GoPro HD Hero Camera - Helmet Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of treading over the line and into the doghouse by purchasing ANOTHER item before my Kali trip.

I'm thinking of buying a GoPro Camera for the Kali trip. My windshield is usually dirty though, so shooting through the windshield doesn't work for me.

1. Has anyone here used a GoPro camera mounted to their helmet?

2. If so, were you satisfied with the photo/movie results?

3. Was the helmet mounting system secure?

4. Was it awkward having that on the side of your head all day? Neck strain?

I don't want the cold shoulder before the big trip if it is for something that won't work well anyway in the way I envision using it...

1) Yes

2) See for yourself:

BTW - I had the original GoPro before I got the HD version. Video and sound quality are both a huge improvement. The old GoPro pretty much only recorded deafening wind noise at any speed above about 15mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhere recently I saw they came out with a new camera back that clips onto the back of the existing camera body. I think it has an extended battery and better camera controls, viewer etc. Apparently the new back makes the camera much more functional.

I am looking at adding the Kodak Zx3 playsport camcorder to my ride. If and when I pull the trigger I will post up some short vid's. Cant beet the price with 1080P HD video.

Dave

I like mine, but I wish the battery lasted longer. It's worth having one for those rides and destinations you want to remember.

Me too considering buying one of these, maybe we could get a discont price if we buy a large quantity......

GoPro HD is a great Cam with any mount option.

They have a new battery pack that extends film time. It does not change any function or control of the camera. The other new option, which I'm jumping on, is the LCD viewing screen that snaps on the back. It allows the camera to work more like a traditional digital camera so you can see what's being filmed from behind the camera. No more standing in front of the camera waiting to see the red light flash. Like the battery pak, the LCD does not give any different control functions.

I have an extra battery pack for mine so I can still run extended time and still attach the LCD to the back of the cam. In dry conditions, you can use the skeletonized housing and connect a USB cable to run off your battery, too.

There are some good deals floating around for the Motorsports edition (which you want) and I've heard of them going for as low as $219, more regularly around $229. LCD attachments are about $79.

Last edited by a moderator:
GoPro HD is a great Cam with any mount option.

They have a new battery pack that extends film time. It does not change any function or control of the camera. The other new option, which I'm jumping on, is the LCD viewing screen that snaps on the back. It allows the camera to work more like a traditional digital camera so you can see what's being filmed from behind the camera. No more standing in front of the camera waiting to see the red light flash. Like the battery pak, the LCD does not give any different control functions.

I have an extra battery pack for mine so I can still run extended time and still attach the LCD to the back of the cam. In dry conditions, you can use the skeletonized housing and connect a USB cable to run off your battery, too.

There are some good deals floating around for the Motorsports edition (which you want) and I've heard of them going for as low as $219, more regularly around $229. LCD attachments are about $79.

Thanks Tree Doc. What places/websites might have those deals? Amazon? Ebay?

Nah...they were online shops. lemme dig. Some guys were just talking about it on another forum. I saw the prices but didn't pay close enough attention since I have mine.

Wheatie, mounting on top of helmet I found to not work so well. After the first 45 minutes or so, too much pressure on the neck. At least mine, but then again, I have old and previously broken bones.

..and, I find that mounting the camera lower gives a better road perspective - the upcoming and rushing road blurring, the yellow stripes ahead clear, and the long distance view in clarity.

I have a bunch of videos, like this one. I use iMovie on the Mac to add moosic and titles and such, and to delete 'stupid stuff' filmed..

..like when the beautiful 19 year old Calif blond at the beach asked me if it would be ok to video her while she.... :lol: :huh:

Wheatie, mounting on top of helmet I found to not work so well. After the first 45 minutes or so, too much pressure on the neck. At least mine, but then again, I have old and previously broken bones.

..and, I find that mounting the camera lower gives a better road perspective - the upcoming and rushing road blurring, the yellow stripes ahead clear, and the long distance view in clarity.
Well, I want to shoot over my windshield...so I need it up higher on the helmet. I am old and decrepit...but no neck issues yet. But 2400 miles out to Kali might stiffen the neck up a little bit. If I am able to get this...I hope I will be okay physically with the helmet mount...

Well, I want to shoot over my windshield...so I need it up higher on the helmet.
I haven't tried the helmet mounted technique. Have mounted mine to a RAM ball on the left side of the handlebars on my V-Strom and will do the same on the FJR with a RAM ball in the unused mirror mount on the clutch master cylinder. Because the perspective is so wide, having it partially behind the windshield isn't a big deal. Helmet mount is a cool alternative and you can easily swap back and forth.

I haven't been able to get on my FeeJ and ride for 2 weeks 'cuz I'm still hurtin' but I mounted a sticky mount on the top of one of my Arais and also a sticky on the front fairing right below the "W" of the windscreen.

Normally I use the suction cup mount on my tank or on the side of the bike attached to the fairing.

Since the lens angle on these cameras seem so so wide...are they useless as point and shoot cameras for scenery while on a trip or photos of fellow riders at lunch stops?

...I have a bunch of videos, like this one. I use iMovie on the Mac to add moosic and titles and such, and to delete 'stupid stuff' filmed...
Don, were the photos on this report shot using the gopro?
Some, but most were with a point n' shoot. IMHO you'll need two cameras, one a good solid Point n' Shoot for still pix and the GoPro for video. I haven't yet splurged for the GoPro backscreen (about $80, IIRC), but will have one soon enough. If you keep the subject closely framed,the wide angle effect is manageable. I often use iPhoto or other software to crop my GoPro still pix - it helps alot.
This one is from the GoPro, left large to illustrate the resolution, which is much better than them Point 'n Shooter -
GOPR0001Crop.jpg

..Of course, it's all in the presentation.. here's a smaller view.

<Clicky Me>

Here is one of my favorite mount points
DSC09161.JPG

Last comment?

You're going on the ride of your lifetime (up to now!) - so don't cheap out!

Get the GoPro, get comfie using it before you leave (the icons are small, last trip I ended up taking one pix ever 5 seconds instead of video, and I forgot how to delete unwanted video too) then go and enjoy and document your trip. That way when you're old and feeble you'll have memories...