Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you're having fun on your trip Ian. The tire will actually get better as it wears and the transitions/grooves will become less noticeable. Post pics if you darkside the FZ-1.

I measured my FZ1 and looks like there is plenty of room for the same tire. :clapping:

hfca274.jpg
[SIZE=36pt]+[/SIZE]
RcTire6a.jpg
[SIZE=36pt]=[/SIZE]
1407470_Grim-Reaper.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe just for shits and grins we can talk him into mounting a studded tire for the winter to keep the thread going until spring :clapping:

Maybe just for shits and grins we can talk him into mounting a studded tire for the winter to keep the thread going until spring :clapping:
Not going to happen. Studs on bare pavement are scary. And I'd need to stud the front tire as well. If I lived where Ray does, it might happen. They don't even plow all the way down to pavement there in the Winter. Here in O.C. it's usually bare pavement all winter except for a week or so.

Wish I has some more gas money. :( Been off work the last two weeks. I could have been racking up major miles, but I just can't afford to right now. Anyone want to buy a S&S 96CI crate long block motor? I'm probably going to sell my V-twin project one way or another to pay down bills and put some money in the bank.

This thread cannot die. I am still alive and well after 2652 miles on my Yokahama CT. I still have only one regret. That is that I did not do it sooner. Oct 10th I will be giving it another serious test as I am taking the Auto Train from here to Lorton Virginia and riding Skyline Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway to 441 S to Fort Lauderdale and home. Should be a very nice ride.

So Eric, how many miles on that tire now? How bout another picture. My last bike was a 1400 intruder and lots of people put car tires on them. I've never seen one on a bike as sporting as an fjr though. Then again, three sets of tires in one season gets old fast.

Not going to happen. Studs on bare pavement are scary.
Ya know, Before you put on that CT you wouldn't have said boo about studs being slippery.. ;) Ya wuz a manly man B)

Conclusive evidence that it caused yer balls to fall off :lol:

:jester:

So Eric, how many miles on that tire now? How bout another picture. My last bike was a 1400 intruder and lots of people put car tires on them. I've never seen one on a bike as sporting as an fjr though. Then again, three sets of tires in one season gets old fast.
Too broke to do much riding lately. 21k on the Bridgestone Potenza 019G Grid all season performance tire. Looks a lot like the last pic in this thread.

@Lago Runner - TMI dude. Buy some LD Comfort shorts.

Ok, what the heck, here is a pic from today - 21k miles. Estimate another 10k, give or take, left on the tire. Could have worn it out this last two weeks if I'd had gas money. :cry:

2whqc5d.jpg

Worth noting is that CTs are generally softer tread compounds than moto tires. So much more surface area still allows better mileage life than moto tires, along with starting off at 10/32" of tread depth.

I've got my eye on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. My Roadsmart is getting that uneven wear that every dual compound tire I've tried gets. I gave up on the dual rubbers and have a cheap Shinko F009 on the front now and really like it so far. I feel another Iron Butt run coming on in the near future.

yeppers Catfishes aurora h107 is doing its dob in the rally im hearing hes somwhere around Kalifornia and the cartire on the rear has not come up in conversations at all THATS A GOOD THING no news is great news. i am definately loving mine and welll when he gets home from washington ill be able to tell ya how it did on the rally, well have to get some fresh pics up to see how it survived the long distance riding.

That's the beauty of running a CT in the 'butt. One less thing to worry about. Not to mention more resistance to damage and flats. None of the Wings in the rally appear to be having issues with the CTs either.

yeppers Catfishes aurora h107 is doing its dob in the rally im hearing hes somwhere around Kalifornia and the cartire on the rear has not come up in conversations at all THATS A GOOD THING no news is great news. i am definately loving mine and welll when he gets home from washington ill be able to tell ya how it did on the rally, well have to get some fresh pics up to see how it survived the long distance riding.
Anyone know if he changed a front during any of the check points?

This thread cannot die. I am still alive and well after 2652 miles on my Yokahama CT. I still have only one regret. That is that I did not do it sooner. Oct 10th I will be giving it another serious test as I am taking the Auto Train from here to Lorton Virginia and riding Skyline Drive to the Blue Ridge Parkway to 441 S to Fort Lauderdale and home. Should be a very nice ride.
I'm about done on the left coast and am heading back east through NV, UT, CO, NM, TX, OK, AR & MO. 7,000+ miles; I've replaced the front once and have about 50% wear on the second tire. The rear (Yokohama) is 30% gone after 8,000+ miles (WTF Eric, you promised more mileage :rolleyes: ). I don't even think about the CT anymore except where the pavement sections aren't even and people ask me about it-happens a bunch.

Thanks Eric for being the guinea pig! Ian, Iowa

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if he changed a front during any of the check points?
He did not change the front from what I saw and heard.

I'm about done on the left coast and am heading back east through NV, UT, CO, NM, TX, OK, AR & MO. 7,000+ miles; I've replaced the front once and have about 50% wear on the second tire. The rear (Yokohama) is 30% gone after 8,000+ miles (WTF Eric, you promised more mileage ). I don't even think about the CT anymore except where the pavement sections aren't even and people ask me about it-happens a bunch.Thanks Eric for being the guinea pig! Ian, Iowa
If you weren't such a hoon those front tires would last longer too! Glad you're having a great time. I'm totally jealous of such a epic trip. You know you owe us a trip report when you get back. :good:

This Saturday I finally get to fully test my Yokohama CT. After 3500 miles around Florida, a group of us are taking the Auto Train to Virginia and riding the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway home. I think that will give me a much better test than just playing in South Florida. I am looking forward to a week of real twisties and elevation changes.