Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try following one in the rain.. I heard from the guy behind me it sucked ballz.Niagara Falls was mentioned.
When I lived in the PacNorWet, no one, and I mean no one, ever tailgated me in the springtime. Rooster tail of water about 20' when it was raining cats and dogs. No hydroplaning though.
punk.gif

After 1500 miles riding with my buddy Chris (Banzai) to SWFOG, I can comment on how WELL he handles that thing with a car tire.He rides the car tire so well. It looks so damned funny seeing that square tire in the corners, But it WORKS.The ONLY thing that sucks about these tires, Is they are like a slingshot throwing rocks back at you. If you ride on a Chip Seal road, I HIGHLY suggest riding in FRONT of the DARKSIDER.I am in the process of buying some new wheels, And mounting a CT on the spare set since i rarely ride corners anymore. I will ALWAYS keep a fresh set of MOTO tires on hand for the fun days!
Well, I reached my quota of likes, but what you said was witnessed by everyone that rode with us at SW-FOG. Chris rode as fast (faster)than anyone else there. Corners and straights included.
He must be a great rider. Just imagine how fast he would have been on a good tire.

The Exalto sticks like glue (better than MC tires) in just about anything....... that said, I don't recommend a beginner go test the limits until you get a couple of months under your belt learning the quirks (especially at low speeds, parking lots, truck ruts, and potholes.......... and don't put too much air in it (28-30 psi one up). Can't speak for other brands..... wore mine out in 40k. Many reports of Hankooks (on ST13's) wearing out at 15k as they are really soft and have soft sidewalls requiring more air, don't recommend one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just swapped out my Bridgestone G 019 Grid for the Yokohama AVID Envigor.

1517424_10202971073735504_3015753783947143644_n.jpg

Haven't had time to test it real hard yet. Initial impressions are that the profile is better (rounder on the 5.5 inch rim). It is also a bit noisier, which is most likely because it's brand new. I suspect it will wear in well.

One tool definitely missing in that picture is a sponge. Gotta admit, I have NEVER seen a machine that dirty. It makes Radiohowie's bike look like a garage queen. One thing's for sure, you spend more time ridin' than ya do warshin'...

How many miles did ya get out of the Grid, Justin?

Gary

darksider #44

One tool definitely missing in that picture is a sponge. Gotta admit, I have NEVER seen a machine that dirty. It makes Radiohowie's bike look like a garage queen. One thing's for sure, you spend more time ridin' than ya do warshin'...
How many miles did ya get out of the Grid, Justin?

Gary

darksider #44
Gary - I grabbed the Grid of ebay. It was a 90% take off. I put about 20k on it. Still had probably 8-10k in it. I did a shoddy road side plug job on it a few K ago and just didn't "trust" it anymore for long trips, so I swapped it out. And yes, my bikes get dirty, and it doesn't rain a lot here :(

The Exalto sticks like glue (better than MC tires) in just about anything.......
Yeah? Is that what Rossi is using these days? Maybe he's not experienced enough to handle a cat tire.
rolleyes.gif
You don't see Rossi on an FJR either. Nevermind one of those cat tires. I give nothing up in traction with the car tire. The feel is substantially suckier in the twisties for sure. Different tools for different jobs.

Yeah, and Rossi doesn't have any of this stupid tread on his tires. No sipes, no lines, nothing but rubber. All those grooves must be slowing us down. And lights, we should get rid of our lights. All they do is add weight. While we're at it, we should stop using coolant in our radiators. Shit, if plain ol' water is good enough for the big boys, we should use it too.

Many reports of Hankooks (on ST13's) wearing out at 15k as they are really soft and have soft sidewalls requiring more air, don't recommend one.
Boy, I'd be pissed. I got that out of my last set of PR2's. What would be the point of running a CT if it only lasts as long as a regular MT?

Try following one in the rain.. I heard from the guy behind me it sucked ballz.

Niagara Falls was mentioned.
When I lived in the PacNorWet, no one, and I mean no one, ever tailgated me in the springtime. Rooster tail of water about 20' when it was raining cats and dogs. No hydroplaning though.
punk.gif
Speaking of...how well do they stick when leaned over in the rain?

Yeah, and Rossi doesn't have any of this stupid tread on his tires. No sipes, no lines, nothing but rubber. All those grooves must be slowing us down. And lights, we should get rid of our lights. All they do is add weight. While we're at it, we should stop using coolant in our radiators. Shit, if plain ol' water is good enough for the big boys, we should use it too.
And get rid of that heavy, troublesome charging system, too!

Wait, Yamaha already went to a total-loss system on the Gen II, didn't they??? Nevermind!

I just swapped out my Bridgestone G 019 Grid for the Yokohama AVID Envigor.
[img=[URL="https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1517424_10202971073735504_3015753783947143644_n.jpg%5D"]https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/1517424_10202971073735504_3015753783947143644_n.jpg][/URL]

Haven't had time to test it real hard yet. Initial impressions are that the profile is better (rounder on the 5.5 inch rim). It is also a bit noisier, which is most likely because it's brand new. I suspect it will wear in well.
Looking forward to your impressions, as I put the same tire on Lucille (she, Beemerdons' blood pressure jumps when we talk about it) and have a weekend test ride planned.

Let me know where your ideal psi ends up.

The Exalto sticks like glue (better than MC tires) in just about anything................ and don't put too much air in it (28-30 psi one up).
I question that conventional wisdom. I have found I prefer more pressure - 32-34 psi in the Exalto. Reduces the initial steering input required significantly.

The Exalto sticks like glue (better than MC tires) in just about anything................ and don't put too much air in it (28-30 psi one up).
I question that conventional wisdom. I have found I prefer more pressure - 32-34 psi in the Exalto. Reduces the initial steering input required significantly.
I won't argue with that.... one has to seek that point (PSI) that makes the steering input the least, and not feeling like one is riding on an edge....... mine was a take-off from a car, so the sidewalls may have been broken in more than yours or those who put a virgin tire on..... experiment and do what's best for you. Mine had the least if 30. YMMV.

Latest posts