Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked Rim Repair Kit:

Many thanks eeksnake!!!

P6100363.jpg

Exskilbum, what I was referring to about risk was about actually riding the motorcycle and not legal stuff. The argument you have is a different risk entirely and can be extrapolated to aftermarket lights, cruise controls, throttle locks or potentially using synthetic oils instead of recommended oils from the manufacturer. So could we stick with risks with the motorcycle only?
You're right, Doc. I should have PM'ed you regarding the breadth of your question before presuming that what I had to say would be considered as simply one more observation worth noting in a decision to darkside or not to darkside. I have blindspots like everyone else, and assumed that confirmed darksiders would simply accept my comments as already known or simply reject them and move on. I probably should have known that it would result in angry resistance from some who have already made up their minds. My bad.

FWIW, I didn't comment on the way a CT feels because I haven't ridden on one, and because piling on to what many other commenters have posted about design, engineering or expected performance would add nothing. FWIW, I have been riding motorcycles since 1965, have been doing almost all my wrenching since about 1970 (including an engine rebuild and the complete disassembly/reassembly of two MCs), and doubt there are any who have ridden with me who think I suck as a rider. Still, telling you what a CT rides like would be BS, and there are others with better tech and engineering credentials than I have. OTOH, fifteen years ago, I might have been the guy evaluating the accident case and telling the claims rep (who doesn't want to pay any more $$ than he must) what issues support us in litigation and negotiation. So I told you what I know, not realizing you didn't want to hear that.

As for other comments, I really wish the condescending and personal attacking terms regarding those choosing to give a CT a trial would stop.
Me too. But I think it would be beneficial if that applied to both sides, or if both could roll with it a little better, rather than acting like a bunch of moody women with a serious stake in the subject of this internet discussion.

It is a personal and individual choice. I fully support anyones right to have an opinion about whether to use a CT or not, but to personally attack anyone who chooses to do so (as being silly, stupid, cheap etc) is not really valid.
+1 . . I have never "attacked" anyone over their choice to use a CT, even though I choose to stick with motorcycle tires. I agree that "attacks" have occurred here. When this thread first started, I saw comments that OCFJR was stupid for experimenting, etc. That was bullshit then and I continue to disagree both with the condescending nature of the statement and with the conclusion that what he (and the rest of you) are investigating is stupid. I simply choose to do otherwise on my motorcycles because like you, I weigh my own evidence and make my own decisions based upon that.

But how is using the same hostility to others' ideas and comments (who are simply commenting on a publicly discussed experiment) justifiable? My only point in commenting in this thread was the desire that those who are persuaded to try a CT do so having considered all the potential risks (design application, handling and legal) before making the decision. And then it's their call -- in your parlance, informed consent. I don't even WANT to tell anyone else what to do.

You Cheapsiders need to lighten up. Apparently, not only are you an experimentive bunch, but a sensitive lot too.
+1

Apples. Oranges.
The point, which as usual you missed, is that . . .
<sigh>

Instead, it's so useless that I had to create a FAQ and I still have to occasionally ask the mods to delete all the posts there after I add content to the FAQ.
Good idea. I hope that solves the problems this thread apparently poses for darksiders, and per your desires for that FAQ, most of us non darksiders should probably not post there.

Some of you should be ashamed of your behavior. That would require self awareness though, and I'm not holding my breath.
:lol: ok -- NOW I get the "Reverend" moniker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exskilbum, what I was referring to about risk was about actually riding the motorcycle and not legal stuff. The argument you have is a different risk entirely and can be extrapolated to aftermarket lights, cruise controls, throttle locks or potentially using synthetic oils instead of recommended oils from the manufacturer. So could we stick with risks with the motorcycle only?
You're right, Doc. I should have PM'ed you regarding the breadth of your question before presuming that what I had to say would be considered as simply one more observation worth noting in a decision to darkside or not to darkside. I have blindspots like everyone else, and assumed that confirmed darksiders would simply accept my comments as already known or simply reject them and move on. I probably should have known that it would result in angry resistance from some who have already made up their minds. My bad.

FWIW, I didn't comment on the way a CT feels because I haven't ridden on one, and because piling on to what many other commenters have posted about design, engineering or expected performance would add nothing. FWIW, I have been riding motorcycles since 1965, have been doing almost all my wrenching since about 1970 (including an engine rebuild and the complete disassembly/reassembly of two MCs), and doubt there are any who have ridden with me who think I suck as a rider. Still, telling you what a CT rides like would be BS, and there are others with better tech and engineering credentials than I have. OTOH, fifteen years ago, I might have been the guy evaluating the accident case and telling the claims rep (who doesn't want to pay any more $$ than he must) what issues support us in litigation and negotiation. So I told you what I know, not realizing you didn't want to hear that.

As for other comments, I really wish the condescending and personal attacking terms regarding those choosing to give a CT a trial would stop.
Me too. But I think it would be beneficial if that applied to both sides, or if both could roll with it a little better, rather than acting like a bunch of moody women with a serious stake in the subject of this internet discussion.

It is a personal and individual choice. I fully support anyones right to have an opinion about whether to use a CT or not, but to personally attack anyone who chooses to do so (as being silly, stupid, cheap etc) is not really valid.
+1 . . I have never "attacked" anyone over their choice to use a CT, even though I choose to stick with motorcycle tires. I agree that "attacks" have occurred here. When this thread first started, I saw comments that OCFJR was stupid for experimenting, etc. That was bullshit then and I continue to disagree both with the condescending nature of the statement and with the conclusion that what he (and the rest of you) are investigating is stupid. I simply choose to do otherwise on my motorcycles because like you, I weigh my own evidence and make my own decisions based upon that.

But how is using the same hostility to others' ideas and comments (who are simply commenting on a publicly discussed experiment) justifiable? My only point in commenting in this thread was the desire that those who are persuaded to try a CT do so having considered all the potential risks (design application, handling and legal) before making the decision. And then it's their call -- in your parlance, informed consent. I don't even WANT to tell anyone else what to do.

You Cheapsiders need to lighten up. Apparently, not only are you an experimentive bunch, but a sensitive lot too.
+1

Apples. Oranges.
The point, which as usual you missed, is that . . .
<sigh>
Now hold on there just a minute--you just got finished quoting the following:

"You Cheapsiders need to lighten up. Apparently, not only are you an experimentive bunch, but a sensitive lot too. There are peeps giving each other good natured crap all over this forum. Why should you folk be special and not get any of it? Let's face it - you proudly call yourselves 'Darksiders'. Why is that? Seems to me you do it because you KNOW you are doing something far from the 'norm'. And guess what? When you veer far from the norm, people are going to question, chide, and judge you for that. It's going to stir some strong opinions in folk. It's human nature. Apparently the Cheapsiding manual needs a section about needing a thick skin if mounting a car tire. Wimps need not apply. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Perhaps you cheapsiders need to go start your own forum or chat group. I certainly hope not though, this is far too entertaining."

So if I, in the service of "peeps giving each other good natured crap" say "the point, which as usual you missed," how does that deserve a <sigh>?

So if I, in the service of "peeps giving each other good natured crap" say "the point, which as usual you missed," how does that deserve a <sigh>?
Because, though I can be terribly verbose, I recognize that good writing is usually succinct. And in that vein, "which as usual you missed" is surplus language without which it would be much better? ;)

Because, though I can be terribly verbose, I recognize that good writing is usually succinct. And in that vein, "which you usually missed" is surplus language without which it would be much better? ;)
Ahh.

I have no idea what exskibum just said. He is a fart smeller. I is ignorant.

But that didn't stop me fron cringing when I read the following posts by you.

The point, which as usual you missed,

I'll give you this: you may be wrong, but you're consistently wrong.

You and W/C were going back and forth in a discussion that was void of any 'banter'. Nor did you include any smilies to communicate humor. So I took your comments as passive-aggressive slaps and not 'good natured crap'. None of the above were necessary for you to make a point or further an argument. And in fact detracted from whatever substance you had to say and therefore blunted it's message.

IMHO.

Oh, so "smilies" is all you need to quantify a post???

Okay..... :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger:

:wubsmiley:

I have no idea what exskibum just said. He is a fart smeller. I is ignorant.

But that didn't stop me fron cringing when I read the following posts by you.

The point, which as usual you missed,

I'll give you this: you may be wrong, but you're consistently wrong.

You and W/C were going back and forth in a discussion that was void of any 'banter'. Nor did you include any smilies to communicate humor. So I took your comments as passive-aggressive slaps and not 'good natured crap'. None of the above were necessary for you to make a point or further an argument. And in fact detracted from whatever substance you had to say and therefore blunted it's message.

IMHO.
And the Banter Police come out of the woodwork.

:blink:

Better?

It's "to qualify" a post, ya ignerrent darksiding manatee focker. :rolleyes:

:****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger:

I'd add "hugs and kisses", but I have no idea what you've been doing with manatees, how many, how recently, or whether those acts took place on a CT mounted MC. ;)

Now that you're straightened out, I really am going to stop procrastinating, go to the garage and finally finish my lubing and brake work on the FJR.

It's "to qualify" a post, ya ignerrent darksiding manatee focker. :rolleyes:

:****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger:

I'd add "hugs and kisses", but I have no idea what you've been doing with manatees, how many, how recently, or whether those acts took place on a CT mounted MC. ;)

Now that you're straightened out, I really am going to stop procrastinating, go to the garage and finally finish my lubing and brake work on the FJR.
You use your words, I'll use mine.

Meanwhile, go play with your Pictionary cards, ya dork!

Dios Mio, where the hell is odot when we really need him most. Since Ray, our favorite baby seal killing, whiskey drinking, guitar playing & FJR Riding Eskimo isn't here:

Put a cock in it, RadioHowie!

Okay..... :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger: :****: :finger:

:wubsmiley:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Helvetius quotation.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too." Voltaire quotation.

I have no vested interest in the ongoing car tire versus motorcycle debate, though a number of months ago I was seriously considering it. Two factors changed my mind against going to a car tire on my Miss Lucy Liu: 1) I just did not want to give up the incredibly precise handling of my FJR for the added mileage life of a car tire. 2) When I told my illegitimate bastard Son SkooterG about my desire for a car tire, he started crying, pissing and moaning like a fecking little girl, it was absolutely embarrassing!

So, my final conclusion is a car tire is still not as dangerous as fiddling around with your GPS, radio or camera going down the road instead of paying attention to conditions. And, I don't see ONE cracked FJR rim as evidence the sky is falling down!
I love great quotes by smart people who can use the language better than me. I read someone said "A person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still." I find that almost always to be the case.

doctorj

well Doug just left here with his sanity restored and the CT where it belongs (in the back of his car)........

R

well Doug just left here with his sanity restored and the CT where it belongs (in the back of his car)........
Good on you for helping Doug out with the tire dis-mount/mount. Doug's a sharp guy. I'm quite sure he's doing what's best for his needs. Remind me and I'll buy you a drink if you're at the start or finish of the IBR.

Bust? A car tire on the front? Does he even ride his FJR? How long will it take him to ride 500 miles? I would like to see the results of the experiment before my lifetime is over.

Listen up chicken dik.. I did 591 miles today in 9 hours 17 minutes

And we stopped fer lunch and a quickie with Dolly beside a slow moving river, so put that yer pipe an' smoke it

:blum: