GoPro HD Hero Camera - Helmet Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget that the lens angle depends on the mode. 1080p mode is 127° and all other modes are 170°.

I looked at the GoPro but since I ride single track trails in the woods I wanted a camera with a smaller profile.

I had a Vio Sport before and really liked it but it wasn't HD and you have to stay with the times.

I ended up with the Contour HD. It's nice and small plus it's less likely to get snagged on anything. The newer version is the Contour GPS. In playback mode not only do you get the video but there is a small GPS map so you can see where you are and what you are seeing at the same time. There is also a module for the Contour GPS that will bluetooth to your iPhone and with an iPhone app allows you to use the iPhone as a realtime monitor. Now that's a true NERDS toy!!

Here's a sample from a Contour HD camera from our trip to Copper Canyon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixzXgyBGIxw

If your interested here is some info on the camera:

Contour GPS

Last edited by a moderator:
I was initially thinking that I would get the GoPro helmet cam for the $300 shown on the website...

Then I see that people like the extra memory and like the 32GB card....so that's about...$100

(I go to the gopro website, it talks about that the 32GB card is extra for about a $100 dollars. Do you get ZERO memory to start out with, and have to choose which size memory you want to start out with?)

So I also hear that people like to have...

the extra batteryBacPac...$50

the LCD BacPac screen for playback...$80

Then if I want to get a suction mount for the side of the tank like dcarver...$30

Therefore, the sum total of what I want is $560...or twice what I was thinking initially. :huh:

That's a lot of scratch for this midwestern boy.

Do I do it???

Yes you should. Be aware when buying memory since not all memory is equal. It's all about the write speed and you want the highest class (I believe it is Class 6) to get the best results.

By the way, I have no qualms about spending other people's money.

I was initially thinking that I would get the GoPro helmet cam for the $300 shown on the website...

Then I see that people like the extra memory and like the 32GB card....so that's about...$100

(I go to the gopro website, it talks about that the 32GB card is extra for about a $100 dollars. Do you get ZERO memory to start out with, and have to choose which size memory you want to start out with?)

So I also hear that people like to have...

the extra batteryBacPac...$50

the LCD BacPac screen for playback...$80

Then if I want to get a suction mount for the side of the tank like dcarver...$30

Therefore, the sum total of what I want is $560...or twice what I was thinking initially. :huh:

That's a lot of scratch for this midwestern boy.

Do I do it???

You buy the Motorsports edition. You get the suction cup mount and a bunch of hard point stick-on mounts. No need to buy any mount options separately.

If you go with the LCD, I wouldn't bother with the Battery Bac-Pac because they cannot be used together. It's either one or the other. You do not HAVE to have the LCD. It's a convenience item which, IMO, is what the GoPro needed but I bet 98% of them out in the field are without right now since it's brand new. A spare battery like I have is about $20. If you get a USB charger installed on your bike, you can plug directly in to the camera, too.

You could easily shop the 32 GB card but as mentioned, read GoPro's site as they mention the best memory type to buy. I believe the HD comes with a 16BGB card.

I'm still looking for those GoPro deals.

Yes you should. Be aware when buying memory since not all memory is equal. It's all about the write speed and you want the highest class (I believe it is Class 6) to get the best results.

By the way, I have no qualms about spending other people's money.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that disclaimer! ;)

As far as buying the 32 GB card that the Go Pro site offers, I don't see any options on what type of memory to purchase.

GoPRo recommends minimum class 4 SD cards, but I would go 6 personally (class 10 is overkill and expensive). Also you might find 16 MB is quite adequate as that is 4 hours of video, and they are much cheaper. Buy a spare if you like. Think ahead and decide how much video you are going to shoot, and all the editing it is going to take.....

Thanks Tree Doc...however I don't see a memory card in the GoPro kit, unless it's internal...so I presume I need to buy a memory card right off the bat to operate the thing? I guess I need to do more looking. Thanks for your comments, they have been very helpful.

As far as buying the 32 GB card that the Go Pro site offers, I don't see any options on what type of memory to purchase.
I was on the GoPro site and checked the info on the memory card they are selling...

683_large_ASDKG-324-01-683x4261.683x426.jpg

The 'C' with the 4 in the middle means it is a Class 4 card.

Someone mentioned that the motorsports edition comes with a memory card but this does not appear to be true from what I could find.

I would shop around for a Class 6 memory card since you should be able to find one for the same price as GoPro is asking for the slower Class 4.

This is important if you starting shooting at 60 frames per second. If you playback at 30 fps you can get slow motion. Then again all my riding is sorta slow motion.

The GoPro has some internal memory, but not much. I found a forum with a post from one of the GoPro people saying that they used the Kingston 16GB class 4 card in many tests, so that's what I got. I think you can find them for under $30 if you search around a bit online. 16GB will give you a little more than 2 hours of 1080/30p or 720/60p, and almost 4.5 hours of 720/30p. Buy 3 of those cards for a bit less than one of the $100 32GB cards :)

I would also recommend the "motorsport" package. You can find them on ebay buy-it-now auctions for about $230: https://cgi.ebay.com/GoPro-HD-Motorsports-Hero-1080p-Go-Pro-Camera-/270736166172?pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item3f09220d1c#ht_1606wt_910

As for the view angle of most point-and-shoot cameras... I don't know. I know the "standard" angle for cameras and camcorders that have no wide angle at all is about 60°, but my point-and-shoot camera is wide angle when zoomed out all the way to more easily get pictures without needing to back up 500 feet. When taking pictures with the GoPro without the new LCD bacpac, it's point-pray-and-shoot because there's no view-finder at all.

Wow...getting a lot of help here.

I think I will get the LCD PAC, go for a class 6 memory card from somewheres, get an extra rechargeable battery, maybe a USB charger/power source, and use that nice ebay link for the "buy it now" option.

After all this help, I HAVE to buy it! :D

Even if the first trip gets a lot of poor video and photos, I'm sure I'll learn over time how to get it better.

Thanks everybody!

I might be thinking of my old GoPro Hero WIDE having come with an SD card. I bought my new HD a month ago from a guy that had pushed the shutter button 3 times only. I was in the right place at the right time and bought it for $160 with the 32 gb card and the extra battery. :yahoo:

Now, as for the SD Cards....does it do any good to buy more than a Class 4 card if that's what the unit is designed to use?

From GoPro's site...

What size and type of memory card does the camera take?
The HD HERO camera supports SD/SDHC cards up to 32GB (any SD card over 2GB is considered a SDHC card). We recommend name brand SDHC cards with a class 4 rating or higher. The two cards that we mostly use in house, which work well are the Kingston and Patriot brand class 4 cards. We mostly use the 16GB class 4 card, as it gives you the most ‘bang for your buck’.

How much recording time do you get?

Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD card: 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m 720p (60 fps): 4h 21 720p (30 fps): 8h 09m WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

...Now, as for the SD Cards....does it do any good to buy more than a Class 4 card if that's what the unit is designed to use?
Go Pro indicates that the camera shoots 60 frames/sec at 720p, 30 frames/sec at the other resolutions. I think 'Fitter was talking about this frame speed...

Edit: I see you modified your post.

Got that part....I was just wondering if there's any true benefit to spending more money on Class 6 SD card over a Class 4 given the unit is designed to work with a Class 4.

In my head, I'm sort of equating it with memory sticks for a computer. You know, like having high powered memory sticks but the computer only being able to use only so much of the benefit? :unsure:

I was just thinking that since you have only 2.5 hours of battery you might as well buy memory for that period of time. That way when the card is full it's time for a new card and a fresh battery. As the GoPro people mention a 16GB card will do the trick.

If I wanted to bump to 60 fps though I would still want the Class 6 card and then know I'm not going to have any buffer overflow issues.

A Class 4 Compact Flash card will not keep up with my Nikon D300 DSLR shooting at 10 fps but the Nikon has a more serious electronics inside.

GoPro Motorsports edition, 2 16GB Kingston Class 4 Cards, LCD BacPac ordered...

Sum total = 230 + 55 + 80 = $365

Thanks guys for walking me through what I want and helping me to get a great deal as well.

Well, I crossed the line...I hope she will forgive me. :rolleyes:

oops, forgot to order the second rechargeable battery...gotta do that as well.