Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man, I'm the one it seems who is the "not for everyone"
I admit I slab most of the time...the middle of my rear PR2 lasts 15k miles while the edges are more or less pristine

today I got a deal mentioned elsewhere for $218 and some change for a pair https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=130710

front goes in lower 20's k

I still can't rationalize it and still want (well wifey has them) to keep ma balls...
I admit, it's a good idea to purchase or make a CT sized brake arm and run with that along with a list of CT's one could purchase on the road in a tire emergency.

even with PR2's, there's something wrong with my bike...it just doesn't wanna turn

(PR2 with 15.3k miles)

4730877418_9bfb742c26.jpg

After I arrived in Oregon, I gave Eric a call so we could meet up somewhere. I got his voice mail so I waited for his call. When he called and suggested we meet up at a cool place near my daughters home, I was finally getting to meet Darksider #1. Of course we discussed what we should wear so we would be color coordinated and all. We met up at McMenmins Pub at Edgefield Manor. This place is really nice. Lots of drinking establishments to quench ones thirst. Saw there was a Bob Dylan concert coming in August, so I bought three tickets and will be returning to Troutdale in late August for that.

I wanted to mention, my ride to Oregon was my first ride as a Darksider. Most of the trip was pretty straight forward, but after I left Redding and started up I-5 through the mountains, I was a little nervous going around the corners. I will admit that I had a little fear the rear tire would kick out on me. It felt a little different. But after this minivan passed me, I figured I had better pick up the pace and "quote: learn to trust your tires", I picked up to 80-90 and the bike handled great. As Eric mentioned, it takes a little more effort to get the bike to respond, but once you get into it, the nervousness goes away and the bike doesn't handle any less confident than it did with my PRII on the back. Now, would I try to run with Fairlaner in the twisties with a CT on back? NO, but I can't run with him anyway. So, yes the CT does feel different at first. But it seems to handle as well under normal circumstances. I do want to point out that it is more noticeable at low speeds than at higher speeds.

All in all, my trip to Oregon was nice. My new Russell seat and my Rifle windshield made for a very pleasant trip. No saddle sores. Of course on my way home I took I-5 because my A/C took another dump and my wife was crying about the heat. Once I reached Redding the temp hovered around 104 most of the way south. It did cool some around Sacramento for a couple hundred miles, but once I reach Barstow and turned east on I-40, the temp seemed to climb one (1) degree each time I shifted gears. Most of the way home on I-40 it was 116 degrees until I crossed into Arizona, then it swiftly climbed to 122. When I pulled into my driveway, my thermometer read 122.8 degrees. The following morning I was watching the news out of Phoenix and they said Havasu broke a record at 129 degrees. So allow me to say, once it climbs above 105, its hot and that is just how it is. But once it gets above 115, you are insane for being on a bike. But once it surpasses 125 degrees, everything kind of mellows out and you just keep moving and don't think about it. We have a few motor officers here that patrol at 110 degrees and say they just don't think about it.

Eric (OCFJR) and Dan (Big-D) Don't we look way too friendly? Oh, it was really nice meeting you Eric. You picked a great spot!!

GuysinGreen.jpg

I have a 03 FJR with a trailer hitch from https://www.hitchusa.com/ Does anybody have any miles on there bike with a trailer? I do allot of scuba diving and take my bike & trailer allot. trailer about 75, scuba tank 40, tent, chairs, gear, cooler, total I would guess to be around 300 pounds. How does it tow with a car tire?

man, I'm the one it seems who is the "not for everyone"<snip>

I still can't rationalize it and still want (well wifey has them) to keep ma balls...
First off, let me say that we're ok with you not wanting to do it. Do what works best for you. That's sort of the point here.

Second, Duuude, 20k on the front and 15k on the rear PR2s? You ride like a pussy! Put some edge into it, eh?

;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@Duezzer - That's all 'ya got? We've heard it before.

@hammer - Not sure if anyone is running darkside with a trailer. It should work well. The extra weight of two up seems to just stabilize the bike even more. I suspect that effect will be similar with some tongue weight of a trailer. Probably really help tire life too, even with the trailer load.

@BigD - Great to meet you and your lovely daughter. A good time was had swapping stories. I hope I didn't bore her too much. You make a great point about going darkside. Since I put a car tire on my bike, I can't play piano any more. Oh wait, I couldn't do that before the car tire either!! :lol:

Well its to late to back out now. I ordered my tire yesterday. It should be by Monday but I have a little tire to rub off so It will a week or 2 before I get it on. Would like to get it on and broke in by the time before I go to Sturgis.

Well its to late to back out now. I ordered my tire yesterday. It should be by Monday but I have a little tire to rub off so It will a week or 2 before I get it on. Would like to get it on and broke in by the time before I go to Sturgis.
You should be able to get a feel for it and break it in running all the hills and twisties in Kansas. :lol:

Make sure you practice yer burnouts on them flat tires...I bet they make wicked burnouts!!!

You should be able to get a feel for it and break it in running all the hills and twisties in Kansas. :lol:

YEP......both of them :D

FYI, you can't going up then down the same hill as 2 hills.

How else do ya wear in both sides of the tire In Ks. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

English not language first yours? :rofl:

Or are your fingers dyslexic?

English not language first yours? :rofl:

Or are your fingers dyslexic?
Ha, ha: This is really great, we finally caught WheatonFJR "Posting While Intoxicated"! I know that Mark drinks, because he and Don Carver threw back a six pack of Kootenay beer with Papa Chuy at The Stanley Boys Camp Site in the Nakusp City Park, British Columbia, Canada in 2009. "...you can't going up then down..., this is priceless. Yo Los Hermanos, do they grow La Mota en Illinois, ese?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've completed a couple of trips on the FJR, and have about 500 miles of experience on the Darkside now. :assassin:

So far I'm fairly impressed with the car tire out in the twisty stuff. . .klickitat area fast sweepers were a lot of fun, even 2 up. However, the parking lot stuff, or making a turn from a stop on any kind of off camber road has caught me a couple times now. (Seems like the tire wants to flatten to the road surface, so in between stopped and say 10-15MPH the "feel" for the tire is still somewhat. . . unpredictable). Once you're rolling over 20MPH or so though it behaves quite predictably, but as OC and others have explained does take more turn in force and the transitions aren't quite as smooth as rolling a moto tire over through the angles.

I've been running the 31-32 PSI suggested by others for the 019 tire, and have been pondering taking the other route, of running it near or at max PSI, to see if that would stop or lessen the low speed issues. (My concern however, of running the tire at high PSI would be lack of tire warm up and potential grip issues).

Can anyone with experience running the car tire at/near max PSI chime in with experiences?

Does it avoid the low speed stability issues?

Do transitions feel smoother through corner angles?

Have you ever had a grip issue running high PSI in the car tire?

Thanks!

-Matt