Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was on the LDRider list that Warchild mentioned taking someone's bike for a ride at Gerlach. Now I haven't seen anything since, was it someone's bike from here that he was taking? If you are reading this Dale, what were your thoughts after riding it?
Grady
I offered my bike for Dale to take for a familiarization ride on 447 on LDRider. Dale said that he would do so, but ended up driving to Gerlachfest to meet his carpooling needs. No gear, so no ride was taken. I doubt Dale is still subscribed to this thread. Art M. did take it for a very short ride. You could PM him. (Vectervp1) I tried to get Greg M. to try it as well, but he's a pussy. ;)

It's really not that different from a moto tire Grady. Do you really wheelie the FJR that much? You can scrape pegs with the CT just like you do with a moto tire. The steering is heavy, compared to a moto tire, but you get used to this quickly and it's really not an issue. The CT feels different when crossing lines/seams running with the road as you are feeling each edge, going on, then going off, rather than a single small tire print going across it once.

What are your reasons for considering the CT for your FJR?
So that's why he never posted a ride report.

Well, I usually ride a couple 1/4 mile wheelies through 3rd gear when I hit the pavement and then again at the first turn two miles later. Now before you get too upset at my hooligan antics on this bike, I only do that when I don't see any other cars which amounts to about 98% of the time. Not a lot of traffic on the roads out here. So I can tell the difference from a new tire to a well used tire, which does end up a bit flat spotted due to not spending enough time scraping the pegs which doesn't happen all that often anymore with an extended Wilbers shock to give a little more clearance. That's why I asked about how the car tire would do, I am guessing probably not too much worse than a seriously flat-spotted bike tire.

Anyway, I was looking at it to get a few more miles than the 4-5K that I usually see. The gravel roads I ride don't do anything to help out the mileage I'm sure.

If I could find a front tire to match maybe a set of Blizztec's would get me a few more days of riding here in Iowa.

Grady

That's why I asked about how the car tire would do, I am guessing probably not too much worse than a seriously flat-spotted bike tire.
Anyway, I was looking at it to get a few more miles than the 4-5K that I usually see. The gravel roads I ride don't do anything to help out the mileage I'm sure.
The sidewalls being different, the CT is rather better handling than a badly flat-spotted bike tire. Honestly, I'm not sure you would care for the CT. I generally tell people that wear out tires in 4-5k to stick with moto tires and consider some PR2s, at least on the back. But only you can make the decision. If you're flat-spotting the rear on the FJR because you don't see enough curves, the CT will give you significatly more miles with only minor handling changes, (IMHO). I'm going to leave the wheelie issue alone. I'm old fashioned, I believe both wheels should stay on the ground for motorcycles. <_<

The Blizzaks still don't really account for lean. In full snow, studs are the bomb. They suck on pavement though.

That's why I asked about how the car tire would do, I am guessing probably not too much worse than a seriously flat-spotted bike tire.
The sidewalls being different, the CT is rather better handling than a badly flat-spotted bike tire. Honestly, I'm not sure you would care for the CT. I generally tell people that wear out tires in 4-5k to stick with moto tires and consider some PR2s, at least on the back. But only you can make the decision. If you're flat-spotting the rear on the FJR because you don't see enough curves, the CT will give you significatly more miles with only minor handling changes, (IMHO). I'm going to leave the wheelie issue alone. I'm old fashioned, I believe both wheels should stay on the ground for motorcycles. <_<

The Blizzaks still don't really account for lean. In full snow, studs are the bomb. They suck on pavement though.

how the hell are you wearing out tires in only 4k miles and still getting flat spots in the middle? Are you doing burnouts? Riding for lunch on just the back tire, wheelying the whole way there and back :lol: . Good lord i thought i handled my bike rough, apparently i am just slacking off compared to some of you guys.

how the hell are you wearing out tires in only 4k miles and still getting flat spots in the middle? Are you doing burnouts? Riding for lunch on just the back tire, wheelying the whole way there and back :lol: . Good lord i thought i handled my bike rough, apparently i am just slacking off compared to some of you guys.

No, never done any burn outs. I think the 5 miles of gravel everyday with the tire spinning a large portion of the time is what probably does it. Well, it does see a bit of time on on the rear tire only.

Grady

how the hell are you wearing out tires in only 4k miles ... apparently i am just slacking off compared to some of you guys.
If one uses the 145/127 horsepower SuperSport-Touring motorcycle they paid $$$ for at anywhere near its potential? -- well then, tire mileage will suffer.

If not using what you bought? -- well then, maybe you bought too much...? :blink: :unsure:

@Carismatic- Smooth is fast. ;)

@Grady - If you like hanging the rear out on the gravel, the CT rocks at that. Much more control. I much prefer the CT in the gravel, hard pack or loose stuff of any kind. Deep ruts can be a challenge since the CT is the same width as the car tires that made the ruts, but overall, I've been very pleased with the CT on non-pavement.

went on a small 80 mile errand to fetch a tag o rama picture on my feej and after about 1000 mikes with my c/t im am totally huked! bahhhh phooey to those who doubt. i was dragging peg throwing my little fjr around like it was a street bike my tire is well scrubbed in and with the exception of the ocasional road groove that catches me off guard i dont even think about whats on the back rim im back focused where i should be on whats directly in front of me road and lots of it. Happy i made the switch

I'm going to leave the wheelie issue alone. I'm old fashioned, I believe both wheels should stay on the ground for motorcycles.

Have to disagree with ya a wee bit here if the front wheel cant manage to keep itself on the ground during acceleration by golly it should be in the air. Not to mention it usually scares the heck out of my unsuspecting freinds that think im riding a bagger.

Took a while to face the need and quench the desire, but the Darkside beckons too strongly. Besides, this thread needed a good bump. It's that good a thread.

After 8,000 miles, my Avon rear is shot. Best rear tire miles I've ever seen on the FJR, but 8,000 is STILL too few for this cheap old bastard, so the decision has been made....

Just ordered ONE OF THESE from TireRack.com. Been a Michelin Kool-Aid drinker for 40 years and have never been disappointed until I wore out a set of Pilot Powers on my FJR in less than 3000 miles but hey, they handled like a dream for about a month. :p

Clicky for biggy piccy:

There's a LOT to like about this tire. The $159 dollar price for starters. The 500 UTQG rating and 45,000 mile tread wear warranty is another. It's a "directional" tire so it's more "moto-friendly" and the very rounded profile to the sidewall is the kicker.

Frankenbike's sidelined until I get it mounted, plus I've gotta go back through 44 pages of posts to find a link to the forum member making and selling the Darkside Brake Caliper arm.

Plus, Eric, when I post up pics, I'll be needing an "official" FJR Darksider number. :D

'Howie

p.s.: Don't care if my balls fall off....they've been disconnected since '77. :finger:

Took a while to face the need and quench the desire, but the Darkside beckons too strongly. Besides, this thread needed a good bump. It's that good a thread.
After 8,000 miles, my Avon rear is shot. Best rear tire miles I've ever seen on the FJR, but 8,000 is STILL too few for this cheap old bastard, so the decision has been made....

Just ordered ONE OF THESE from TireRack.com. Been a Michelin Kool-Aid drinker for 40 years and have never been disappointed until I wore out a set of Pilot Powers on my FJR in less than 3000 miles but hey, they handled like a dream for about a month. :p

Clicky for biggy piccy:

There's a LOT to like about this tire. The $159 dollar price for starters. The 500 UTQG rating and 45,000 mile tread wear warranty is another. It's a "directional" tire so it's more "moto-friendly" and the very rounded profile to the sidewall is the kicker.

Frankenbike's sidelined until I get it mounted, plus I've gotta go back through 44 pages of posts to find a link to the forum member making and selling the Darkside Brake Caliper arm.

Plus, Eric, when I post up pics, I'll be needing an "official" FJR Darksider number. :D

'Howie

p.s.: Don't care if my balls fall off....they've been disconnected since '77. :finger:
I got 15k on my rear PR2 (definitely 80% slab riding), but can't compete with a CT fa sure... :clapping:

I hope Frankenbike won't rebel over such a mod as this... :rolleyes:

Carmine is the one making the brake arms if you want to just buy one. Might be found on Catfish's website at Farklemasters.com

I'll have to go through the thread and see if I can come up with some Darksider #s. There are some guys not on the forum, but they don't need numbers. ;)

Carmine is the one making the brake arms if you want to just buy one. Might be found on Catfish's website at Farklemasters.com
I'll have to go through the thread and see if I can come up with some Darksider #s. There are some guys not on the forum, but they don't need numbers. ;)
:thumbsupsmiley:

Oh......will I need to start packing cookies? If so, what do you recommend? :D

Here is my CT FJR w/ 10K miles on its Bridgestone Potenza Grid getting ready to participate in the Yank the Weenie Rally:

PB210011-1.jpg

BLASPHEMERS!!!
Yeah, they probably drink cat's blood as well.

They're evil I say.

:D
I am not so certain anymore, I used to think like Skooty and Wheatie, regarding anybody following "CULT OF ERIC - OCfjr"!!

But when you see guys whose judgement I trust, Doug and Howie-as well as many others, I'm starting to consider this mod!

Eric shared 1/2 hour with me up in Moscow, Idaho at WFO-8 explaining the process & results step by step. I was impressed!