Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I have mine on now and made my own brake stay out of flat bar aluminum. Here is a pic of the tire: https://ow.ly/i/4fz3/original

It is currently at 35psi and I can say that I will be letting some air out because I feel some of the same stuff that Bungie was talking about. I'm going on a couple rides this weekend and I'll try it at 30 to see if it rides different.

I have some of the flat bar aluminum left over, if someone is interested in one of the modified brake stays I have enough to make 2-3 more.
I'm interested in one How much do you want to sell it for?

GaryK
How about $10 plus shipping?

Also, after taking out 5psi I can barely even tell the difference especially in the curves. Going on a longer ride tomorrow so we'll see after a few hundred miles of twisties ;)

Ok, I have mine on now and made my own brake stay out of flat bar aluminum. Here is a pic of the tire: https://ow.ly/i/4fz3/original

It is currently at 35psi and I can say that I will be letting some air out because I feel some of the same stuff that Bungie was talking about. I'm going on a couple rides this weekend and I'll try it at 30 to see if it rides different.

I have some of the flat bar aluminum left over, if someone is interested in one of the modified brake stays I have enough to make 2-3 more.
I would also like to be added to the darksider list please :)

I'm interested in one How much do you want to sell it for?

GaryK
How about $10 plus shipping?

Also, after taking out 5psi I can barely even tell the difference especially in the curves. Going on a longer ride tomorrow so we'll see after a few hundred miles of twisties ;)
Deal. PM me your address and an amount. I'll send you a check. You can mail the part when the check clears.

FJR%20with%20sidecar.jpg

Now this is darkside, side, front and rear. If I can track down where to get that front fender and wheel, I might just be dumb enough to try this (without the side hack).

FJR%20with%20sidecar.jpg

Now this is darkside, side, front and rear. If I can track down where to get that front fender and wheel, I might just be dumb enough to try this (without the side hack).
It's more than just a front fender and wheel, it's a whole new front end. And after you see it up close, you probably won't be tempted to try and ride it sans sidecar! Extensodive

I went on a trip last weekend with the wife to Oklahoma city and noticed a little rear tire rubbage on the inner black finder plastic (up top) so I adugusted the shock to the hard side and run up the clicker on the stock shock but it still rubs. I weigh 160 the wife around 170sh and tongue weight on the trailer is about 20 lbs. My bike is lowered 1 inch because I am height impaired so with the car tire and a fully loaded bike I will need to get a better aftermarket shock for the rear other than that I love the car tire and have put allot of miles on it.

Apologies for my absence. Kirrilian has been added to the DarkSider FAQ as #35. Welcome.

@Hammer, the extra weight of the car tire makes the shock work a little harder. Two up, I would expect you to always be on 'Hard" with the stock shock. I used to use Hard most of the time, and had to in the twisties or I started scraping hard parts. With a good shock and proper spring weight for my weight and riding needs, it's no problem. With the trailer, I'd expect things to only add to the stress on the stock shock. Even though the tongue weight isn't bad, it's the extra leverage and movement of the trailer that's also working the shock, (imho).

You might give GP Suspension a call and talk over your needs to find out what they can do for you.

@Hammer, the extra weight of the car tire makes the shock work a little harder.
I was reminded of this issue, recently, when I happened to notice (again) the pains Yamaha tried to adhere to in controlling un-sprung weight -- when I saw the specially lightened/dimpled bolts holding on my FJR's front brake calipers.

Not trying to start anything -- just a reminder (also) of the un-sprung weight issue... :huh:

@Hammer, the extra weight of the car tire makes the shock work a little harder.
I was reminded of this issue, recently, when I happened to notice (again) the pains Yamaha tried to adhere to in controlling un-sprung weight -- when I saw the specially lightened/dimpled bolts holding on my FJR's front brake calipers.

Not trying to start anything -- just a reminder (also) of the un-sprung weight issue... :huh:
A valid point. When shopping for CTs, pay attention to the weight too. Some are much heavier than others, but that shouldn't be your sole deciding factor either.

Less un-sprung weight is nearly always a good thing. But life is about compromises. When I had GP rebuild my aftermarket shock last time, the extra weight of the CT was part of the equation, along with rider weight, loads I carry, how I ride, etc.

Oh, and those caliper bolts are probably just parts bin items designed for the R-1. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody put a CT on a Wee? ;) Ian, Iowa

Just kidding, the Wee is supposed to get 10,000 plus out of the rear tire which is enough for my trips. We'll see how well I do. Ian, Iowa

The next time you're going down the road with the front wheel lofted in the air for miles at a time and your indicated speed hasn't dropped to zero, you'll be glad they chose the rear wheel.

Yeah, I don't do that either. :)
Of course not. You have a bike with an automatic transmission and a shaft drive!! :p

The flip side would be the guys racking up all those extra miles when they do burn-outs... :eek:
I know a lot of time has passed, but I just figured I should correct this in case people come along later and get the wrong idea.

1. Plenty of people on this forum have reported that the FJR (A and AE alike) are perfectly capable of wheelies.

2. The AE doesn't have an automatic transmission. Probably just a slip of the keyboard, but I thought it was worth correcting. :)

More on topic to the thread, I seem to be averaging just under 15K miles a year, so the CT may not be as necessary for me as it is for others, but I'm still very intrigued by it. If my mileage increases significantly, I won't hesitate to climb aboard.

Thanks to Mattster, who let me try out his bike with Michelin Exalto A/S fitted. It was a short ride on some local sweepers, but enough to give me a second impression from riding Bust's. The Exalto seems a little better and I don't think it will take too much to have the handling become second nature in a short time.

I have an Exalto on order, picking it up Tuesday...... you can put me on the list!! I will run this thing for a year and post back with my comments.

Good to hear Ray!

Gonna replace the bulging bugger soon. Exalto will replace it.

:jester:
Just out of curiosity, since it is Halloween: Do you Satanic Cat Blood Drinking Car Tire Guys do anything special to celebrate Halloween? Since you CT Compadres are part of a Bizarre Obscure Cult, do you guys ride to a graveyard at midnight and sacrifice a virgin sheep during A Brotherhood of the Square Tires Ritual? Perhaps Druid Crypt Dancing? Inquiring Minds Want To Know!!!

Pretty much the same thing every year for the last few.

Some of us dress up as you and Howie and chase old lady's around the nursing home..Others just go out and tip livestock.

:jester:

Just out of curiosity, since it is Halloween: Do you Satanic Cat Blood Drinking Car Tire Guys do anything special to celebrate Halloween? Since you CT Compadres are part of a Bizarre Obscure Cult, do you guys ride to a graveyard at midnight and sacrifice a virgin sheep during A Brotherhood of the Square Tires Ritual? Perhaps Druid Crypt Dancing? Inquiring Minds Want To Know!!!
Don, you're not in the Cabal, so you don't get an invite. We don't drink cat blood, as I've explained in the past. All I can say is that we get together with the graduating class from the Jenny McCarthy School of Chrome Removal and party.