Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just installed my CT today. It is the bridgestone grid 019 tire 200/50-17. Things observed installing it was a 2 person job for the top bead but easy enough. I had to trim my centerstand pads. More on the left than on the right. I made a new brake strut bar out of 1/4 X 1" material. I just used transfer dies to mark the hole centers. Total time to do install under an hour.

Test ride, first in the driveway I didn't like it, takes a lot of effort to turn. anything around 25mph and up it is very very good. I actually think that I have more cornering confidence now. The tire really seems to hook up and feels just fine on curves. You do feel a lot more of the road surface imperfections and bumps than a cycle tire but this tire is wider so I guess that should be expected. Tracking was straight and smooth. The last time I ran a CT was on a 98 Boss Hoss and that was a little weird. The bike is very heavy and wide with a 350 small block in it. I remember the tire lifting more on that bike but did not have that feeling on the FJR.

Now my friend that I tour with is going for the same tire as well. He should have it installed by the weekend. He is using the same tire as me.

Just my experience, best wishes.

TBW

Yokohama should be here tomorrow; will get it mounted at tire shop. I've never replaced the valve stem, should I do this? If so, do I need a special one from Yamaha or will one made for an auto work?
Don't worry about it too much. Or, install some of THESE sweet 90˚ fittings. Makes it a little easier to check tire pressure.
I've got those Arietes on both of my bikes. The black ones on my black 08 FJR look sweeeeeeeet!! The air pressure stays really well with these also.

doctorj

Howdy all, I am currently looking at buying me an fjr. Seeing that yall are running darkside makes this decision so much easier. I have been a darksider for a couple years now to the point that I am a moderator on a darkside related forum. https://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/forum.htm I have been looking at sport touring bikes for a while now believing them to meet my riding style and what I want a bike to do. I had it narrowed down to an fjr and the st1300. After much reading and reviews by the pros and the everyday riders I was already seriously leaning to the fjr. Now seeing that they are capable and stable running darkside my mind was made up. There is a bike in a local shop that has been there for a few months I have been in drooling oer it several times. Today I decided to actually ride it to see if the riding position and fit were all I thought it would be. Let me just say, Holy shit .... what a rocket ship. I was impressed with the power the fit and the handling of this thing. I rode my normal board scraping routes and this thing just chewed them up and spit them out begging for more. I had to hold myself and the machine back and wait until I actually own it to start pushing it hard. Because I am a total noob to these bikes I need to ask is there any difference on the brake bracket between an ABS and a non abs. I am looking at an 05 abs model and wanna make sure that it can go darkside before I pull the trigger and buy it.

Any and all help is appreciated

See you out there

Smokey

I'm tempted!!!! as soon as I run out of Pirelli's I'm gonna look into it. <_<

Because I am a total noob to these bikes I need to ask is there any difference on the brake bracket between an ABS and a non abs. I am looking at an 05 abs model and wanna make sure that it can go darkside before I pull the trigger and buy it.
Smokey - no difference between ABS and non-ABS. May be a difference between Gen I, ('03-05), and Gen II, ('06-09), but the same type of brake tension arm works for all of them. The '05 ABs is identical to my '04 ABS, except for the color.

Welcome to the forum. :yahoo:

TBwrench - Welcome to the Darkside. You are FJR Darksider #8 if you care.

When we pass ten, does it become just another farkle? i.e. Normal!? :blink:

Hey Eric, no difference between the G1 and G2.

The brake brackets for my '07 and my old '04 (#'s 5 and 6 respectively) were both the same.

Hey Eric, no difference between the G1 and G2.The brake brackets for my '07 and my old '04 (#'s 5 and 6 respectively) were both the same.

Thanks for adding that tidbit of solid info Catfish. I've been slack in looking up the part numbers to compare and haven't had a Gen II handy to physically check. Now we know!

Nah, Anything originating with you could never be considered normal
<Elvis mode on>

Thank you, thank you very much.

<Elvis mode off>

I've always been more worried about the people that define themselves as normal than the rest of us crazies. :crazy:

[quote name='OCfjr' date='Jul 16 2009, 06:22 AM' post='613293'

I've always been more worried about the people that define themselves as normal than the rest of us crazies. :crazy:

Right...."Only sameness IS normal" said EE Cummings :D

Last night, I removed and dismounted the old MCT, got my CT this morning and snuck out of work to take it to the shop that agreed to mount it for $15. Oops, their machine wouldn't hold a rim that had a center that stuck out farther than the rim edge-bummer. Stopped at another tire shop on the way back to the clinic to see if they could help me. After mentioning sidecar rig, no need for a receipt and I wasn't the lawerly type, they agreed to do it. Took two guys about 5 minutes to get the job done (the Yokohama is directional so I pointed out the arrow and the rim orientation). Went to pay and the guy said $3. I tried to give him at $20 and he refused-I about fainted. Tipped the mechanic and left a happy guy.

Went home over the lunch hour to put it on the bike-heavy SOB! Had more trouble getting the splines lined up than usual but after some help from "she who must be obeyed" using a crow bar for leverage, got it. Did a quick "temporary" brake arm fabrication out of some galvanized steel strap I found in a corner and will be good to go tomorrow. I'm too old and too chicken to back it off the lift by myself. Ian, Iowa

Last edited by a moderator:
$3!?!?!?

AWESOME!!!

I have a Coats rim clamp machine in my garage and I thought the CT was gonna be a bitch even with that.

Carmine and I were ready with tire irons and it damn near fell on by itself.

I almost took it off and remounted it to see if it would get any harder.

Goldwing tires are a BITCH but with the CT it was like playing ring toss.

Make sure the next time you go by that shop (you WILL be going back there right?) you bring a pizza and/or ice cold adult beverages.

Now go play and report back.

Because I am a total noob to these bikes I need to ask is there any difference on the brake bracket between an ABS and a non abs. I am looking at an 05 abs model and wanna make sure that it can go darkside before I pull the trigger and buy it.
Smokey - no difference between ABS and non-ABS. May be a difference between Gen I, ('03-05), and Gen II, ('06-09), but the same type of brake tension arm works for all of them. The '05 ABs is identical to my '04 ABS, except for the color.

Welcome to the forum. :yahoo:

TBwrench - Welcome to the Darkside. You are FJR Darksider #8 if you care.

When we pass ten, does it become just another farkle? i.e. Normal!? :blink:

I accept darksider #8 position. Thank you. And I am still liking the tire! I think this is going to be great and I will save a lot of money on tires. I usually go through 2-3 a year.

best wishes

TBW

Last night, I removed and dismounted the old MCT, got my CT this morning and snuck out of work to take it to the shop that agreed to mount it for $15. Oops, their machine wouldn't hold a rim that had a center that stuck out farther than the rim edge-bummer. Stopped at another tire shop on the way back to the clinic to see if they could help me. After mentioning sidecar rig, no need for a receipt and I wasn't the lawerly type, they agreed to do it. Took two guys about 5 minutes to get the job done (the Yokohama is directional so I pointed out the arrow and the rim orientation). Went to pay and the guy said $3. I tried to give him at $20 and he refused-I about fainted. Tipped the mechanic and left a happy guy.
That's a great deal! Did they balance it too? Regardless, nice to know it wasn't too much of a problem for you, or them.

Welcome to the Darkside Ian. I anoint you Darksider #9. ;) I look forward to reading your impressions once you've scrubbed in the tire and had some rides on it. Remember to be cautious on that first ride.