Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd -

Just a couple of insignificant data points, since others have pretty much covered the subject.

First, congrats on being willing to give it a try!

I've been running CTs (run flat) on my Wingabago for several years, so I didn't have a mental roadblock when it came to the FJR. I was prepared for the (relatively minor) differences in handling.

After reading the suggestions here and getting a replacement for the rear brake stay, I took the plunge and bought a Yokohama Avid Envigor.

Planning on adjusting the pressure downward a pound or two at a time, I set it at 36 psi and backed out of the driveway.

My first reaction was "OMFG, what have I done??!?" It was like trying to steer a steamroller. Ugh.

After a couple blocks I dropped the pressure to 34 psi. A marked improvement!

A ride of several miles with some slolum moves to scrub it in and I was feeling better about my choice.

The next day I dropped it to 32 and a smile came to my face.

You'll need to experiment to find your "sweet spot".

Enjoy the experiment!

Last edited by a moderator:
Add me to the darkside tally. I will likely try a double dark front tire here soon. Stay tuned.
Welcome to the Darkside. PM or post a picture of your bike with the CT installed and I'll put you on the list with a number. We've sort of fallen off on the initiations after all the err.. trouble, from the last one. Some of the girls from the House of Hoes got into it with the graduating class of the Jenny McCarthy School of Chrome Removal, (JMSCR), and it was worse that the HA and Gypsy Jokers battling it out.

{Google Search may be the best contribution California has ever made to Western Civilization.}

I use that tire in a different size on my Smart car. I get~30k from them, but its a staggered fitment, so should do better on the feej.

I use that tire in a different size on my Smart car. I get~30k from them, but its a staggered fitment, so should do better on the feej.
30 + 30 = 60K

AWESOME!

That's what I get for posting from a phone with only 3G service.
fool.gif

Welcome to the Darkside playinatwork, you are Darksider #90 and have been entered on the list in the Darkside FAQ as such. I hope the CT works well for you and please feel free to share your experiences with the CT on your FJR to help others explore and learn. :thumbsup:

After darksiding on an exalto for 30+k, last year I went back to a mc tire. I was hoping to make it last until I got back from Red Lodge but not gonna happen. The General will be delivered tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif

After darksiding on an exalto for 30+k, last year I went back to a mc tire. I was hoping to make it last until I got back from Red Lodge but not gonna happen. The General will be delivered tomorrow.
rolleyes.gif
Yeah, I DarkSided for about 3 yrs but got a heck of a deal on a Michelin PP2CT so for now I'm back on a m/c tire.

Plus I picked up a spare complete rear wheel- right place at the right time for the right price- that came with a nearly new PR2. And I got a new Exalto. So the plan is: remove the PR2 and maybe sell it. Install the Exalto. Ride the mtn trips with the PP2CT, ride the flat & straight coastal trips with the c/t. The whole shebang set me back a whopping $270, delivered.

I hear you rbrntnail - I scored a FJR wheel complete except the rotor for a smokin' price, then bought a Chinese brake rotor and had some bolts laying around. Working on fitting it to the Super Tenere with hopefully minor mods to the brake caliper bracket so I can swap back and forth. And you know... the Feej wheel will get a CT on it after I wear out the funny round tire on there now. Made by some company called Metzler.
uhoh.gif
Not trusting that for too long! One of them "off brand" tires.
winksmiley02.gif

Any of my darksiding brethern using balancing beads instead of weights? If so, how much are you using? 2 oz., 3 oz.?

I see m/c tires require 1 oz., but they don't list how much for a regular car tire.

Never used the beads before, but I'm getting tired of spinning the c/t on the rim to try to optimize the balancing prior to putting on weights.

I used beads in the General and they seemed to work just fine. I had about 2 1/2 ounces that I recycled from customers tires so I dumped them in.

Nah, never tried the beads. My local Honda dealer does tires for $25 bottom line (went up $2 this yr
yeaahh.gif
), whether you buy the tire from him or not. Just show up with wheel $ tire in hand, including a c/t. At the rate I change c/t's I never saw any reason to have my own setup. It would take me something like 97.2846579513 yrs to realize my payback.