Going across the USA on my motorcycle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
img_5540.jpg
I was a teenager when they started that water tower. For many years it did not have a leaf or stem, and was painted a basic flesh color. It looked like an ass-crack. Funniest thing you ever saw!

I also remember that ugly bridge thing from my trip to WFO-06. Lewis & Clarke deserved a better memorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never seen someone smile as much as you do...what a great attitude to go through life with. Good luck to you guys and keep the pictures coming.

Some pics from today:

When we woke up this morning, we woke up to pouring rain:

img_5621.jpg

We packed our stuff up and rode in the rain anyway. Thank God for the rainpants we bought in PA, they've been a blessing so far.

My buddy's bike needed a new front tire bad. We stopped at the Yamaha dealer in Memphis and he got a new tire put on. I took advantage of the down time:

img_5624.jpg

After that, we were pretty hungry so we gassed up and ate at the Chester's.

OMG, everything there was fried (chicken, okra, livers, gizzard, corn, potato wedges). I think I gained 5lbs from that meal alone... had to try it though:

img_5626.jpg

We rode for a bit and crossed into Arkansas:

img_5627.jpg

I couldn't pull over for a proper picture since the sign was in the middle of a bridge.

We rode for a while and saw this which I thought was kinda neat. Never seen a house/trailer being transported:

img_5628.jpg

img_5629.jpg

We rode until sundown and stopped at a small town called Russellville, AK.

It turned out to a big mistake. Come to find out it's in a "dry county" so there is ZERO alcohol sales here. No bars, beer, NOTHING :(

We walked to the local Wendy's (only place open) to eat. While there, I made new friends:

img_5630.jpg

So here I am at the hotel room. Completely sober ;)

We're thinking of getting started early tomorrow. We're headed to Amarillo, TX. If anyone in the area wants to hang out, lemme know 323-899-5550

To be continued...

myke

It turned out to a big mistake. Come to find out it's in a "dry county" so there is ZERO alcohol sales here. No bars, beer, NOTHING :(

IB,

I've been to many dry counties, IT SUCKS!!. I've driven many, many miles to the next county line just to grab a 6 pack and get back to the hotel.

Unfortunately, that is part of life!. It always feels good to wake up in the morning, jump on your bike and get the hell out of there.

Alcohol, is a staple of life!!. (I think that's in the Bible somewhere) I don't get the whole "dry county" concept. What the hell is up with that???

Look on the bright side, All of this new national exposure will make you love CA even more. You learned that you can smoke indoors in some states,

but, in other states you can't even drink liquor!!. You are going to get back home and look at life just a little differently now.

Still having a blast keeping up with you guys! Hang Tough, and be Safe. Keep the pics coming!

Dry counties are a dual effort between preachers and moonshiners. No joke.

You should have asked at the hotel because Russeville is maybe 20 min. from the liquor in either directions.

If I would have known you were going to Arkansas I would have told you to go to The Whole Hog Cafe in in Little Rock.

I think I did eat the whole hog last time I was there.

We rode for a while and saw this which I thought was kinda neat. Never seen a house/trailer being transported:
img_5628.jpg
I cannot believe you have never seen that. Those things are a regular occurrence around here. What good is it having a mobile home if it's not actually mobile?

You guys have a good time. I'm still jealous.

Some new pics:

We left Arkansas and turned back so I can get a proper picture:

img_5634.jpg

Somewhere in Oklahoma, we got hungry. We saw this place called the Pig Out Palace:

img_5636.jpg

We just HAD to stop in, and I thoroughly pigged out :D

img_5638.jpg

Glamour pic of our bikes, they've been great so far:

img_5640.jpg

Oh, and I've been sporting my new license plate frame:

img_5642.jpg

Somewhere west of Oklahoma City, we met a really cool couple named Bill and Laura. They had a monster Honda Goldwing pulling a trailer. Real nice folks with lots of moto stories:

img_5643.jpg

Saw some cool windmills again;

img_5645.jpg

Saw a nice sunset in Northern Texas, so many cool colors:

img_5650.jpg

img_5657.jpg

We made it to Amarillo, TX last night but we were pretty tired so we just called it a night.

Today we made it back to Albuquerque New Mexico. Based on some people's recommendation, we visited the famous Dog House;

img_5660.jpg

Pretty darn good!

img_5663.jpg

We're staying close to the downtown area, prolly gonna go out later tonight and paint the town red :)

To be continued...

myke

img_5628.jpg
I cannot believe you have never seen that. Those things are a regular occurrence around here. What good is it having a mobile home if it's not actually mobile?

You guys have a good time. I'm still jealous.
Not much of those in SoCal

myke

Myke,

I cannot get over this thread - it is totally cracking me up. Either you are standing under a state sign, or your stuffing down a hearty plate of fried various animal parts.

But in every photo, you have a huge smile on. I can feel the road therapy from behind my keyboard. Too cool.

Please don't go home. Just keep riding around the country and posting. I also hear Mexico is nice this time of year...

-BD

Myke,

I'm having so much fun on this trip! Well, watching it unfold. I've just caught up with you guys. I'm in Charlotte, NC, and I hated to see you were here and I didn't know it. Should have been reading every day.

I think you'd have fun and a smile on your face whatever you were doing. What a great attitude you have. Have a safe trip the rest of the way.

Tom

That was such a terrific thread that I think we should take up a collection to send these guys on another smiling adventure next year! I feel like I just traveled across the country in the span of fifteen minutes. Thanks for sharing your experiences with a crowd who really appreciates them.

That was such a terrific thread that I think we should take up a collection to send these guys on another smiling adventure next year! I feel like I just traveled across the country in the span of fifteen minutes. Thanks for sharing your experiences with a crowd who really appreciates them.
img_5614.jpg

Forget them. Take up a collection to send me and the hot waitress in the black and white stripes to go across country next year. I send back some pictures of that one.

:chickawow:

I too would like to hear the stats from this trip. For example, total miles ridden, number of states visited, amount of calories consumed, number of kisses from women of the "service" industry, etc.

Fun report! :clapping: