Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So looks like we have a cure for rear tire milage - Looking at going to the dark side myself when the current rear is burnt off

Thru the tread I seen some double dark siding - sounded like a rear tire on the front

Is this truely being done by some?

What kind of milage are they getting on the front? with a rear?

Later

So looks like we have a cure for rear tire milage - Looking at going to the dark side myself when the current rear is burnt offThru the tread I seen some double dark siding - sounded like a rear tire on the front

Is this truely being done by some?

What kind of milage are they getting on the front? with a rear?

Later
Double Darksiding is currently only a Wing thang. I haven't looked for a rear that will fit and have clearance. IIRC, on the Wing, there is a rear tire of the same size as the normal front spec, so it's an easier thing to do. I do need a front tire.....

11k on the Conti- Motion and it's toast. I recall seeing a rear 140/70-17 in some brands. I may peek at the specs and see if it's do-able on the front of the FJR.

The Wing guys run the rear tire backwards on the front wheel and say the prime reason for better mileage in that use is greater tread depth. Reportedly, no negative handling traits on the 900 Lb. beastie from doing this.

"The Wing guys run the rear tire backwards on the front wheel "

My buddy has a GL1800 trike that stuck a rear Metzler Laser on the front that way, I wonder why backwards?

He did it cause the shop told him it's the way, but I'm just curious?

"The Wing guys run the rear tire backwards on the front wheel "
My buddy has a GL1800 trike that stuck a rear Metzler Laser on the front that way, I wonder why backwards?

He did it cause the shop told him it's the way, but I'm just curious?
Maybe because the rear tyre mostly drives (a forward push between tyre and road), the front to brake (a backwards push)?

Not sure about the logic, a car has the same issues (depending on front- rear- or all-wheel drive). But then, logic seems to have no influence on opinions about tyres. :dribble:

The newest Dark Sider?

DarkSider.jpg

been riding with mine for a minute now, really cant tell anymore.

pushed the bike fairly hard in corners, leaned her as far as i ever have, still grabbed like hell. A couple of coworkers were trying to talk noise to me saying it was crazy, no way i could get any kind of performance out of that, blah blah blah, then i look over at one of thems TL1000 and the chicken strips on the side of the tire look pristine. Lol they looked like he had never even leaned the bike at all, much less rode hard.

I guess you had to be there but it was sweet owning him. He started stammering and soon after found a reason to leave.

Dood! The only reason he was a'stammering... was due to the fact your voice sounded like you'd just inhaled helium.. Keyrist! yer balls fell off because of that dangerous Car Tire. An, the poor bastage was delirious at the sound of yer voice..

Nice try man :lol:

:jester:

Dood! The only reason he was a'stammering... was due to the fact your voice sounded like you'd just inhaled helium.. Keyrist! yer balls fell off because of that dangerous Car Tire. An, the poor bastage was delirious at the sound of yer voice..

Just saw these on the highway near my house. Just wonderin' who's messin' with shit?

black.jpg

Just saw these on the highway near my house. Just wonderin' who's messin' with shit?

black.jpg
Must be an old geezer...that's a mighty big yamsack for a couple a BB's... :glare:

Oh, that's just great Howie! :( At least ya coulda stopped an picked 'em up for me... The wife lost mine down that way an I know they might be mine by the size of the hanger hole :lol:

Thanks pal. :rolleyes:

So the question I've got is how does it wheelie with a car tire? What I'm really interested in is can you steer it at all with the front in the air, or does it just go in the direction it was headed? That could keep me from mounting the car tire on my FJR.

Grady

So the question I've got is how does it wheelie with a car tire? What I'm really interested in is can you steer it at all with the front in the air, or does it just go in the direction it was headed? That could keep me from mounting the car tire on my FJR.
Grady
For those not in the know, Grady here has put over 100k on two different R-1s. He's trolling, but with experience!

I don't know how it steers in a wheelie with a CT. I suspect it steers just as well as with a moto tire and is more stable in the wheelie. :rolleyes:

Not really trolling, I was curious to know if anyone had really tried this out. Also, what is the speed rating on the car tire you are using. I'm seriously considering trying this out next year. I guess I can still use the R1 if I want to wear out the knee sliders :)

Grady

Grady

I will let you know when i get my pc3 map issues worked out via dyno or if i can find a decent map before then.

right now i think i would empty half my tank if i tried to give that AE enough throttle to pull her up.

Not really trolling, I was curious to know if anyone had really tried this out. Also, what is the speed rating on the car tire you are using. I'm seriously considering trying this out next year. I guess I can still use the R1 if I want to wear out the knee sliders :)
Grady
You can choose any speed rating you want. The BT 019G is rated as a 'V', (or 149 mph rating). Most of the performance all season tires are similar. Z ratings come with the Summer rated tires.

I think it was on the LDRider list that Warchild mentioned taking someone's bike for a ride at Gerlach. Now I haven't seen anything since, was it someone's bike from here that he was taking? If you are reading this Dale, what were your thoughts after riding it?

Grady

I think it was on the LDRider list that Warchild mentioned taking someone's bike for a ride at Gerlach. Now I haven't seen anything since, was it someone's bike from here that he was taking? If you are reading this Dale, what were your thoughts after riding it?
Grady
I offered my bike for Dale to take for a familiarization ride on 447 on LDRider. Dale said that he would do so, but ended up driving to Gerlachfest to meet his carpooling needs. No gear, so no ride was taken. I doubt Dale is still subscribed to this thread. Art M. did take it for a very short ride. You could PM him. (Vectervp1) I tried to get Greg M. to try it as well, but he's a pussy. ;)

It's really not that different from a moto tire Grady. Do you really wheelie the FJR that much? You can scrape pegs with the CT just like you do with a moto tire. The steering is heavy, compared to a moto tire, but you get used to this quickly and it's really not an issue. The CT feels different when crossing lines/seams running with the road as you are feeling each edge, going on, then going off, rather than a single small tire print going across it once.

What are your reasons for considering the CT for your FJR?

Last edited by a moderator: