Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For example, seen at a local cruiser rally. Check out the nail polish!

DSC_9584.jpg
thanx alot Walt...might as well busy on chores as there's no way I'm gonna sleep tonite :huh:

Scary thing is.....

.....assuming it's a chick! :lol:
That rear tire is gentle enough for a woman, but made for a man! :drinks:
she or whoever takes care of the bike obviously has no clue

WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much air in that CT :glare:

I wouldn't lose too much sleep. That's just an ugly woman.

And on the floor board draggin', CT picture, I've never seen a guy with such smooth looking skin wearing a spaghetti strap wife beater.

But I guess there's always a first time.

I've never seen a guy with such smooth looking skin wearing a spaghetti strap wife beater.
You need to go hang out wfooshee's neck of the woods! :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
Or Owosso fecking Michigan!
Hey! all are wemin folk are considered handsome in deez here parts, regardless of their sexual orientation :p

Why ya wanna pick on Walt Howie? Seems like there were two of these around the corner from you in the trailer park in Gibsonton.. Jerry, aka Jeri and Floyd, damned if I remember his lady name though, :blink:

I think I seen you hanging around their widows a time or two.. :lol:

I've never seen a guy with such smooth looking skin wearing a spaghetti strap wife beater.
You need to go hang out wfooshee's neck of the woods! :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
Or Owosso fecking Michigan!
Hey! all are wemin folk are considered handsome in deez here parts, regardless of their sexual orientation :p

Why ya wanna pick on Walt Howie? Seems like there were two of these around the corner from you in the trailer park in Gibsonton.. Jerry, aka Jeri and Floyd, damned if I remember his lady name though, :blink:

I think I seen you hanging around their widows a time or two.. :lol:
I wasn't pickin' on Walt, donkeydrip....just makin' an observation on the "diversity" of the geography. :finger:

Now, that damn cactuslicker Stanley...he's just tryin' to start a ruckus!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got through doing a fork rebuild due to a blown right front fork. The front PR2 was put on the same time as the rear Michelin Exalto. The PR2 was toast at 6,000 mi. (maybe partly due to the fork suspension--more wear on right side of tire, and chip seal here in eastern NC). But the Exalto still has oodles of tread left. I order two Conti Motion fronts from Two Brothers Tires ($75 each) so may go through 3-4 fronts during life of the Exalto. Damn, I like having all that tread still good on the back. BTW, I used to get 13,000 or more out of a front PR2 while living in Charlotte, but roads here just freakin eat MC tars.

doctorj

Oh I might add, Jeff Ashe not only helped me with a pesky bottom fork bolt but did the entire rest of the forks. Great guy, but don't tell him I said it :) ).

doctorj

Now here's an idea that'll solve even your front tire problems: maybe we could lobby Washington to start building rubber roads. Then we could run concrete tires??? I'm sure some of us moaners and groaners could find something practical to do with all those used MC tires...
houseoftires.png

Gary

darksider #44

New tire alert! Scott Witherow mounted up a Hankook V12 Evo. This is an ultra high performance summer tire with a 280 treadwear rating. Sometimes it's listed as all season too. looks like a nice profile. It will be interesting to see how it wears over time. I suspect it may be a 20k tire from what we have seen so far.

Discount tire link

His pic below. His post to the FAQ will be moved to this thread. Welcome to the Darkside Scott, you have been added to the FAQ as Darksider #48.

2ms24hy.jpg

Now here's an idea that'll solve even your front tire problems: maybe we could lobby Washington to start building rubber roads. Then we could run concrete tires??? ...
They are already using rubber to make rubberized asphalt roads, it is the largest use for ground rubber in the US. It seems to work best in warm weather states with California, Arizona and Florida being the biggest users.

They were making Glassphalt with ground glass until recycling started absorbing the excess waste glass. So now it's up to garyahouse to come up with concrete tires to run on the rubberized roads.

I sense much anger here, anger always leads to the dark side....... You must learn patience....... <_<

after reading all this I still cannot imagine that it would handle????? Can't imagine it would be any better on a Gold Wing or Valkeyrie???

Apparently haven't actually been reading, then, what with every darksider but one saying it works just fine, with just a hint of higher steering effort.

:) :p

But as has also been said repeatedly, it ain't for eveybody. Eric tried it because he turns trillions of miles a week, all of it highway.

My riding is about the same, without the trillions of miles. I live in Florida, where most of the roads are rather dull, and I don't get to play with lean angles a lot anyway. In the 4 years I've had the bike I've scraped a peg 3 times. But two of those were actually during a crash, so I don't think they count. If I lived in West virgina, I doubt I'd be a darksider.

Oh, yeah: the scrape that wasn't part of a crash? It was on the car tire. Just so you know!

I have about 11,000 (probably more) on the General UHP tire, so far so good. I will say this- I did scrape pegs a few times this weekend.... so ya handling sucks ;)

I'm not seeing any downside to it, but then I still need to put on another 10k this year (hopefully)

Whatever happened to the split rim because of us cheap fuks? Or are we dieing without the world knowing we choose to be different?

I have commuted on my 06 Feejer about 2000 miles since i installed a

Yokohama on the rear and built my own brake bar.

Handling definitely requires a bit of counter-steering to initiate turn-in;

but i have also noticed that i am riding more "active" than "passive".

I agree with others that say riding two-up is not a problem. Added weight on

the rear does lessen any difference in feel.

I have 20,000 more miles before i HAVE to decide if the car tire is better or not.

LOL!

my pic from July:

mayjune2011004.jpg

So all you guys using car tires on their bikes, do you wear dresses instead of pants as well :blink: I mean where does the madness end!!! :p

I guess if your just a hardcore, straight road, interstate riding commuter that's unconcerned with cornering and all you use your bike for is a money savings on fuel and you want to maximize tire wear and your left brain, analytical, psuedo-engineering type persona is telling you that it's only "logical" that you must go this route .........then I guess I could see this as a viable option.

But I'll never do it on my bike. :D

I guess if your just a hardcore, straight road, interstate riding commuter that's unconcerned with cornering and all you use your bike for is a money savings on fuel and you want to maximize tire wear and your left brain, analytical, psuedo-engineering type persona is telling you that it's only "logical" that you must go this route .........then I guess I could see this as a viable option.

But I'll never do it on my bike. :D
Your guess is wrong. It is about money savings, and some of use do ride a lot of interstate too, but the CT isn't a limiting factor in riding the bike. For the FJR or a Wing, or any other bike. You can ride just like you did before. Like many, you guess that it doesn't corner well. I know that it corners just fine. A surprisingly large number of riders can't keep up with me in the corners and I'm just riding the PACE, not being a squidly hoon. (No hoons were harmed during this post, nor do I consider 'hoon' to be a disparaging remark.) I'm not all that, it's just that the CT doesn't slow me down any.

No, you shouldn't ever do it on your bike. That's the point of this thread, to provide first hand information so that people can decide for themselves if they want to try this or not. :)

This will ALWAYS be a polarizing debate! Just like Obama in the White House, nationalized health care or like Rhode Island...for it is neither a road nor an Island...yet it's inhabitants swear that it is. :eek:

Knowledge is key & choice is even better and car tires on the back of motorcycles looks retarded. :D :D :D