Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, time to compare performance...car tire vs. m/c tire in the twisties...I'll give $100 to anyone with an FJR running a dark side tire who can ride Ebbetts Pass/SR4 from Markleeville to Alpine Lake faster/safer than I can...that should settle the question...
What's the question that should settle?

Well the misses decided to opt out on the long distance touring (what i bought the bike for) so its on the sale side to fund the next big thing (GS probably, want to get back into adventure touring if im gonna do it alone) . On that note I rode a friends GS yesterday (was outfitting on of his KLRs with some spare add ons hanging around in my garage) and WOW. After riding on the CT for a while, going back to a moto tire is an EYE OPENING experience. MUCH more responsive to bar input (also could be affected because of the type of bike, apples/oranges possibly)
Sorry the misses didn't enjoy the LD riding. That can be a hard nut to crack. As to the GS, and moving from the CT to a moto tire being eye opening, you bet! You get used to the greater input of the CT and it becomes normal. Then you hop on a moto tire and it's HOLY SH*& this thing just drops right into turns and tosses about like a girls bike. :lol: Doesn't take long to get back into the feel of the moto tire, but that first 5 minutes is exciting.

The GS, with it's larger lock to lock steering and wide bars is sooo much better at tight, slow speed turns than the FJR. And not too shabby at higher speeds either. I was quite surprised at the power and smoothness of the 1200 GS.

The Yokohama Advan arrived today. VBG Mounting will take place tomorrow after work. Pictures will follow in the evening after a short ride of course. The adventure continues.

OK, time to compare performance...car tire vs. m/c tire in the twisties...I'll give $100 to anyone with an FJR running a dark side tire who can ride Ebbetts Pass/SR4 from Markleeville to Alpine Lake faster/safer than I can...that should settle the question...
What's the question that should settle?
...am I trading traction/control for more tire mileage?

You'll have to try it yourself and see, 'cause apparently the 622 posts before yours haven't given you the answer you're looking for.

Living in FLA(t), running the ragged edge through the mountains isn't much of an option for me, but commuting and touring 15-18k miles a year IS and I personally just can't afford 3-4 tire changes a year. All that FLA(t) riding wears out the center tread real fast.

I'll leave Pilot Powers on my Rex, but when I get the Feej put back together, it WILL have a CT on the rear before it hits the road again.

...am I trading traction/control for more tire mileage?
It Depends, mostly on riding style. If you brake in, hammer out and live for the twisties, yes, you're giving something up for more tire mileage. Not much traction/control IMHO, but ease of turn in and feel, both personal things that every rider has to quantify for themselves.

If you already ride the PACE, and enjoy twisties when you can, but realistically don't just ride to find them, no, you're not losing any traction/control, only ease of turn in.

If you rally, and put lots of miles on, the CT is better. Better traction/control on the marginal surfaces that many RMs like to send riders over.

I was having some issues with my handling before I mounted my CT and it surely didn't help.

My Penske was ready for a rebuild after 25,000-30,000 miles so I sent that out.

Made a huge difference but it was still "off".

Front tire is HAMMERED so I aired it up, (I'm at 50 PSI F&R now) and it's a different bike.

I can't wait to get that front tire off and get something round on there again.

You're not giving up much by using the CT.

Not much traction, not much control, not much cash.

If I need to go hit the twisties I'll pull out my Aprilia RS250 but for commuting the CT is the cat's ass.

I mounted the Yokohama Advan S 4 today. Just got back from a 70 mile ride stopping for three heat cycles on the tire. The tire performed as I expected, no surprises. Thanks to reading this entire thread, I knew just what to expect. The only thing I observed was the steering was heavy and at low speeds, below 10 mph, you feel everything in the roda surface. The tire will rub against the stock brake bar slightly, so you still have to make one up and mount it on the outside to gain the clearance. I have pics but I am with AT&T Internet service and they just changed the home page and now I cannot access my webpage to put the pics up to post them here. I am trying to claim Darksider #7 but having a tough time proving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figured it out. Here are some pics of it mounted as well as the brake arm and clearances.

Darkside2001.JPG

Darkside2002.JPG

Darkside2004.JPG

@Larry33319 - Welcome to the Darkside. You are indeed Darksider #7.

OCfjr - Darksider #1

BugR - Darksider #2

Doug555 - Darksider #3

Coastalcop - Darksider#4 (selling bike, but still #4)

Catfish - Darksider #5

Carmine - Darksider #6

Larry33319 - Darksider #7

tbwrench - Darksider #8

Ian - Darksider #9

Smokey2255 - ????

Yokohama should be here tomorrow; will get it mounted at tire shop. I've never replaced the valve stem, should I do this? If so, do I need a special one from Yamaha or will one made for an auto work?

Yokohama should be here tomorrow; will get it mounted at tire shop. I've never replaced the valve stem, should I do this? If so, do I need a special one from Yamaha or will one made for an auto work?
You need the shortest snap in valve made, a TR-412.I bought some at a Myers tire supply, they're not all that easy to find since they're too short for cars.

All the time, money and energy wasted that a DSer would do just to save a few bucks on tires - just doesn't add up to me. I don't see the cost to benefit ratio being worth it. And if you add in the safety risk component to this car tire on a bike process - its even more evidence its really not worth it.

You'd be better off just riding the durn bike, rather than wasting all the brain cells that have been fried by the effort to put that bloomin' silly piece of square sided hunk of crap on a motorcycle! :assassin:

:p

Scott

Don't worry about it too much. Or, install some of THESE sweet 90˚ fittings. Makes it a little easier to check tire pressure.

All the time, money and energy wasted that a DSer would do just to save a few bucks on tires - just doesn't add up to me. I don't see the cost to benefit ratio being worth it. And if you add in the safety risk component to this car tire on a bike process - its even more evidence its really not worth it.
You'd be better off just riding the durn bike, rather than wasting all the brain cells that have been fried by the effort to put that bloomin' silly piece of square sided hunk of crap on a motorcycle! :assassin:

:p

Scott
You're funny. Just ride the darn bike? Whatta ya think we want the CT for? Bet you're one of those one tire a year guys, huh? ;)

Figured it out. Here are some pics of it mounted as well as the brake arm and clearances.
Nice, mine arrives tomorrow. Looks like you fabricated a stainless steel brake arm, what are the dimensions? TIA Ian, Iowa

My initial reaction of you mouting a car tire on the FJR was "what the ?" Yet I have realized that the Boss Hoss offers both a small & big block v-8 for the the powerplant. The goldwing is 2 wheels short and a roof from being a civic. We add cruise control, driving & fog lights, dash shelves, and luggage racks. So why not? I applaud your ingenuity and desire to do something different.
However I think we should consider drawing the line at adding parking brakes, ski racks, and windshield wipers.
Don't laugh, I actually considered windshield wipers, When It rained on us EVERY SINGLE DAY, in Nova Scotia... :angry2:

Nice, mine arrives tomorrow. Looks like you fabricated a stainless steel brake arm, what are the dimensions? TIA Ian, Iowa

I just picked up a piece of SS and then laid the stock brake arm along side it and duplicated the length and hole locations. Be sure to have good drill bits and take your time while using cutting fluid to cool the bit. Not that hard to fab up.

I do ride my FJR. In fact my 06 has 57,000 miles on it right now. It could have more on it but I also ride my 08 CBR1000RR and my 83 CB 1100F as well. I just got tired of buying tires every couple months. I also have been following a Goldwing for the past year and he proved it can work and work quite well.

The goldwing is 2 wheels short and a roof from being a civic. We add cruise control, driving & fog lights, dash shelves, and luggage racks. However I think we should consider drawing the line at adding ... windshield wipers.
Don't laugh, I actually considered windshield wipers, When It rained on us EVERY SINGLE DAY, in Nova Scotia... :angry2:
There are aftermarket roofs for GoldWings.

And, in Japan, GoldWings come stock with windshield wipers.