Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly though, the tire feels really good. I now have about 5400 miles on the tire and it still looks brand new. And unlike another Darksider that I need not mention their name, I do my utmost to avoid pallets, ladders, boulders and other objects that may cause severe damage to a tire of any type.

Big-D
Really, that guy must be a real dork.... I think we should tease him unmercifully.

:jester:

Really, that guy must be a real dork.... I think we should tease him unmercifully.

And that would be different from our normal practice how? :rolleyes:

When you hold the speed steady as the weave starts, the amplitude does not increase, but I don't have the balls to investigate what happens if I push it a bit more.
And sometimes that's a really smart thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
RadioHowie you explain it so well. :lol:
It's easy. I've got cats. Four of 'em.

Talking to Bust is like talking to cats. You know they hear ya....but the ain't got an effin' clue what yer sayin'.

But ya still love the little furry bastards anyways, no matter how stoopid they are. :rofl:
Ah ya fuker... Now I unnerstand.

Don't think me tire is going to be subjected to anything close to terminal velocity..At least not the current bulging bastage.

I really wanted to dragstrip test the bitch and still might but, It will be on a roadsmart tire that Extememarine has offered.

Next season when the new CT is installed well hit the 1/4 mile and see if it holds true.

Dink.

:wub:

Bustanut joker, Doofus Boy owns four cats and he is calling you stupid? Whoa, Nellie!

RadioHowie you explain it so well. :lol:
It's easy. I've got cats. Four of 'em.

Talking to Bust is like talking to cats. You know they hear ya....but the ain't got an effin' clue what yer sayin'.

But ya still love the little furry bastards anyways, no matter how stoopid they are. :rofl:
Ah ya fuker... Now I unnerstand.

Don't think me tire is going to be subjected to anything close to terminal velocity..At least not the current bulging bastage.

I really wanted to dragstrip test the bitch and still might but, It will be on a roadsmart tire that Extememarine has offered.

Next season when the new CT is installed well hit the 1/4 mile and see if it holds true.

Dink.

:wub:

Bustanut joker, Doofus Boy owns four cats and he is calling you stupid? Whoa, Nellie!
If you knew shit from shinola, you'd know you NEVER own cats. You feed 'em, you clean up their shit, you replace furniture they've ruined, but you NEVER own them. :****:

If you knew shit from shinola, you'd know you NEVER own cats. You feed 'em, you clean up their shit, you replace furniture they've ruined, but you NEVER own them. :****:

CATS DON'T HAVE OWNERS...THEY HAVE "STAFF"!

CATS DON'T HAVE OWNERS...THEY HAVE "STAFF"!

So true, our tabby cat Gary thinks he rules the roost around here. Thank God, he despises other cats; so we are only blessed with one of the furry little bastards around here!

Back from SW-FOG. My Dark Side Michelin now at 5000 miles. Current tread depth is 6/32 over the wear bars. Started at 8/32 over the wear bars.

Lots of miles left to do. The BIG QUESTION is, will I last?

Longrider

Don't mean to get away from talking about cats, but those writing about speed or lack there of, when installing a car tire. I hope they are using a GPS to figure their speed, because the larger CT will actually register less MPH because the circumference of the CT is larger than a M/C tire, there seeming to throw off your speedometer when in actuality it is making your speedometer more accurate. I looked for how your speed was measured and could not find anything.

Don't mean to get away from talking about cats, but those writing about speed or lack there of, when installing a car tire. I hope they are using a GPS to figure their speed, because the larger CT will actually register less MPH because the circumference of the CT is larger than a M/C tire, there seeming to throw off your speedometer when in actuality it is making your speedometer more accurate. I looked for how your speed was measured and could not find anything.
Hey Dan..

Shut the fuk up!

Kisses,

I have verified my speedo and odo Vs GPS several times, as have various rally masters against their measured odo verification routes. I usually have the most accurate odo. With the 019G my odo was exactly on when new. As it wore down, I gradually got farther off from actual, but never as much as with the stock moto tire. The new Michilen is slightly off, IIRC, about .2 miles in 24 covered.

The FJR has a speed sensor off the back of the engine on Gen I bikes. I think that means a trans pick up. FredW, you watching out there? Do you remember how the bikes get speed to the gauge cluster? Just ECU for the Gen II?

The FJR has a speed sensor off the back of the engine on Gen I bikes. I think that means a trans pick up. FredW, you watching out there? Do you remember how the bikes get speed to the gauge cluster? Just ECU for the Gen II?
As you said, the 1st Gens have a dedicated speed sensor on the drive output after the transmission. 2nd Gens use a signal from the ABS ECU derived from the ABS tone ring (wheel sensor) on the rear wheel. Why they did not use the front wheel is a mystery, since that would actually be a better representation of actual distance (no slip under acceleration) but it is the rear wheel sensor that the engineers chose.

Thanks FredW, I appreciate you're input and excellent info! :good:

If I understand it correctly, this should mean that both Gens will benefit from a CT's larger diameter, in that it will tend to place the speedo closer to actual. All FJRs read slightly faster than actual with the std moto tire size.

Put on another 200 plus miles on the Toyo yesterday. Still no disappointment in any aspect of performance. One thing on the plus note people riding behind me are no longer being shotgunned by flying particles picked up by the tire. Lots of curves and some slab. Did notice a little tracing of lines in the concreate on the slab but nothing bad enough to bother me.

Thanks FredW, I appreciate you're input and excellent info! :good:

If I understand it correctly, this should mean that both Gens will benefit from a CT's larger diameter, in that it will tend to place the speedo closer to actual. All FJRs read slightly faster than actual with the std moto tire size.
If the chosen CT is larger in circumference, then yes. And, as I believe we have previously discussed in the past, it should also cause the odometer to read lower than actual. The odometer uses the same speed signals and is generally pretty darn close to correct with the stock tire size.