Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:assassin:Add FJRzoom to the dark side.. 4000 miles on the 019 and see any reason to ever go back. I did a lot of added research and love it when an old fart on a Harley (I am 70) trys to tell me that it is so unsafe. I frist ask a question. "Do you know of or have you ever had anyone tell you they know of someone that crashed their bike due the use of a ct?" They say NO. And my answer is "you are telling me something that you know nothing about" The force is also with the dark side

:assassin:Add FJRzoom to the dark side.. 4000 miles on the 019 and see any reason to ever go back. I did a lot of added research and love it when an old fart on a Harley (I am 70) trys to tell me that it is so unsafe. I frist ask a question. "Do you know of or have you ever had anyone tell you they know of someone that crashed their bike due the use of a ct?" They say NO. And my answer is "you are telling me something that you know nothing about" The force is also with the dark side
Welcome to the Darkside FJRzoom. In this one the force is strong, yes. :good: It's nice to see a mature rider still willing to try something new to them. If you would like an official DS number, just post a pic to this forum and I'll add you to the FAQ listing and tell you your number.

If a puncture should occur, if a typical nail or something like that, repairing will be much simpler also. However, a flat caused by a valve stem failure or something that would require removal would be a bitch, especially if shops refused to repair and remount the tire.
An interesting point of view. One of the reasons I run aluminum valve stems is peace of mind. I also carry some cores and a tool in my flat repair kit. And in this particular case, I don't think Don would have issues in Mexico or farther South with liability issues. :lol:

I think it's been mentioned before but I thought I would chime in on this subject. I haven't had to try it out yet but if there was a problem with the CT on a trip and you couldn't find a shop to install a CT I wouldn't expect that you would have any problem with a shop removing a CT and installing a MT. Not the best solution but it would at least keep you on the road.

any one try a toyo extensa hp? any favorites starting to come out of this? I will be putting one on within the month and would appreciate any feedback

any one try a toyo extensa hp? any favorites starting to come out of this? I will be putting one on within the month and would appreciate any feedback
Only a couple of us have worn out a tire so far. Most any tire will wear evenly it seems, but some tires wear faster than others, just like bike tires. My Bridgestone Potenza 019G Grid tire lasted 37k and would have gone to 40k if I took it to the wear bars. It was the original benchmark. The Michelin Exalto AS that FJRONAMISSION discovered and tried first has proven to offer significant improvement in ease of turn in and "flickability" over the Bridgestone, new tire to new tire. I currently have the Exalto on and have just over 14k on the Exalto and it's wearing evenly and has had no problems.

After looking at the Toyo Extensa HP specs and info it looks like a potentially interesting tire. It does have a lower treadwear rating than I normally would prefer though, suggesting to me that it may wear faster than some of the other choices we have in use currently. The light weight and nice profile seem like desirable features for our darksiding.

In the end, someone just has to try it.

Only a couple of us have worn out a tire so far. Most any tire will wear evenly it seems, but some tires wear faster than others, just like bike tires. My Bridgestone Potenza 019G Grid tire lasted 37k and would have gone to 40k if I took it to the wear bars. It was the original benchmark. The Michelin Exalto AS that FJRONAMISSION discovered and tried first has proven to offer significant improvement in ease of turn in and "flickability" over the Bridgestone, new tire to new tire. I currently have the Exalto on and have just over 14k on the Exalto and it's wearing evenly and has had no problems.

After looking at the Toyo Extensa HP specs and info it looks like a potentially interesting tire. It does have a lower treadwear rating than I normally would prefer though, suggesting to me that it may wear faster than some of the other choices we have in use currently. The light weight and nice profile seem like desirable features for our darksiding.

In the end, someone just has to try it.
Price is about half of what the exalto is. At 83 dollars I think I can afford to be the gunni pig on this. Orderd the brake part from farkle master . Orderd the tire from treaddepot.com. 114 dollars with shipping and road hazzard. At that price I can afford to be the first. Read all the car owner reports and all were glowing. Guess we will see how well it dose on a bike.

Price is about half of what the exalto is. At 83 dollars I think I can afford to be the gunni pig on this. Orderd the brake part from farkle master . Orderd the tire from treaddepot.com. 114 dollars with shipping and road hazzard. At that price I can afford to be the first. Read all the car owner reports and all were glowing. Guess we will see how well it dose on a bike.
Great to hear, GuineaSpook! :p

You're doing exactly what everyone who goes Darksider needs to do...experiment with different brands and price ranges.

This kind of info is GOLD for us CTRetards. :)

Great to hear, GuineaSpook! :p

You're doing exactly what everyone who goes Darksider needs to do...experiment with different brands and price ranges.

This kind of info is GOLD for us CTRetards. :)
This will give you an idea what we are looking at.

toyo

<snip>This will give you an idea what we are looking at.

toyo
Spook

When you mount the Toyo and get some time on it you should go back to treadepot.com and add your review.

It would be interesting if they publish it. :devilsmiley:

Brodie

Any other tires y'all need testing, but haven't gotten to yet? A list of proven tires (and maybe names of who's run them), and ones that look promising but have yet to be tested would be nifty.

The PR2 on the rear is doing okay, but it will probably wear out by the end of the year...early January, maybe. I may switch it out before then if it continues to become less "round".

My only requirement being it's a tire that does well in the rain. I can't give up my wet weather fun.

Any other tires y'all need testing, but haven't gotten to yet? A list of proven tires (and maybe names of who's run them), and ones that look promising but have yet to be tested would be nifty.
The PR2 on the rear is doing okay, but it will probably wear out by the end of the year...early January, maybe. I may switch it out before then if it continues to become less "round".

My only requirement being it's a tire that does well in the rain. I can't give up my wet weather fun.
The FAQ lists all the known tires in use.

New tires are constantly coming out. The FAQ also talks about what I personally looked for in a tire for moto use. My choices have fit those parameters, but not everyone's has. So far, no real problems from alternate choices. There are subtleties involved. The worn BT 019G had turn in as good as the new Exalto. The BT was only $125 new, the Exalto more $$. After the Exalto I will probably try something else, just to broaden the info base. We are learning. All help in adding info is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

New tires are constantly coming out. The FAQ also talks about what I personally looked for in a tire for moto use. My choices have fit those parameters, but not everyone's has. So far, no real problems from alternate choices. There are subtleties involved. The worn BT 019G had turn in as good as the new Exalto. The BT was only $125 new, the Exalto more $$. After the Exalto I will probably try something else, just to broaden the info base. We are learning. All help in adding info is welcome.
Yeah...silly me. I ask questions and then search for the answers. Sorry. :unsure: I found the FAQ on the first page and have been going through it since. Just saw the last of tires tried all ready. Thanks for the heads up! I'll use the recommended tire size to search through and find a different tire to try out.

You know, if someone manages to get enough CT guys together to purchase the same tire...a 4 tires for the price of 3 deal could be had to lower costs even more. ;)

Yeah...silly me. I ask questions and then search for the answers. Sorry. :unsure: I found the FAQ on the first page and have been going through it since. Just saw the last of tires tried all ready. Thanks for the heads up! I'll use the recommended tire size to search through and find a different tire to try out.

You know, if someone manages to get enough CT guys together to purchase the same tire...a 4 tires for the price of 3 deal could be had to lower costs even more. ;)
One person would have to handle the logistics of reshipping.

One person would have to handle the logistics of reshipping.
That could happen, especially if planned around a meetup of some sort.

Anyway...I found this tire. Yokohama AVID ENVigor. Price isn't too bad, and it seems to have good ratings. I'll give it a go when time for a rear tire change.

When my PR2 wears out (next year), I will try a CT..... will keep monitoring this and the FAQ to see which gives the best turn-in... looks like the Exalto so far?

Any issues with the harder compounds of Michelin, any fear of slippage either dry or riding in the wet while leaned over (not excessively of course)?

Of those considered wearing faster, wouldn't that be a good thing to round off the profile a bit? I mean this thing is still going to last 3 times as long as a MC tire......

Good on ya Spook! I was looking at that tire but went the way of the majority at the time..

Keep us posted.

As for the post about wet traction? My experience to this point is it's superior. Plus you'd better be laying on that tank in the dry if ya grab the throttle from a dead standstill. That damned tank will really damage the jewels! :dribble:

:jester:

Well it took some doing but I’m on the road with my new ct (019 Grid). The handling is a little strange but after about 20 miles it just becomes a handling characteristic to be exploited. The biggest problem was getting the ct mounted on a moto rim. I finally discovered the right thing to say when the subject of liability came up, and the magic words are: “How about I pay cash and I was never here”, it cost $30.00 which included a 90 degree all metal valve stem but worth it at that point.

OK Eric here are my pictures, can I please have a darkside number? ... Thanks, Poorbob

height%20difference.JPG

about 1/2" difference in height - moto at 40 psi, ct at 32 psi

rear%20shot%20mounted.JPG

side%20view.JPG

closeup.JPG

caliper%20brace.JPG

Temporary caliper brace

road%20ready.JPG

On the road

Sorry about the small pictures, I searched and did what it said and this is what I got. Will do better next time I hope!