Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeppers Catfishes aurora h107 is doing its dob in the rally im hearing hes somwhere around Kalifornia and the cartire on the rear has not come up in conversations at all THATS A GOOD THING no news is great news. i am definately loving mine and welll when he gets home from washington ill be able to tell ya how it did on the rally, well have to get some fresh pics up to see how it survived the long distance riding.
YO!!!

Are you trying to weld galvanized with the windows closed again?

Just got back to this thread.

I added 10,000 miles to that Aurora and it didn't miss a beat.

The one PR2 I used handled it pretty good too.

guys quick question.

I have searched and searched nearby shops, i cant find anyone willing to mount this tire on the rim for me. I tried using cunning and guile, but i guess i look like a cop or some shit nobody will play ball.

So im going to put it on there myself. Any tips? Ive already heard that soaping the shit out of the rim and tire will help it slide on easier, but i dont know jack about balancing. How do i balance it or determine if it needs to be balanced? Any other tips for mounting in general would be appreciated. I will be using a bunch of long screwdrivers and (speculative) heavy cussing. ^_^

I went with the Bridgestone Potenza g019 grid.

guys quick question. So im going to put it on there myself.

Any tips?

Any other tips for mounting in general would be appreciated. I will be using a bunch of long screwdrivers

and (speculative) heavy cussing. ^_^
I wouldn't advise using screwdrivers -- the can gouge the rim (in the bead area) and prevent tires from properly sealing (you may always be losing a little air...).

Use proper tire tools and protective pieces of plastic/leather/? to protect the aluminum.

Cussing can help (sometimes)... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
guys quick question. So im going to put it on there myself.

Any tips?

Any other tips for mounting in general would be appreciated. I will be using a bunch of long screwdrivers

and (speculative) heavy cussing. ^_^
I wouldn't advise using screwdrivers -- the can gouge the rim (in the bead area) and prevent tires from properly sealing (you may always be losing a little air...).

Use proper tire tools and protective pieces of plastic/leather/? to protect the aluminum.

Cussing can help (sometimes)... :rolleyes:

ok, if im buying a tire tool do you have any kind you would recomend? Is there a certain type people favor over others?

edit.... just searched and found some that look good.

Where are you located?

I can't believe that there's not a member in the area that doesn't know where to get a CT mounted.

There were so many negatives in that last sentance I'm not sure what I really said but you get the idea.

What kind of shops did you try? Any auto tire shop with a rim clamp style changer can do the job. The only issue is getting them to try. With the wheel off the bike I suggest simply telling them it's for a side car rig if they ask.

More and more, liability concerns are preventing shops from doing anything outside the norm. Sad. Thinking outside the box and trying new things is what we do in America. We are creating a society of sheeple.

Tell us where you are located. Hopefully someone with a tire changer will give you a hand. Screwdrivers are a bad tool for a tire change. And as demonstrated in the early posts, you need several tools to get the second bead on. Technique makes a big difference as well. That's where an experienced tire mounter will really help out.

Hey Eric, How's that thing holding out? Ya ready for a new one yet?
:jester:
Same O thing, no problems. [SIZE=8pt]Just can't find my balls anywhere though.[/SIZE] Haven't been getting much riding time in the last few months.

I'm hoping to get some miles on this next week. Laid off work, bills paid, thinking about tossing the tent and sleeping bag on the bike and heading to NM to explore Taos area a bit. Have to be in Gerlach, NV on the 16th. Right at 23k on the CT right now. At 10k on the front Conti-Motion, it's getting a bit worn but still pretty even. I may order another one of these.

What kind of shops did you try? Any auto tire shop with a rim clamp style changer can do the job. The only issue is getting them to try. With the wheel off the bike I suggest simply telling them it's for a side car rig if they ask.
More and more, liability concerns are preventing shops from doing anything outside the norm. Sad. Thinking outside the box and trying new things is what we do in America. We are creating a society of sheeple.

Tell us where you are located. Hopefully someone with a tire changer will give you a hand. Screwdrivers are a bad tool for a tire change. And as demonstrated in the early posts, you need several tools to get the second bead on. Technique makes a big difference as well. That's where an experienced tire mounter will really help out.

I live basically in Jacksonville, Fl.

I have been to several shops, called even more. I have a short buzzed haircut and all i can say is that i seem to exude the look of someone thats there to get someone in trouble. The only thing i havent tried yet is throwing the tire and rim in the back of my truck and riding through the shittier areas of town looking for a junkyard type outfit that will do it for me. Which might end up happening i guess. I have always done my own service on almost everything i own, using the internet or service manuals and a hope and a prayer. Which means i dont really know any mechanics, or have any "hookups" so to speak of. Sorry for the tmi i am just frustrated.

I would appreciate help from anyone, :D but certainly do not expect it.

Also agree on the sheeple idea. People are basically afraid of getting their doors sued shut, which i understand. Even offering to pay cash and explaining that i dont require any paperwork, just the tire mounted etc etc, everyone just looks at me like im trying to purchase plutonium.

Laid off work, bills paid, thinking about tossing the tent and sleeping bag on the bike and heading to NM to explore Taos area a bit. Have to be in Gerlach, NV on the 16th.

Ocfjr's real identity.

2d9zcht.jpg

I may give my local bike shop a try next time. I've been walking tires in there for years now. They know me, know I ride a lot. I usually just leave the tire(s) and wheels in their basement near the tire changer and go upstairs to fill out the service paperwork for a M&B. Never tried them for the CT, but I'm thinking I won't even mention it's a CT, just that I need a tire mounted and balanced and see what happens.

"Is this a car tire?" "No, it's a new long wear bike tire."

What? That's what the tire rep told me, I swear! ;)

Ocfjr's real identity.
:lol: I'd get way more babes with a name like Lorenzo and hair that long. Never mind the six pack abs.
Hell, Eric....I thought he meant the cross-dresser on the right! :****:

BTW Dangerdog....check out the independent "cruiser" oriented shops in your area. They'd pay money to watch a cat screw a rat, so making a buck off a Darksider should be a nobrainer.

'Howie

Cycle Gear down here in Fort Lauderdale will mount them. Check a Cycle Gear near you. Hopefully they will work with you. Otherwise ask them to call the Lauderhill or West Palm stores to ask how they did it. LOL

i dont require any paperwork, just the tire mounted etc etc, everyone just looks at me like im trying to purchase plutonium.
I'm sure plutonium purchase wouldn't be a problem today...

Your in a large area! Hard to believe. Does the Naval base have a auto hobby shop? Maybe some gear head could do it for you there. .//

I went to a car tire place with empty rim and CT in hand. First one agreed to do it for $15 but when he checked the rim, he said the disk brake wouldn't work on his machine. Second guy said he didn’t do MC tires because of the liability, I told him:

It’s for a sidecar rig (blatant lie, thanks Eric)

I’d pay cash

I didn’t need a receipt.

It took them less than 5 minutes and they charged me $3-wouldn’t take any more. I tipped the mechanic. (Next time, I’ll try to buy the Yokohama from them.)

Took it home, the balance was as close as most of the MC tires I’ve mounted so I didn’t balance it. I haven’t balanced a MC tire for several years now with OK results.

For MC tires, I use MotionPro 16” tire irons (2-3) and cut up shampoo bottles as rim protectors-much better than the regular rim protectors-don’t get stuck..

I use lots of tire lube from NAPA.

Best thing I ever did! I just finished a 10,500 mile trip, replaced the front tire in Sonora, CA and again in Arkansas, half the CT is left.

Man Eric, Oregon is getting those great chip seal roads like AR-stick like glue but sure chew through front tires. Ian, Iowa

i dont require any paperwork, just the tire mounted etc etc, everyone just looks at me like im trying to purchase plutonium.
I'm sure plutonium purchase wouldn't be a problem today...

Your in a large area! Hard to believe. Does the Naval base have a auto hobby shop? Maybe some gear head could do it for you there. .//

I was about to say the same thing. I was stationed at NAS Jax for a few years and did just about every type of maintenance possible in their shop. Only thing I never used was the paint booth. I'm associating your buzzcut with military (stereotyping is bad mmmmk?) so maybe that would work. If I still lived there I take care of it, any military member should be able to get you in.

This thread is the craziest shit I have ever witnessed on this forum. And I missed the whole thing! Thanks to the OP for posting the Cliff Notes version.

Congrats to the OP for pioneering new ground. Like all mavericks, everyone called him whacko at first - then, everyone began to realize brilliance and join the ranks. Gotta love America - see a problem and solve it head on. Nicely done. Love it!

-BD

OK... Freaky crazy coincidence here...

After checking out the forum and this thread, I was looking over Killboy's weekly update, and what did I find:

img_8980.jpg

Not sure how long the link will work, but DAMN, OCFjr is onto something!

-BD

And what do you know.... Not but 15 pictures later...

img_7573.jpg

Like there is some kind of conspiracy going on!!

-BD