Going across the USA on my motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, sorry for the late update guys. I've been super busy since completing the journey.

We got back on Oct 12th sometime in the evening. We left Los Angeles on Sept 20th.

Our trip lasted 23 days start to finish and was 7,565 miles from the time I left my house to the time I got back. :D

Some things I learned from this experience:

1. The USA is a beautiful country, filled with awesome places and friendly faces. I can't stress that enough.

We barely scratched the surface, but I can tell that there's so much natural beauty out there, that it would take a lifetime to see them all.

Not once did we feel unwelcome in any of the places we visited. Everybody was so nice and friendly. Made the trip that much more enjoyable.

2. Don't sweat the little things.

There were times where:

- we would ride into town really late and didn't have a clue where to stay, eat, take a sh*t, etc.

- our GPS broke and we hadn't the faintest idea where we were

- we were riding in rain so heavy I couldnt even see the lines on the road

- etc., etc., etc.

But you know what... we hung in there and in the end, everything turned out OK.

What I'm trying to say is life is too short to be worried about petty things. Just smile, look at the big picture, and enjoy the ride :)

3. "Get busy living, or get busy dying." - a quote taken from one of my favorite movies (Shawshank Redemption).

If you want to do something, and you have the means to do it, then just do it. Don't let anybody stop you or talk you out of it.

If you don't, it may be too late and you may never have the opportunity to ever do it again. Then you gotta live the rest of your life thinking how it could've been.

4. Be thankful for the life you have. Stop looking at what you DON'T have and start appreciating what you DO have.

Be happy that you're alive and live comfortably. Shiet, some people don't even have a roof over their head or have food to eat.

This trip made me appreciate what I have BIG TIME. I've been very fortunate and I would never take it for granted EVER.

The trip was simply amazing :)

Would I do it again? Hell yes.

Would I do anything differently? I wish I had more time to see more places. But even so, I had a helluva time.

Would I recommend doing it? Absolutely. You owe it to yourself.

So what's next adventure for me?

Thinking of riding down Baja California to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

I gotta get a different bike for that trip though, cuz I wanna take some dirt roads along the way. Thinking of getting a Suzuki V-Strom or a Kawasaki KLR. Keeping the FJR though, I just love that bike. Especially after this trip :)

My dream trip would be to ride to South America, all the way down to the southern tip of Argentina. That's gonna take some planning and a lot of time (8-12 months) but I'm working on it ;)

Well, that's about it. Hope you guys enjoyed all the pictures and updates.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

Until next time... Shiny side up! :D

myke

Last edited by a moderator:
My dream trip would be to ride to South America, all the way down to the southern tip of Argentina. That's gonna take some planning and a lot of time (8-12 months) but I'm working on it ;)
myke
I like the way you roll, myke.

Your dream trip is also my dream trip. I've been chewing on that one for years. I have no doubt you'd be a fantastic riding partner. Please post or send a PM should you start trying to lay the trip out on a calendar.

I should share with you that I'm having that "Welcome to New Mexico" picture with the rock band (Ex Mortus) framed. I've decided it's something I'd like to see every day as a reminder to suck all the juice out of every moment.

Best...

1. The USA is a beautiful country, filled with awesome places and friendly faces. I can't stress that enough.

3. "Get busy living, or get busy dying." - a quote taken from one of my favorite movies (Shawshank Redemption).

4. Be thankful for the life you have. Stop looking at what you DON'T have and start appreciating what you DO have.
Words to live by. And your actions demonstrate them well, Myke.

Thanks,

Fred

myke

Your dream trip is also my dream trip. I've been chewing on that one for years. I have no doubt you'd be a fantastic riding partner. Please post or send a PM should you start trying to lay the trip out on a calendar.

I should share with you that I'm having that "Welcome to New Mexico" picture with the rock band (Ex Mortus) framed. I've decided it's something I'd like to see every day as a reminder to suck all the juice out of every moment.

Best...
I'll let u know about the S. America trip. I'll start researching now. You better practice your Spanish now, LOL.

Lmk if you want the high-res version of that picture, I have it saved on my hard drive.

myke

I had a wonderful time on YOUR ride. Thanks for sharing it. I am going on my first extended "Pee Wee's Big adventure" in late May/early June to RIDE THE ROCKIES.

Ed

Well, sorry for the late update guys. I've been super busy since completing the journey.
We got back on Oct 12th sometime in the evening. We left Los Angeles on Sept 20th.

Our trip lasted 23 days start to finish and was 7,565 miles from the time I left my house to the time I got back. :D

Some things I learned from this experience:

We barely scratched the surface, but I can tell that there's so much natural beauty out there, that it would take a lifetime to see them all.

Not once did we feel unwelcome in any of the places we visited. Everybody was so nice and friendly. Made the trip that much more enjoyable.

There were times where:

- we would ride into town really late and didn't have a clue where to stay, eat, take a sh*t, etc.

- our GPS broke and we hadn't the faintest idea where we were

- we were riding in rain so heavy I couldnt even see the lines on the road

- etc., etc., etc.

But you know what... we hung in there and in the end, everything turned out OK.

What I'm trying to say is life is too short to be worried about petty things. Just smile, look at the big picture, and enjoy the ride :)

If you want to do something, and you have the means to do it, then just do it. Don't let anybody stop you or talk you out of it.

If you don't, it may be too late and you may never have the opportunity to ever do it again. Then you gotta live the rest of your life thinking how it could've been.

Be happy that you're alive and live comfortably. Shiet, some people don't even have a roof over their head or have food to eat.

This trip made me appreciate what I have BIG TIME. I've been very fortunate and I would never take it for granted EVER.

The trip was simply amazing :)

Would I do it again? Hell yes.

Would I do anything differently? I wish I had more time to see more places. But even so, I had a helluva time.

Would I recommend doing it? Absolutely. You owe it to yourself.

So what's next adventure for me?

Thinking of riding down Baja California to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

I gotta get a different bike for that trip though, cuz I wanna take some dirt roads along the way. Thinking of getting a Suzuki V-Strom or a Kawasaki KLR. Keeping the FJR though, I just love that bike. Especially after this trip :)

Well, that's about it. Hope you guys enjoyed all the pictures and updates.

I'll be glad to answer any other questions.

Until next time... Shiny side up! :D

myke
VERY well spoken. I love your spirit. This has been a great ride report....for us, we're sorry its over.

Thank you for taking us on your journey of a lifetime.

myke

Best...
I'll let u know about the S. America trip. I'll start researching now. You better practice your Spanish now, LOL.

Lmk if you want the high-res version of that picture, I have it saved on my hard drive.

myke
myke-

I speak enough Spanish to get by in the jungle.

That's a big hells yeah on the hi-res version of the photo. I'll PM you with my email address.

Thanks!

Best....

That looked like you had a great time, and I think we all appreciate that you kept us updated throughout the adventure. It's awesome that you got to take that time. One of these days, I'm gonna give work the finger. Actually, I'll give it a polite wave so it's still waiting for me when I get back from my month off. Gotta pay the bills you know.

Here's a better pic of me riding thru the Tail of the Dragon:

img_3626-text.jpg

myke

I did it in the late '80's I was moving from Atlanta to WA. I went the northern route in April and had 2 weeks to get to the new job. Way cool and fun . I did it alone and it was great to roll into towns you have never been to, and most likely never get to again.

GREAT Post,,,,,,,,

I really enjoyed the pictures and the info. about the trip ....

Looks like a great trip ....

Thanks for sharing,,,,,,,,,,

great thread and thanx so much for sharing

I'm so looking forward to my planned trip to Key West in the spring with some riding podnas.

My only question (tongue in cheek) is "how many fubarred ignition switches did ya'll go through ??? :rolleyes:

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator: