttle off. How much gas can you save?
Hey, it ain't my thread. If I'm riding, I'm twisting it. (In gear)

Sometimes I enjoy gliding down a long, moderate hill near my house. It's about 3/4 of a mile from top to driveway. Is gliding unhealthy for the FJR?
(gliding is my way of being the opposite of all the HD cruisers with their screaming meemie pipes blipping there way through the neighborhood....)
I used to live by the Santa Cruz Mountains in San Jose, CA. There were people that used to coast down the hills. Long time ago, I vaguely recall that I was told some of them trashed their rear ends (this is cars) because the differential is designed to have a load on it. Then you gotta wonder about those folks that tow their cars behind their RV units for miles on end.

If the RVers have any brains, the cars they are twing are FWD, with the front on some kind of lift, some 4wd vehicles like the Jeep Liberty can be towed 4 down, and there's also a tranny pump they can connect to the tranny to keep it lubricated....

Of course there's always peeps like my friends that had an old Honda Civic... and kept forgettiing to put it in neutral... <G>

After replacing the tranny twice, they just stopped towing a toad...<G>

Coasting is fun! Not terribly safe in a car, tho.... <BG>

Mary

Hey, I live in a motorhome and I like to think I have brains. I don't tow my car behind it. I just carry the Feejer on a rack on the back. Both wheels off the ground and engine off. Does this count as coasting?

If this is being done for fuel savings it is probably making things worse. Most fuel injection profiles have zero fuel flow with the throttle closed above 1500 rpm, meaning, with engine at idle you are using more fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gliding, Coasting, Assless Chaps, whatever you call it, I think you need one of these.............

Yamaha_Scooter.jpg

I've towed my Jeep Rubicon ('05) over 20K behind the motorhome, Just put it in gear & take the transfer case out of gear . . .I did notice that if you don't unlock the steering column front tire wear is excessive ! :rofl: