Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most accidents are caused by the driver not the vehicle.If you know your vehicle's limitations and drive with-in those parameters you won't have a problem. If you drive a 4x4 truck, you can't expect to win a race with a formula 1 car and if you drive a formula 1 car you can't expect to drive off road. If you buy(or convert your normal cruiser) into a 12 foot long chopper, you can't expect to carve up the twisties with the sport bike crowd. By the same token if you put a car tire on an FJR you MUST adjust your expectations of the performance of the bike. If you can drive with-in the performance envelope of your modified vehicle it's just as safe as any other motorcycle.
I pretty much observed the same thing back in post number 48 in this thread, i.e. "Well, lets face. Whether someone goes splat or not depends on how well they understand the limitations of their rig. I see a guy with a seriously raked chopper head up the Avery Trace toward Montery several times a week during the warm season, and he always comes back alive. You learn to ride what you're riding."

I think that the fact that folks want to run car tires on their FJR is sort of a testament to wide range of riding styles the FJR can accomodate.

I don't have to study the idea of running car tires to see whether or not its a good idea. I know that its not a good idea for me.

For someone else, with different expectations of their FJR, perhaps it is a reasonable course of action.

I still think its an NEPRT thread if there ever was one, but.... who am I to say?

Is it me or is this mileage life from your tires a really silly argument? I have an 2008 FJR with 6500 miles and both the front and rear tires have PLENTY of tread left. Assuming I can get 4000 more miles out of them, I could criss cross the U.S. 3 times on the same set!

:pardon:

Scott

Is it me or is this mileage life from your tires a really silly argument?
It's you!

I have an 2008 FJR with 6500 miles and both the front and rear tires have PLENTY of tread left. Assuming I can get 4000 more miles out of them, I could criss cross the U.S. 3 times on the same set!

Scott
Some folks get lots more mileage out of tires than others.

I get 6-7K out of a set...but put 25-28K a year on my bike, so 4 sets of tires a year gets a bit pricey, ya know?

Personally, spending ~$800 a year on tires is a bit much for my budget (read: Missus Howie)

Is it me or is this mileage life from your tires a really silly argument? I have an 2008 FJR with 6500 miles and both the front and rear tires have PLENTY of tread left. Assuming I can get 4000 more miles out of them, I could criss cross the U.S. 3 times on the same set!

Scott

Personally, I get about 9-10K on a rear Micheline PR, and about 12K on a front...that means I am putting on a rear every 3 1/2 to 4 months, and a front every 5 months. I can definitely see the allure of the darkside.

Scott

Personally, I get about 9-10K on a rear Micheline PR, and about 12K on a front...that means I am putting on a rear every 3 1/2 to 4 months, and a front every 5 months. I can definitely see the allure of the darkside.

I just did a "quick and dirty" analysis of cost and figured I would save $800 in tire costs over 100,000 miles. Pretty interesting. Those are my assumptions, BTW. Doesn't include the amount of beer consumed in removing the rear wheel and replacing after tire is mounted on the wheel.

TYPE Mileage Wear Mileage No. Changes Cost per Sub-Total Mounting Grand

CT 100000 10000 10 $150.00 $1,500.00 $300.00 $1,800.00

Moto 100000 45000 2.22 $120.00 $266.67 $60.00 $326.67

DIFF $1,473.33

Scott

I just did a "quick and dirty" analysis of cost and figured I would save $800 in tire costs over 100,000 miles. Pretty interesting. Those are my assumptions, BTW. Doesn't include the amount of beer consumed in removing the rear wheel and replacing after tire is mounted on the wheel.

TYPE Mileage Wear Mileage No. Changes Cost per Sub-Total Mounting Grand

CT 100000 10000 10 $150.00 $1,500.00 $300.00 $1,800.00

Moto 100000 45000 2.22 $120.00 $266.67 $60.00 $326.67

DIFF $1,473.33
Unfortunately, your table spacing doesn't translate in the web view, although it does in the "reply" view, but I just gotta wonder if'n you didn't make an error in your assumptions, i.e., you've got CT listed as 10,000 miles for "Wear Mileage" and Moto listed at 45,000 for wear mileage.

Also, since you have the assumed mileage reversed, how about your "Cost Per"?

Do believe you need a mulligan. :)

Scott

Load up the bike with enough gear for two up riding and then take your SO for a trans-continental trip.

You will be changing the rear mid trip, the rear's are hard to find and I have been ripped by many shops when they find you are mid trip and have no alternative but change it.

Go somewhere warm and twisty like Utah, you might need two rears and a front.

I also think there is a major batch to batch wear difference between the same brand of tire,

I've seen BT-021's last 4000 miles, the next one 10000 miles

I get 6-7K out of a set...but put 25-28K a year on my bike, so 4 sets of tires a year gets a bit pricey, ya know?
I got an idea for ya Jerky Boy.... Drop the training wheels, then ya only need two sets.

Whata dork.

:lol:

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an idea for ya Jerky Boy.... Drop the training wheels, then ya only need two sets.

Whata dork.

Looks like Ol' Thread Wrecker is at it again! :****:

You MUST know where the Admins buried the bodies, right?

cs-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just came across this. A "roster" of riders who think the darkside is looking pretty bright. Interesting.
Darkside CLICKY thingie
Nice find. While the sizes listed are not ours, it does provide some interesting data on the tires other Darksiders are using. Many of those, but not all, are available in the 205/50-17 size the FJR uses. A couple I wasn't familiar with, but will be researching to see what they look like and the specs.

Whata dork.

Looks like Ol' Thread Wrecker is at it again! :****:

You MUST know where the Admins buried the bodies, right?

cs-2.jpg
[SIZE=36pt]LOL[/SIZE]

Just came across this. A "roster" of riders who think the darkside is looking pretty bright. Interesting.
Darkside CLICKY thingie
Nice find. While the sizes listed are not ours, it does provide some interesting data on the tires other Darksiders are using. Many of those, but not all, are available in the 205/50-17 size the FJR uses. A couple I wasn't familiar with, but will be researching to see what they look like and the specs.
Keep chuggin' away....interesting thread.

Hows the testing going?
Later
Testing has been interrupted by an engine swap. Testing should resume shortly. I'll post a dry pavement report once I get a decent dry ride in. Hopefully next weekend, though the local seafood & wine festival is going to cut into my hopeful riding schedule.