Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read the entire thread. Check

ReRead the important parts. Check

Research which tire to buy. Check

Purchase tire. Check

Mount and balance tire. Check

Fabricate new SS brake arm. Check

Secure FJR Darkside #7. :ph34r: Check

Ride 200 miles over 3 evenings to enjoy tire and adjust air pressure. Check (***BTW, I used a digital pyrometer and took tread temperatures immediatly after a spirited ride. I adjusted pressure until I had the same temp across the tread. I ended up with 31# on the Yokohama Advan S 4, 205-50-17. One pound can indeed make a big differance.) :yahoo:

Keep checking on the seat when I go to the garage each evening for a ride and still cannot find the Cookies that were supposed to be on the Darkside. Did I miss a step in the Darkside process? B)

Keep checking on the seat when I go to the garage each evening for a ride and still cannot find the Cookies that were supposed to be on the Darkside. Did I miss a step in the Darkside process? B)
I have cookies with me. You find me before going to the Darkside, I freely offer them. NOW, you have to carry cookies with you to offer to others when they ask about the CT. And trust me, you're going to get some questions.

;)

Ahhh, I missed that part of the Darkside Instructional Video, I must have been in the bathroom. Yes, I have already gotten strange looks. It is almost comical the facial expression that you first see when they spot the CT. :blink: I will have to get some cookies to keep in the saddle bags. I am still waiting for my first rain ride. I know it will not be long. I have a 250 mile ride planned for tomorrow so maybe, just maybe, I can see how it does in teh rain. The Yoke performs extremely well in every application I have tried so far. I can safely say this was one of my better motorcycle decisions. I am glad I went Darkside.

I'm in the process of trying to add a bicycle rack.Is that bad?
Screw them expensive Stebels....dont forget the

tobar-ltd-classic-bike-bell.jpg
I have that exact horn!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, I missed that part of the Darkside Instructional Video, I must have been in the bathroom. Yes, I have already gotten strange looks. It is almost comical the facial expression that you first see when they spot the CT. :blink: I will have to get some cookies to keep in the saddle bags. I am still waiting for my first rain ride. I know it will not be long. I have a 250 mile ride planned for tomorrow so maybe, just maybe, I can see how it does in teh rain. The Yoke performs extremely well in every application I have tried so far. I can safely say this was one of my better motorcycle decisions. I am glad I went Darkside.
same same my very first ride was in a terrential rain and it frankly just doesnt make a difference to me i just leave a bit more room for other people to make mistakes and me to avoid the people making those mistakes

(***BTW, I used a digital pyrometer and took tread temperatures immediatly after a spirited ride. I adjusted pressure until I had the same temp across the tread. I ended up with 31# on the Yokohama Advan S 4, 205-50-17. One pound can indeed make a big differance.)[/color] :yahoo:
Since you have a pyrometer to use, I'll assume that you must know something about using them. I think I understand the theory behind its use to adjust pressure on a tire when mounted on a car with fixed camber, but when on a bike wouldn't the sides of the tire necessarily get warmer than the center since we corner only on the sides? Or did you do your temp checks while riding only flat and straight? Or does it really not matter for some other reason I can't fathom?

Last edited by a moderator:
I road raced cars for 13 years with the SCCA. I was fortunate enough to win 4 Championships in my class. With the help of an expert from Goodyear, I learned to attempt to get even temps across the tread of my race slicks. In road racing, with the cornering speeds used, you are only riding on the full tread when going in a straight line. Same as a Motorcycle tire. Several Darksiders I have talked to have said they try to obtain correct air pressure by checking tread wear and by feel. I understand going on feel, but checking tread wear witha tread depth gauge just seemed like a very long process to get information. Using a pyrometer, I applied the same technique I used when road racing. For me it appears to work. I am also releying on seat of the pants feel as well. I am 55 and have been riding on the street since I was 17. I am no expert, and do not claim to be, but I know what works for me. I also live in South Florida. On ANY motorcycle down here, Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, after a couple thousand miles you can look at the profile and see a large flat spot in the center of the tire. So riding on the outside edge of the tire is not really an option here. I do take a week vacation each year in the Smokies for some mountain riding as well as take the Auto Train from Florida to Virginia to ride the Blue Ride Parkway all the way back. One of the couples who take these vacations with us is a Darksider on a Goldwing. After watching him for a couple years and the reports from OCfjr, going to the Darkside was a no brainer.

Here is a link to someone else who has a very good write up on the Darkside. Definitely worth the read. Not FJR specific but rear CT specific.

Darkside write up

$3!?!?!?AWESOME!!!

I have a Coats rim clamp machine in my garage and I thought the CT was gonna be a bitch even with that.

Carmine and I were ready with tire irons and it damn near fell on by itself.

I almost took it off and remounted it to see if it would get any harder.

Goldwing tires are a BITCH but with the CT it was like playing ring toss.

Make sure the next time you go by that shop (you WILL be going back there right?) you bring a pizza and/or ice cold adult beverages.

Now go play and report back.
No kiddin !!

Don't even wait till next time you need a tire mounted - take them the pizza and beer next week!

[There you go, thinking again. :rolleyes: :lol: As I've said many times, it's not that different. Yes, it's more work in the tight corners, but it still does everything a moto tire does. It's not nearly as bad as you think it is. I've discussed some of the reasons why that is earlier in this thread. Part of it has to do with the rear lifting and steepening the steering angle. Keep in mind, I've ridden both, you haven't. Which one of us knows more about the capabilities of both tires?
This is the specious argument we hear all the time. For example:

child asks if he can run accross the freeway to Johny's house Ans. No

child says it saves time, shorter distance, saves bus fare Ans. still No

child says Johny does it and says he knows lots of kids who do it. Ans.????? Would we say in that case go ahead?

I would say when you're 21 yrs old and you want to take risks - go the **** ahead....BUT.....to suggest others do it is irresponsible.

I think all the engineers designing and testing motorcycles and tire companies researchers and designers would have a good idea what tire should be used on a given bike.....and which should not. <_<

It couldn't be they can make more money selling MC tires that will go 1/4 the distance at almost twice the price????????

[....................................I would say when you're 21 yrs old and you want to take risks - go the **** ahead....BUT.....to suggest others do it is irresponsible.
I think all the engineers designing and testing motorcycles and tire companies researchers and designers would have a good idea what tire should be used on a given bike.....and which should not. <_<

It couldn't be they can make more money selling MC tires that will go 1/4 the distance at almost twice the price????????
um in my dictionary engineer and salesman have different meanings, I notice CT producers don't want all the money available from motorcyclists - wondering why?

Lets see one needs to search for a CT that will fit since this is not a listed application, CT is way harder to mount or must find some shop who with wink wink will do it, have to speculate about air pressure, have adjust bike parts to stop tire rubbing, then the bike is much harder to turn in, would not try to match a rider on the same bike with spec tires on a freeway ramp, I notice how well drag bikes with similar tires 'handle', I note that very often the wear rate of tires coorelates inversely with friction on the road

Like I said to the guy who said he didn't need a helmet, I said you just haven't been in the situation you needed yet.

However, as I said, if you're 21 years old etc etc

It's ok if it scares you iboldguy. No one said you have to do it.

You're making some misleading statements though. There is a size for this application. It specifically says it fits our width of rim. It's takes a little more turn in pressure, not much more. It's harder for me to mount by hand, but not much of a big deal with an automatic tire mounting device. There's no problem handling on freeway ramps or anywhere else. The person that said that in a previous post was a non CT user that's like you, unable to understand how it could work. It's ok, you don't have to understand how, only that it does.

Yes, it requires a minor change to the bike. You never changed anything on your FJR? Jeeze, iboldguy, the engineers didn't design it for you to add sliders to. The frame isn't designed for those stress loads. You're gonna die! Hey, it's ok, you're 21, do what you like.

Okay, so who's REALLY posting as OCfjr? We ALL know the REAL OCfjr burst into flames and exploded when he first rode his Darkside Feejer, what, 15,000+ miles ago?

Okay, so who's REALLY posting as OCfjr? We ALL know the REAL OCfjr burst into flames and exploded when he first rode his Darkside Feejer, what, 15,000+ miles ago?
Nah, I got a picture of him @ CFR clearing the dishes off the table at a cafe we wuz at. Waitin' on that perfect moment tho...hehehe

[....................................I would say when you're 21 yrs old and you want to take risks - go the **** ahead....BUT.....to suggest others do it is irresponsible.

um in my dictionary engineer and salesman have different meanings, I notice CT producers don't want all the money available from motorcyclists - wondering why?

Lets see one needs to search for a CT that will fit since this is not a listed application, CT is way harder to mount or must find some shop who with wink wink will do it, have to speculate about air pressure, have adjust bike parts to stop tire rubbing, then the bike is much harder to turn in, would not try to match a rider on the same bike with spec tires on a freeway ramp, I notice how well drag bikes with similar tires 'handle', I note that very often the wear rate of tires coorelates inversely with friction on the road

Like I said to the guy who said he didn't need a helmet, I said you just haven't been in the situation you needed yet.

However, as I said, if you're 21 years old etc etc
Wish I were 21. I see the people that are doing this providing proof it works while I see nothing but verbiage and nay saying from you. Who should I believe???/ not you for sure. Now you are trying to say because a drag bike does not handle well in corners an FJR won't Put Sport touring tires on a drag bike and it still will not handle for shit.

19,000 miles now. I haven't been getting out much for rides since CFR.
Howzabout a pic of the tire? All up close and personal.
Just for you Howie. Measures 9/64 to the wear bars still. Or, it started with 10/32", now it's a bit over 4/32". A bit more "profiled" on the edges from my pushing it around the corners.

vmubo2.jpg

2ho8xhw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: