Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or like Rhode Island...for it is neither a road nor an Island...yet it's inhabitants swear that it is. :eek:
Not "road", "Rhode", which means red. And yes, they were talking about an island.

we now call Aquidneck Island, which is the island that the settlement and harbor of Newport are on.

220px-Aquidneck_Island_map.gif

So they named the red island Rhode Island first and then named the state after it's most prominent feature.

Which seems just as reasonable as naming it after a king of the country that we would later break away from (Georgia). :rolleyes:

Now that seems ironic to me.

This will ALWAYS be a polarizing debate! Just like Obama in the White House, nationalized health care or like Rhode Island...for it is neither a road nor an Island...yet it's inhabitants swear that it is. :eek:

Knowledge is key & choice is even better and car tires on the back of motorcycles looks retarded. :D :D :D
It's definitely a rhode.

Which seems just as reasonable as naming it after a king of the country that we would later break away from (Georgia). :rolleyes:
I'm from Michigan so why would I care! ;) ........I do like the weather down here however especially when I'm riding my motorcycle with a MOTORCYCLE tire on the back of it!

This is fun! Makes working almost tolerable.

I'm from Michigan so why would I care! ;)
Ah, OK. So you're from "Big Lake" then. (Ojibwe: mishigami).

I'm originally from "Near the Great Little Mountain" ( Ojibwe: misajiwens), but now live in a state named after some damn county in old Blighty.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Car Tire thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
What was that old saying, "Opinions are like ..... everybody's got one??" I forget how it goes. Maybe some of my forum brethren can enlighten me. Anyway, my humble opinion: That exalto looks bad to the bone on the back of my FJR. Every time I walk up from behind the bike, I'm reminded of just how awesome it looks. Sometimes I deliberately walk around the backside just to see it when I'm coming out of the store. When I was a teen back in the sixties, we used ta jack up the back end of our muscle cars and put the fattest tires we could afford on them. Many thought we were stupid, and good for them, they were entitled to their opinion. But I loved em, my girlfriend loved 'em, my buddies loved 'em... and in my world, that made sense to me. So here I am 40 years later... I love my Exalto, I ain't got no girlfriend, and my buddies are so old they can't see that far anyway. So in my little world, it makes sense.

Now, you know what's wrong with people? They don't love their rear tires. Seems like nobody cares.

IMG_0154.jpg

I mean, have you hugged your tire today?

By the way, did somebody say Obama? Don't even get me started.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: The bike to the left? If you look at the forks and the four into one pipe, it gives you two clues. It's a 1973... what??? (I'm just now getting the engine back into the frame after replacing the springs in the starter clutch assy)

Gary

darksider #44

I guess if your just a hardcore, straight road, interstate riding commuter that's unconcerned with cornering and all you use your bike for is a money savings on fuel and you want to maximize tire wear and your left brain, analytical, psuedo-engineering type persona is telling you that it's only "logical" that you must go this route .........then I guess I could see this as a viable option.

But I'll never do it on my bike. :D
Your guess is wrong. It is about money savings, and some of use do ride a lot of interstate too, but the CT isn't a limiting factor in riding the bike. For the FJR or a Wing, or any other bike. You can ride just like you did before. Like many, you guess that it doesn't corner well. I know that it corners just fine. A surprisingly large number of riders can't keep up with me in the corners and I'm just riding the PACE, not being a squidly hoon. (No hoons were harmed during this post, nor do I consider 'hoon' to be a disparaging remark.) I'm not all that, it's just that the CT doesn't slow me down any.

No, you shouldn't ever do it on your bike. That's the point of this thread, to provide first hand information so that people can decide for themselves if they want to try this or not. :)
What he said

I've got about 10k on my exalto and where it handles differently than a pr2, it'll suprise you. Just finished a ride to sturgis with a group of friends riding cruisers. The ct not only performed flawlessly, it out perpormed anything in the group. But if it's not your thing, don't do it. But it works for me. Oh, and i'll ride it to vegas in a few weeks, but will need a new front.b

Just finished a ride to sturgis with a group of friends riding cruisers. The ct not only performed flawlessly, it out perpormed anything in the group.
I've got no skin in this game, but are you really comparing your FJR's performance to a bunch of cruisers? An FJR with a bicycle tire mounted could outperform a bunch of cruisers!

My point. The bike we are riding will out perform most of the bikes on the road, evev with a ct. I,ve experienced the same with a hayabusa. But there, if he had bigger canines, he'd've smoked me. Suprised him though.

I'm from Michigan so why would I care! ;) ........I do like the weather down here however especially when I'm riding my motorcycle with a MOTORCYCLE tire on the back of it!

This is fun! Makes working almost tolerable.

Flint area right? Have you forgot how you only wore the center of your tires before you left? :lol:

Drag racing on Robert T.....

I've got about 10k on my exalto and where it handles differently than a pr2, it'll suprise you. Just finished a ride to sturgis with a group of friends riding cruisers. The ct not only performed flawlessly, it out perpormed anything in the group. But if it's not your thing, don't do it. But it works for me. Oh, and i'll ride it to vegas in a few weeks, but will need a new front.b
To bad some here don't understand that statement. I've over 7K on mine since June.. Roads @ CFO far from flat.. Stowe Vt.? fergedaboutit! I don't think you'll find anything but the super slabs flat over there.

My point is, I may not have been the fastest mook at either place but I kept up with everyone and had one or two hold me back now and then. I figure If I had the roads and time here I might improve enough to have folks chasing me...

Well...

I had toyed with this idea over the winter, but decided to stick a new PR2 on the back instead.

Here it is only August, and 8100 miles later, and that new PR2 is now toast.

100_2753q.jpg

Yeah, I know I could probably get another thousand miles or more out of the middle of that tire on the slab. Unfortunately, that isn't where I ride them. Both sides are worn down to zero tread, just exactly like the last one did. And I don't want to be caught out in the rain on a tire like that one.

So this morning I took the plunge and ordered up a Yokohama Avid ENVigor from Tire Rack. :eek:

I couldn't find anyone else having reported using that one. I think it is a new model. But the specs look good and the price is great at $137 shipped. I already have another PR2 in the garage as a fall back, just in case I have a Bungie and hate the CT feel, but I just have to see what all the fuss is about for myself.

Full report and pitchers in a week or so.