Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dajuice...I already have Tony's tire in my garage. If you want send me yours also. I have a changer, balancer and tools. Won't take long to knock it out if you need.
Send me a PM for address if you want to do that.

Oh Hell, just realized you have it.on a wheel. That's even easier. Offer still stands.
Excellent! Yes, I may take you up on that. PM coming.

Dajuice! Yes I debated DS tire this time for just that reason. You are absolutely right in that 11 days is quite different from 6. Then I thought I'd be sad if there was gravel or dirt of any significance. Love it on DS tire. Finally i decided since Derek did it, I should too!

Everyone always talks about days 7-10 in the IBR being the hardest. I've done Butt Lite, the IB5K and the IBR, things change as the rallys get longer. Butt lite and the IB5K were 6 and 5 days respectively, I had no major problems. In the IBR towards the end of leg 2, day 7 is when I noticed things bothering me that never had before.
My ear canals were killing me from having ear plugs in constantly for that long. When I'd pull them out they felt like they were pulling off the skin. Putting some neosporin on them and changed to a different model of ear plug helped. I'm very grateful to the forum member that brought me the variety pack of earplugs at the checkpoint in Jacksonville, but I don't remember who that was!!

Also the edges of my ears were slightly touching my helmet and they felt like they were on fire. I pulled the extra padding out of the helmet so the ears would not touch anything and they were back to normal in a day.

I'm very concerned what day 7-10 is going to be like with a car tire for these reasons. I'm still considering shipping my spare wheel with an MC tire to ABQ and I don't ride nearly as hard as nutjob
rolleyes.gif
How many miles have you ridden so far on the CT? I did the MERA 10-n-10 Rally in '10 and was riding 20 hour days for that rally. I never noticed any issues with the CT, in the later days of the rally, and had been riding on the CT for about 7 months at the time. I don't recall how many miles that ways, but somewhere over 20k easily. I did DNF, but it was for time barred, having made errors in planning that put me in Key West 29 hours before the mid rally checkpoint. That stretch had started in Tallahassee earlier in the day and turned into a 54 hour day, but I made it to the checkpoint with 15 minutes to spare. Couldn't recover from the sleep deprivation for the remaining rally days though.

If you're not thinking about the CT handling now, just responding to it w/o thinking about it, you'll do fine on the third leg. You get better sleep on the road than at the checkpoints anyway.
winksmiley02.gif
My IBR was not as intense as the 10-n-10 in terms of riding or length of time in the saddle each day. But the IBR was on the Super Tenere with Heidenau K60 Scouts, so I could have done the rally on one set of tires, but not knowing what the third leg would bring, I shipped a tire out and did a swap for the third leg.

Dajuice! Yes I debated DS tire this time for just that reason. You are absolutely right in that 11 days is quite different from 6. Then I thought I'd be sad if there was gravel or dirt of any significance. Love it on DS tire. Finally i decided since Derek did it, I should too!
It was actually Derek that talked me into it as I was antagonizing over where and how to stage my spare wheel. He did use you as an example, something along the lines of, "[Derek] parked his bike and went into the A/C at the checkpoint to score while nutjob was in the parking lot sweating his arse off changing a wheel." OK, so if this doesn't work out we have a common person to chastise!

How many miles have you ridden so far on the CT? I did the MERA 10-n-10 Rally in '10 and was riding 20 hour days for that rally. I never noticed any issues with the CT, in the later days of the rally, and had been riding on the CT for about 7 months at the time. I don't recall how many miles that ways, but somewhere over 20k easily. I did DNF, but it was for time barred, having made errors in planning that put me in Key West 29 hours before the mid rally checkpoint. That stretch had started in Tallahassee earlier in the day and turned into a 54 hour day, but I made it to the checkpoint with 15 minutes to spare. Couldn't recover from the sleep deprivation for the remaining rally days though.
If you're not thinking about the CT handling now, just responding to it w/o thinking about it, you'll do fine on the third leg. You get better sleep on the road than at the checkpoints anyway.
winksmiley02.gif
My IBR was not as intense as the 10-n-10 in terms of riding or length of time in the saddle each day. But the IBR was on the Super Tenere with Heidenau K60 Scouts, so I could have done the rally on one set of tires, but not knowing what the third leg would bring, I shipped a tire out and did a swap for the third leg.
I only have about 2000 miles on since I switched over so you are right, I don't have enough experience to judge but that is why I have my reservations. You and everyone else I know that has done a rally longer than BL on a CT has not complained, but until I do it myself, I'm not going to know how my body will react. I'm being told I'm being overcautious, but I have a spare wheel and a brand new PR4 in the garage... shipping it down there is cheap compared to the the cost of this as a whole. I went down hard on my shoulder while dual sporting late last year and it is still not even close to 100% back. However as I think about my experience to date the effort required to turn a bike on a care tire is nothing compared to fighting a cross wind in South Dakota all day
weirdsmiley.gif

You are wise to ship the wheel DaJuice.

Part of the preparation for such an event is getting your head right. Covering your bases and ensuring peace of mind. You don't need to be starting the IBR worried about your stamina because of a car tire.

My guess .... You won't use the spare wheel, but will feel good just for having it available.

Twigg is right, what ever it takes to feel prepared for anything is good. I do remember feeling it in the shoulders, primarily between the blades, after a long day of riding when I changed over to the CT, but it went away as I naturally strengthened those muscles from riding Darkside over time. Can't really recall how long.

I hope your IBR is uneventful and you are able to ride your plan successfully. Nutjob will probably go to Key West again, just because. ;-)

I shipped some clean socks, a tire and misc re-supply items for the tank bag, along with a postage paid USPS flat rate large box and a dollar store mini roll of packing tape, so I could box up anything I didn't need and just have someone else drop it off at the post office for me. I later arranged to have the shop ship the tire back to me that I left there so I could wear it out.

See you in ABQ.

Heck, you can find that in New Orleans too, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get to I-10 afterwards!

Good luck to you too Josh. May you avoid any bad luck.

Heck, you can find that in New Orleans too, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get to I-10 afterwards!
Good luck to you too Josh. May you avoid any bad luck.
Except that ride is already firmly lodged in the annals of "IBR Awesomeness"

Take my best wishes too.

Well after the last 32k on the darkside,I've gone fatsider. Put the battleax t30 gt on today. It was easier getting the car tire off than putting the battleax on. Couldn't get the second bead on the rim with the harbor freight changer. Looked like a bulldog tied to a garbage can chasing that thing all over the garage. Finally took it to the dealer to finish it. They even had a time with their machine.

First observation riding around the neighborhood. Much lighter feel, she leans more quickly. But doesn't feel as planted. Will report more after getting back from Spearfish.

Ordered my BFG GMAX today, $120 shipped via Amazon Prime.

Note, the tire sites were all showing low availability, Tire Rack showing it in a Closeout Status

Ordered my BFG GMAX today, $120 shipped via Amazon Prime. Note, the tire sites were all showing low availability, Tire Rack showing it in a Closeout Status
A bit OCD I know but BFG = BF Goodrich, yes? My GMax is from General. Are we talking the same thing?

BFG has the G-Force tire line, similar in siping to General Tire's G-Max AS-03. Maybe that's where I'm confused.

I just spent 3 days in the Blackhills of SD. I split my time between the FJR Round-up in Spearfish, local friends in Spearfish, the US Sidecar Assoc. Rally in Sturgis and the Blackhills Bluegrass festival. The sidecar event was very interesting and instructive. Someday I can see me riding a sidecar. Not now and not soon, but someday.

Three different times I had a sidecar guy notice my CT on the FJR and tell me I was flirting with death and destruction by running an automotive tire on a motorcycle rim, because of the bead being unsuitable for the wheel . They were obviously convinced that they were correct in their assertion. I asked each of them if they knew of an instance where a bead had seperated or in anyway caused an accident... they did not. I also noticed a few sidecar rigs with automotive tires on motorcycle wheels, but it seems to be a widely held belief among the sidecar crowd that we Darksiders are dancing with death every time we ride.

So are they correct? The published record of the safe use of the CT on an FJR rim says no...... but, are we being duped by a vast Darksider conspiracy led by OCfjr and the other leading lights of the Darksider community? Are Darksiders going splat like flies on a windshield in huge numbers? Where are they hiding the carnage? Makes one wonder......

By the way, not one FJR there with a sidecar mounted. Saw a few Connies and a ST, tons of Beemers and wings, scooters, V Stroms and Brit Iron, and of course Urals. There was a German fellow there that said the FJR is a popular sidecar bike in Europe. Oh, and average age of the sidecar crowd..... well over 108.... really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered my BFG GMAX today, $120 shipped via Amazon Prime. Note, the tire sites were all showing low availability, Tire Rack showing it in a Closeout Status
A bit OCD I know but BFG = BF Goodrich, yes? My GMax is from General. Are we talking the same thing?
BFG has the G-Force tire line, similar in siping to General Tire's G-Max AS-03. Maybe that's where I'm confused.
IMG_20150629_120841786_zpsnezbobpc.jpg

Duuhhhh...... My bad

Pterodactyl posted
So are they correct? The published record of the safe use of the CT on an FJR rim says no...... but, are we being duped by a vast Darksider conspiracy led by OCfjr and the other leading lights of the Darksider community? Are Darksiders going splat like flies on a windshield in huge numbers? Where are they hiding the carnage? Makes one wonder......
If they really are Darksiding, and Darksiding were really as dangerous as described to you, this thread would not be 200 pages long. Of course, OCfjr and others could be sitting in front of their computers laughing evilly as they lead you to your demise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duuhhhh...... My bad
I think it'll be fine. Sport car tire, all season performance, good tread pattern. I say go for it and see how you like it.

Duuhhhh...... My bad
Better triple check that bead.....