Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my PR2 wears out (next year), I will try a CT..... will keep monitoring this and the FAQ to see which gives the best turn-in... looks like the Exalto so far? Any issues with the harder compounds of Michelin, any fear of slippage either dry or riding in the wet while leaned over (not excessively of course)?

Of those considered wearing faster, wouldn't that be a good thing to round off the profile a bit? I mean this thing is still going to last 3 times as long as a MC tire......
I should get it sometime next week. Since this is about saveing money thought I would try a inexpensive one read cheap. If it track and rides well even at 30k per change it will pay for a lot of front tires.

Man this "Darkside' thing is contagious.... Welcome fellow darksiders! Though not a lot of miles yet- just under 3k, I must admit to no regrets yet :) ..

:jester:

L&S - I think we all look forward to your review of a new to us tire choice. Go for it. :) You too Spook! :good:

Welcome to the Darkside Poorbob, you are officially Darksider #33, so noted in the FAQ.

Yzerman19 - No one has noted any slippage issues. Even the dual compound Michelin Pilot A/S that has harder compound on the outsides of the tire has done very well. The increase in tread blocks seems to work in our favor, even at peg scraping levels. I had been concerned that a hooligan could overwhelm the CT at high lean angles and with serious throttle inputs, but FJRONAMISSION seems to have proven that to be an idle concern. I myself have scraped pegs in the dry at stupid fast levels in corners, (55 in a posted 25), with no noticeable issues other than minor soiling of my pants when I looked at the speedo. :unsure:

I myself have scraped pegs in the dry at stupid fast levels in corners, (55 in a posted 25), with no noticeable issues other than minor soiling of my pants when I looked at the speedo. :unsure:
Damn Eric.. You do that anyways due to advanced age.

Good to have an excuse though ain't it? :lol:

I myself have scraped pegs in the dry at stupid fast levels in corners, (55 in a posted 25), with no noticeable issues other than minor soiling of my pants when I looked at the speedo. :unsure:
Damn Eric.. You do that anyways due to advanced age.

Good to have an excuse though ain't it? :lol:

Makes me wonder how well the LD Comfort shorts perform - keeping you dry - in that situation? :blink:

Brodie

Got back from the left coast yesterday. 8700 miles on the Pilot A/S. 7/10 tread left (10/10 when new).

Found some great new (to me) goat paths south of Yosemite! Ian, Iowa

Shit, I just figured I do 24k mi/year, and that doesnt account for an annual BIG trip. I don't like the RP 2's, and seeing as I will be getting 6-8k on a set of tires........

vader.gif

[SIZE=8pt]I Be Darksiding (I guess)[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit, I just figured I do 24k mi/year, and that doesnt account for an annual BIG trip. I don't like the RP 2's, and seeing as I will be getting 6-8k on a set of tires........
vader.gif

[SIZE=8pt]I Be Darksiding (I guess)[/SIZE]
I think I am a little more "ham fisted" than I should be. But WTF, I'll be 70 next year.

I only got a little over 16,000 on the last rear-Yokohama with 2/32 showing and down to the wear bars-probably a couple of thousand miles left. Still, think about it, I can make two 8-10,000 mile trips before buying a rear tire-saves a lot of time! The cool thing is after a while, I don't even think about the CT.

BTW, got a front tire (after 5,000 miles) in Sacramento, CA at the PowerSports Dealer (I'll check the bill if necc.). Great service, great price-$150, nice people. Ian, Iowa

So I am now dark side cold as hell this morning 36 degrees and sleet. My guy Put new tire on and rode home in the rain/sleet. Side wall probably stiff due to the cold an little harder steer in but acceptable. Ran my rode home with some nice corners at just a slightly reduced speed due to the weather. Will see how it is in the twisty s tomorrow when it is warmer

0915101806.jpg

DSCN1183.jpg

DSCN1184.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

I think this is going to work out

Oh I'm plenty pissed.. No my balls didn't fall off, but I might have been happier if they did.

Last week I connected with a pretty large pothole while riding a new road. Speed was may 35 mph when I seen the damned thing but didn't have an option but to unload the front and ride through.. It hit pretty hard going through enough to lift me off the seat a little.

Anyway I stopped and did a quick look see and didn't see anything that looked bad.

Well Sunday before the guys headed out I offered up my Darkside scoot for a test ride. As I was looking over things I noticed a large bulge in the left side sidewall..

Mother fecker! Yeah I'm pretty sure I broke a belt or whatever the hell ya wanna call it.

damnit003.jpg

damnit006.jpg

I know crappy pictures but My camera blows goats. It runs from the tread area clear up to the rim about an inch wide an 1/4" tall.

I don't know if this might be a warranty covered issue but Highly unlikely.Didn't get road hazzard as It's a car tire on a bike and really didn't see the need.

I had a new vibration at around 60 but figured that was due to the loss of a tape on weight that I was going to remedy today when my buddy with the balancer got home..

I'm not going to replace the damned thing as it's late enough in the year and the money is tight right now.. As my commute is short (3 miles) and speed can be kept 30/ 40mph..

My feelings after looking at this? I think the car tire might have actually saved my rim from damage..

For sure that sucks to have happen.. on a car tire no less.

Seen folks ride on tires for quite a while with a knot on the side,

can't see the bike being near heavy enough to cause more damage...

....unless you find another pothole to smack.

Be careful with it...you never know.

Real Bummer it happened to you Barry, I wouldn't continue to ride on it myself. Of course, as soon as I post this, that dickwad SkooterG will come on here and tell you to go ahead and put another 33,000 miles on it. Just doesn't look safe to me! jes' sayin'

Real Bummer it happened to you Barry, I wouldn't continue to ride on it myself. Of course, as soon as I post this, that dickwad SkooterG will come on here and tell you to go ahead and put another 33,000 miles on it. Just doesn't look safe to me! jes' sayin'
Might not be safe a the higher speeds Don. Hell I dunno, uncharted territory.. Going to keep it under thirty for now.

An Scooty rides no teeth, hairy, fat carnival girls for fun.. How the hell is that safe?