Going out doing what you love to do...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few of you are aware, some not, that I have incurable bone marrow cancer. (Multiple myeloma). I will eventually die from the side effects of the disease.
Speaking from a non-philosophical viewpoint, I'd rather be struck in the back of the head by a baseball sized meteor than die "doing what I love". After all, motorcycle accidents are preceded by fear and panic. Death is preceded by pain and confusion.

However, either option would be faster than what's going on now for me.

I wrote a piece in my blog some time ago about the minor blessing those of us with terminal diseases get. It has to do with our ability to say what needs to be said and correct what needs to be corrected before we go. We have the time and the perspective to do the right thing for/with our friends and families.

Since none of us wants to have regrets as we pass, I urge each of you to get right with your lives, in whichever way you find appropriate. We will all eventually die and none of us knows exactly when.

Wow, wow. Takes courage to write this. I gained something by reading it. Thanks.

A few of you are aware, some not, that I have incurable bone marrow cancer. (Multiple myeloma). I will eventually die from the side effects of the disease.
Speaking from a non-philosophical viewpoint, I'd rather be struck in the back of the head by a baseball sized meteor than die "doing what I love". After all, motorcycle accidents are preceded by fear and panic. Death is preceded by pain and confusion.

However, either option would be faster than what's going on now for me.

I wrote a piece in my blog some time ago about the minor blessing those of us with terminal diseases get. It has to do with our ability to say what needs to be said and correct what needs to be corrected before we go. We have the time and the perspective to do the right thing for/with our friends and families.

Since none of us wants to have regrets as we pass, I urge each of you to get right with your lives, in whichever way you find appropriate. We will all eventually die and none of us knows exactly when.

Wow, wow. Takes courage to write this. I gained something by reading it. Thanks.
+ 2 -- Rog n Debs

Didn't want to post in the other thread but this is something that has always bugged me.
Ever since I asked a friend at work "Who died ? " several years ago with a smile on my face cuz he was wearing a suit instead of his normal jeans and found out it was indeed the case, I've tried to be a little more sensitive.

Anyway, the phrase "at least ___ died doing what they loved to do" doesn't make me feel any better, nor I'm guessing the family either.

Especially if it's something risky that they are likely currently really pissed that the person participated in.

I mean, I like to target shoot but I'm not going to be very happy if I or someone else happens to accidently shoot me dead while I'm doin it.

Pretty much the same thing if I take myself out on the bike. I know my wife will be mad as hell at me and likely go ape shit on the first person who lays that phrase on her.

Not trying to belittle anyone who feels differently or has already said it so please don't take it that way.

What do you all think, am I off base here ? Just something that struck me once again while thinking about our downed brother Larry, his family and friends. - Ross

Deleted comment it was inadvertantly tasteless in light of above comments....

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my dad when I was young, and for those who have been raised by one parent, you know how hard it can be growing up without a mother or a father.

I lost my wife to cancer when I was 29, and for those who have lost a spouse, you know the sense of pain that never quite fully leaves.

I've lost close friends and relatives.

Death is part of life. You can decrease its odds, but you can't outrun it.

All of these experiences have taught me several things, many of which have been said here already:

(1) It's what you do with your life when you are on this earth that matters, not how long you are here.

(2) Do what brings you joy, so long as it does not hurt other people.

(3) If what brings you joy also has the potential to impact the life of someone you love, plan for this potential: have a will, get too much life insurance, don't put off the things that money cannot replace (time with your s/o or kids).

(4) Don't be afraid of life.