Goodbye to the Forum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...There is no comparison for power, speed, suspension,braking or handling, or weight for that matter...
...or price or the number of conveniently located dealers. Come to think of it, there's no comparison at all because one is a very expensive sport bike and one is a reasonably-priced sport-tourer :blink: HELLO?!?!!

Good luck with the new bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
After almost three years as a memeber of the FJR forum I am saying goodbye. Two weeks ago I traded my 2005 FJR (the Fast Blue FJR) for a 2006 BMW K1200S. There is no comparison for power, speed, suspension,braking or handling, or weight for that matter. I was never happy with the top heavy feel of the FJR and the excesss weight. As far as comfort, I never changed the basic set-up- seat, windshield, bar risers etc. The bike was comfortable from the start. The BMW is comfortable as well, it has a slightly forward riding position, but it feels good. It also has heated grips, a factory Garmin GPS, gear indicator, totally adjustable suspesion- including basic adjustment while riding as well as 167 HP. I'm happy! The FJR was a good bike, and I enjoyed the three years that I owned it; and I have greatly enjoyed being a member of the forum almost from Day One in June 2005.
All My Best to All

Tim Massey

Camden Maine
It sounds to me like you've found the bike that makes your knees wobble and your heart go "pitty-pat". That's a good thing! Enjoy it and the riding season.

Brother Tim,

Have fun and rack up the miles with your K1200S, it is a great machine! Even though I've owned BMW's for forty years, I have two in the garage as we speak and a third new one is arriving in October, I still fully believe that my Yamaha FJR 1300 is the best all around road bike that I have ever owned since I started riding the street in 1963. It does everything well!

What I love about the FJR Forum is the camaraderie that we have here! I'm BMWMOA number 24810 and I joined BMW Motorcycle Owners of America in the 70's. I'm seeing here the same good times and laughter that I saw in MOA in the eighties. I'll be in Gillette and Guadalajara for the two big BMW Rallies of 2008, but I will also be at NAFO with FJR friends.

Tim, you really don't have to leave our forum and consider staying. In a lifetime of riding: It's the people, not the brand!

Regards, Don

I only ruled out the BMW because it cost more, and did not have the large dealer network that Yamaha has. That and the salesman at my local BMW dealer was snooty to me, so, they lose.Have fun and keep the rubber side down
My sentiments exactly. Ya' know, I have gone into the one and only BMW dealer in my area on a couple of occasions & got the same snootness each time. You should've saw the look on the face of the guy at the part counter when I was ordering BMW sport grips for my Yamaha.

Good luck w/ your new bike. Don't let the drive shaft hit you in the butt on the way out.

Ooh crap! Did I say that out loud? Hehehe... just joking, seriously. Good luck w/ the new bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I was at the dealer sitting on an all black k1200 s just yesterday. It is a sweet bike. I have to say, that is very sexy looking as well as a hell of a machine.

If I had the money, i would buy one, but it's not an FJR to me. Just different bikes, that suite different needs.

Enjoy, post some pics on the ride reports!

... That and the salesman at my local BMW dealer was snooty to me, so, they lose.
KM
"BMW" and "snooty" in the same sentence???

Now, that I find shocking.

:D

Actually, the guys at Calmoto BMW in Mountain View, CA are top notch. Never got any attitude from them.

When your trans or final drive blows, enjoy. Been there with BMW's and thats why I am not purchasing another.

And don't practice slow-speed maneuvers on it. Our local cops ride Beemers, but they bust out the old Kawi's when they practice cone work, for the durability of the wet clutches....

Enjoy your new ride.

They have soul

I went the opposite way.

The cost of ownership, lack of dealer support, and the final drive issues were enough for me to change and never look back.

Nothing like being told that the part you need is in germany and will take a month to get here.

Tim, you really don't have to leave our forum and consider staying. In a lifetime of riding: It's the people, not the brand!
Regards, Don
Have to agree on this one. I have never had the pleasure of owning an FJR but have many friends that do and I have always been welcomed by the forum members here. Don't matter what flavor you favor... it's more about the people so stick around! :)

Need to help out those "poor" BMW dealers here. ;)

The dealer I worked with here in Seattle was always great. No snootiness, great service department, never met anyone who I didn't thoroughly enjoy dealing with. Does it come at a price? Sure. But I'm willing to pay extra for good service. Hardest time I had when buying my new FJR was finding a dealer that was able to meet that standard I had gotten used to. Happy to say I did, and I absolutely LOVE my new FJR.

(My Beemer was an R-bike, so I won't even try comparing the two.)

Hope you enjoy the BMW. I had a R1100Rt and loved it and I'd kill for a new GS but lack of dealers (300 mile round trip for me) and cost of upkeep is keeping me off another one. That said I think they are great bikes.

Gary

Good Luck with he new bike. I do rides with the local BMW club here. Nice bunch of people.

Have fun with the K, they are a sweet ride. I ride with the BMWRSM guys down here in southern Maine, great bunch of folks. They know their machines, ATGATT, and we go all over the place. Look us up if you're in the area.

I myself have a 2005 Fjr and joined this forum because of that. I still have the fjr (will for a long while) but even if i got rid of it i would not leave the forum as i have met and made a lot and i mean a LOT of friends here, friends that would still be friends no mater what i was riding ( at least i hope so).
Shyeah, right. Ever since I swapped the scrapped feej for an FZ, I get no respect 'round here. All my "friends" make me ride in the back now. They pretend they're not with me when we stop for gas. At lunch, I have to sit at another table. My message box stays empty.

Snooty FJR bastards.

I'm not leaving, though.

I am, however, considering substance abuse. Pass the doobie.