Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the process of trying to add a bicycle rack.Is that bad?
Screw them expensive Stebels....dont forget the

tobar-ltd-classic-bike-bell.jpg

ewww, swap bikes and ride with a car tire? I ain't gonna do that, but Ebbetts is a favorite road, so a one way and back on the same bike would work...that would factor out any advantage for one direction over the other...LOL

...OK serious for a moment...does anyone here really think that, at a spirited pace, a car tire will perform in the twisties as well as a m/c tire? Jes' askin'...if you do, let's make the run and see what happens...I will admit if I am incorrect in my assumptions if they can be proved false...I think a car tire must basically suck in the tight corners...for spirited riding of course...if ya want to ride it like it's a cruiser, well, whatever...

...And I won't auger in for anybody, I always ride my own pace, it just happens to be a fast, far pace that leaves most other riders I know sitting by the side of the road resting while I pile on the miles...

Last edited by a moderator:
...OK serious for a moment...does anyone here really think that, at a spirited pace, a car tire will perform in the twisties as well as a m/c tire?
I never suggested it would. Twisties is NOT the reason I decided to go to the CT, traveling was, (i.e. tread life). That doesn't mean I can't keep up a spirited pace.

..I think a car tire must basically suck in the tight corners...for spirited riding of course...if ya want to ride it like it's a cruiser, well, whatever...
There you go, thinking again. :rolleyes: :lol: As I've said many times, it's not that different. Yes, it's more work in the tight corners, but it still does everything a moto tire does. It's not nearly as bad as you think it is. I've discussed some of the reasons why that is earlier in this thread. Part of it has to do with the rear lifting and steepening the steering angle. Keep in mind, I've ridden both, you haven't. Which one of us knows more about the capabilities of both tires?

...And I won't auger in for anybody, I always ride my own pace, it just happens to be a fast, far pace that leaves most other riders I know sitting by the side of the road resting while I pile on the miles...
That's a good thing. You do sound a bit full of yourself though. ;) Suggesting someone come to your regular play place for a challenge is sort of off to begin with.

ewww, swap bikes ..<<SNIP>>.....And I won't auger in for anybody, I always ride my own pace, it just happens to be a fast, far pace that leaves most other riders I know sitting by the side of the road resting while I pile on the miles...

Roscoe Jenkins, you ARE THE MAN!! I'll watch for you on ESPN or SPEED NETWORK....which team do you ride for and what's your number?

:assassin:

p.s. I'll write to Yamaha and suggest they take the TOURER out of the "sport TOURER" catagory based on your knowledgable ramblings. Must be Friday™ somewhere.

I'm shopping for a CT now, I checked with a local CT shop and they have nothing that's the right size but said they would mount a walkin for $15!

Seems like the CTs used so far are:

Eric's original Bridgestone Potenza 019 grid

Aurora H1-7

BF Goodrich G-sport

Eric, you mentioned you would get a Yokohama Advan S4 next time-why?

I'm having trouble finding the 205/55/17 on the web sites and the phone wait is rather long. I noticed on TireRack's Yokohama spec site that they don't list a 205/55/17 for the Advan S4 but have a 205/50/17. The required rim size is 5-7.5”, the section width is 8.2” (2” less than the Bridgestone) and the circumference is 76.98” (if I didn't screw the math up-5280' x 12” divided by 823 revs/mile). I can't find the post where you gave the circumference of the Bridgestone, is this close? Thanks for your efforts. Ian, Iowa

I'm shopping for a CT now, I checked with a local CT shop and they have nothing that's the right size but said they would mount a walkin for $15!Seems like the CTs used so far are:

Eric's original Bridgestone Potenza 019 grid

Aurora H1-7

BF Goodrich G-sport

Eric, you mentioned you would get a Yokohama Advan S4 next time-why?

I'm having trouble finding the 205/55/17 on the web sites and the phone wait is rather long. I noticed on TireRack's Yokohama spec site that they don't list a 205/55/17 for the Advan S4 but have a 205/50/17. The required rim size is 5-7.5”, the section width is 8.2” (2” less than the Bridgestone) and the circumference is 76.98” (if I didn't screw the math up-5280' x 12” divided by 823 revs/mile). I can't find the post where you gave the circumference of the Bridgestone, is this close? Thanks for your efforts. Ian, Iowa
$15 for mount would be a great deal. Hopefully they won't balk at the motorcycle wheel.

You're having problems on the size because that's the wrong size. You need to look for 205/50-17, which is a common size.

I'm interested in the Yokohama because it's listed as slightly narrower, but is very similar to the Bridgestone all season in regards to wear and traction ratings. I'm pretty happy with the 019 Grid, but if I could get more mileage from a different tire, with similar traction/handling, and a bonus of perhaps narrow enough to use the stock brake tension arm, that would be a bonus.

IIRC, the Bridgestone is 25.1 in diameter, which puts my speedo/odo dead on accurate. The Yoko is 25.2 in dia. so perhaps 1 mph different reading, which I can live with.

eh, just always look at your gps speedometerjust sayin' :rolleyes:
You use a GPS? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Get lost much? Jane don't know squat.

;)

...That's a good thing. You do sound a bit full of yourself though. ;) Suggesting someone come to your regular play place for a challenge is sort of off to begin with.
Neh, not really, just have a twisted sense of humor and a built in barometer for things that make me go WTF?...

I'm sure you are content with a car tire on an FJR...curious, have you scraped pegs in the corners with that setup yet?

Oops on the size, had a senior moment (again). I ordered a Yokohama Advan S4 from tiresdirect for $143 delivered, should get it next week. The $15 mounted and balanced quote was after I told the guy it was an MC rim. I'll cut them some $$ slack if mounting is a huge problem. Looking forward to it apprehensively. Ian, Iowa

@FastFar - I've ridden Ebbetts Pass/SR-4 on the CT. Beats me if I can keep up with you, since I have no idea how you ride, and faster/safer is quantitative. I'm not interested in watching you auger in out there trying to stay ahead of me either! ;)

Eric you crack me up - that right there is some funny shit - I don't care who you are!

You've got to have a sense of humor around here.

Frankly, I exceeded my comfort level climbing up the pass and slowed down to wave another rider by me. I'm more comfortable with the CT now, but a healthy dose of common sense is a good thing.
How right you are could not have said it better myself!

Sorry about the double post, the browser said it didn't go thru the first time. Ian, Iowa

Oops on the size, had a senior moment (again). I ordered a Yokohama Advan S4 from tiresdirect for $143 delivered, should get it next week. The $15 mounted and balanced quote was after I told the guy it was an MC rim. I'll cut them some $$ slack if mounting is a huge problem. Looking forward to it apprehensively. Ian, Iowa
I'm combining a few posts with questions. So how much is that brake swing arm by Carmine? Also, in the area I live, I'm not sure I can find a car tire dealer who has a fitment for a motorcycle wheel for the tire mounting. I'd have to search for how to do this. I admit to being a little concerned on cornering with the CT but just might give it a try after wearing out my new PR2s later on. BTW, this comment below made me think--Don't ya just love humility in peeps? :rolleyes:

"...And I won't auger in for anybody, I always ride my own pace, it just happens to be a fast, far pace that leaves most other riders I know sitting by the side of the road resting while I pile on the miles

doctorj

[There you go, thinking again. :rolleyes: :lol: As I've said many times, it's not that different. Yes, it's more work in the tight corners, but it still does everything a moto tire does. It's not nearly as bad as you think it is. I've discussed some of the reasons why that is earlier in this thread. Part of it has to do with the rear lifting and steepening the steering angle. Keep in mind, I've ridden both, you haven't. Which one of us knows more about the capabilities of both tires?

This is the specious argument we hear all the time. For example:

child asks if he can run accross the freeway to Johny's house Ans. No

child says it saves time, shorter distance, saves bus fare Ans. still No

child says Johny does it and says he knows lots of kids who do it. Ans.????? Would we say in that case go ahead?

I would say when you're 21 yrs old and you want to take risks - go the **** ahead....BUT.....to suggest others do it is irresponsible.

I think all the engineers designing and testing motorcycles and tire companies researchers and designers would have a good idea what tire should be used on a given bike.....and which should not. <_<

Darksider #2 reporting in from Alaska.

Tire is holding up fine for the trip (Ottawa CFR Alaska and back), tread wear indicates it could do the trip twice.

Works well for touring, works great in gravel.

It can be punctured, I took a nail dead center but no problem plugging and sealing it.

One new issue, Anchorage has very rutted pavement from studded tires, it's a real pain with the CT

For me this is the perfect long distance touring rally solution, If you are running twisties at serious FJR velocities then a set of Pilot Roads 2 are what you are looking for.

I may well start looking for a spare gen 1 rear wheel when I get home so I can swap depending on my mood.

Chris

I'm combining a few posts with questions. So how much is that brake swing arm by Carmine?
PM Carmine, that will get you the fastest answer to that question.

Also, in the area I live, I'm not sure I can find a car tire dealer who has a fitment for a motorcycle wheel for the tire mounting. I'd have to search for how to do this.
Any dealer with a rim clamp style of tire mounter should be able to do it, IF they will do so on a Moto wheel. Brake rotor down usually solves any clearance issues. Some simply don't want to do it. A few calls, or some face time talking to them helps. Also, as previously discussed, give them a liability out, tell them it's going on a side car or trike. That makes them feel like it's more 'normal'.

@BugR - Glad you're out riding somewhere beautiful. Bastid! <_< Wish I was there too. The tracking has been discussed before. For those that missed it, grooves that are car tire width, especially studded tire wear grooves, really tend to pull the CT in. This is because the CT is the same width as the car tires that made the grooves. A narrower bike tire just goes in and out and it's not as noticeable. The CT wants to track more in the groove and requires more attention. It's not going to make you crash or anything that severe, it's just annoying and I pay more attention to staying out of the grooves.

@iboldguy - If everybody else jumped off a bridge would you do it too? No, you wouldn't. Me, sure, it's called bungie jumping. :lol:

I think all the engineers designing and testing motorcycles and tire companies researchers and designers would have a good idea what tire should be used on a given bike.....and which should not.
That there's just funny, I don't care who you are. :rofl: :rofl: Those engineers work for those companies. Guess what their goals are? Yep, for you to buy their stuff, as often as they can possibly get you to. Read the whole thread and come back to comment if you want. I'm not suggesting anyone else do this and I never have. I'm merely sharing my direct experience with the forum and allowing others to form their own opinions. Sure, I answer any questions as well as I can, and I'm not screaming don't do this to anyone. That's because it works, and doesn't pose a hazard.

Did you always do what your Mom said? Was she always right? I bet the answer to both of those questions is no. Think outside the box a little and consider sharing your direct experience or, lacking that, reading and observing others before commenting negatively. "Without data, it's just an opinion."

Well the misses decided to opt out on the long distance touring (what i bought the bike for) so its on the sale side to fund the next big thing (GS probably, want to get back into adventure touring if im gonna do it alone) . On that note I rode a friends GS yesterday (was outfitting on of his KLRs with some spare add ons hanging around in my garage) and WOW. After riding on the CT for a while, going back to a moto tire is an EYE OPENING experience. MUCH more responsive to bar input (also could be affected because of the type of bike, apples/oranges possibly)

The car tire still has its place in my book (straight slab touring, long distance stuff) but I will be going back to a moto tire on both this FJR (unless it sells first) and on subsequent bikes. There are enough curves on the rounte that I ride to make it more beneficial for ME to use a moto tire, though that will mean an extra $500.00 per year in tire cost.

OCFJR had it dead on, a CT isnt for everyone but does a great job for most who try it.

I will continue to post in this thread until the bike sells or I get to the garage and make the swap.