Got NAILED!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawanny

Reaction score
So Tuesday evening on the way home I stop and pickup everything I need to complete my 600 mile oil change (engine and rear end), thinking that I can complete the oil changes and take a short spin, and then complete the TBS when my Morgan CarbTuner arrives next week.

Complete the engine oil change in record time and move on to the rear end. As I am positioning the drain pan next to the rear tire, I see this fricken nail glaring back at me stuck completly through the tread and out the side wall, marring the rim.

th_003-2.jpg

Didn't think to take a photo when the nail was in the tire; I was pissed and grabbed the vise grips and ripped it out of the tire. Only 598 miles on it and I have to replace the damn rear tire already! :angry:

Called the dealer Wednesday morning and all they had in stock were the Z6C, but my bike has the BT020's on it and I'm not about to mix and match this early on the game. Call the local Cycle Gear (next door to Yami dealer) and they have a BT021, temping, but again not willing to mix and match...

Dealer can get new one in by Tuesday or Wednesday for $190 plus tax, I say screw that as I can order online and get here on Monday for $130 delivered from motorcycle-superstore.com.

So now I am down and waiting on a new rear tire to arrive Monday evening and then take new tire and rim to dealer to have tire mounted on Tuesday.

What could be worse, I have a brand new FJR sitting in the garage, weekend forcast is looking like it is going to be great riding weather, but my bike is down and out waiting for a new tire :angry2:

Well, hope everyone else has a great weekend riding safely... I will be on the road with you in my thoughts...

Sorry to see and hear that.

In the Aerospace industry, airports, military aviation, etc, that's called FOD (Foreign Object Damage). I'm well aware of these nasty things and every time I see a nail, bolt, screw, staple, or anything I believe will cause a tire puncture I pick it up where ever I am. I hate getting crap like this in my tires, or knowing someone could have a flat or worse from this FOD.

What could be worse, I have a brand new FJR sitting in the garage, weekend forcast is looking like it is going to be great riding weather, but my bike is down and out waiting for a new tire :angry2:

Somebody could be shooting at you. Chill dude. :unsure:

JW

Somebody could be shooting at you. Chill dude. :unsure:

JW

No disrespect, as I know things could literally be worse, but I was retorically speaking...

Was the tire destroyed?

If not I would just use the nailed tire till the other came in. just not at canyon riding or triple digits

Tough to plug a tire with holes in both the tread area AND sidewall, plus with sidewall flex taken into account, it would probably spit the plug out or chew it in half.

Has anyone attemped a tube install on a punctured-but-long-lived tire?

Tough to plug a tire with holes in both the tread area AND sidewall, plus with sidewall flex taken into account, it would probably spit the plug out or chew it in half.
Yep. My GL's rear tire took a nail at 2k or so. Had the dealer toss a tube in there as I didn't wanna spring for a new tire and he didn't wanna patch it (he didn't really wanna put a tube in either). Tire was fine all the way to its 15,000 mile death.

Yep. My GL's rear tire took a nail at 2k or so. Had the dealer toss a tube in there as I didn't wanna spring for a new tire and he didn't wanna patch it (he didn't really wanna put a tube in either). Tire was fine all the way to its 15,000 mile death.
This thought crossed my mind and I asked dealer about it, but they wouldn't do it, so I figured I wouldn't chance it and wait until I get the new tire next week.

Guess I can use the downtime this weekend to take care of the honey do list that has been accumulating...

That sucks....just found a nice aluminum machine screw in my rear storm which has ~10k on it....still had another 1k left in it but I guess I'll pop the PR2 rear on there tomorrow....looks like I can get another 2k or so out of the storm fronts.

So Tuesday evening on the way home I stop and pickup everything I need to complete my 600 mile oil change (engine and rear end), thinking that I can complete the oil changes and take a short spin, and then complete the TBS when my Morgan CarbTuner arrives next week.Complete the engine oil change in record time and move on to the rear end. As I am positioning the drain pan next to the rear tire, I see this fricken nail glaring back at me stuck completly through the tread and out the side wall, marring the rim.

th_003-2.jpg

Didn't think to take a photo when the nail was in the tire; I was pissed and grabbed the vise grips and ripped it out of the tire. Only 598 miles on it and I have to replace the damn rear tire already! :angry:

Called the dealer Wednesday morning and all they had in stock were the Z6C, but my bike has the BT020's on it and I'm not about to mix and match this early on the game. Call the local Cycle Gear (next door to Yami dealer) and they have a BT021, temping, but again not willing to mix and match...

Dealer can get new one in by Tuesday or Wednesday for $190 plus tax, I say screw that as I can order online and get here on Monday for $130 delivered from motorcycle-superstore.com.

So now I am down and waiting on a new rear tire to arrive Monday evening and then take new tire and rim to dealer to have tire mounted on Tuesday.

Well, hope everyone else has a great weekend riding safely... I will be on the road with you in my thoughts...
It could be 35 degrees and snowing like it did to me on Tuesday.

I would take that weather any day if my bike was able to run. Not too fun to ride in snow, but 35 degrees isn't that bad. On the old Shadow, I would ride with temps as low as 25 degrees. A bit cold on the hands, but now with the grip warmers on my FJR AE, I see myself being quite comfy riding when it's below freezing as long as the roads are clear and there is no ice.

Dad and I are planning a trip through Rapid City in July, maybe we will see you on the road some place.

Ride safe and enjoy...

I would take that weather any day if my bike was able to run. Not too fun to ride in snow, but 35 degrees isn't that bad. On the old Shadow, I would ride with temps as low as 25 degrees. A bit cold on the hands, but now with the grip warmers on my FJR AE, I see myself being quite comfy riding when it's below freezing as long as the roads are clear and there is no ice.

Dad and I are planning a trip through Rapid City in July, maybe we will see you on the road some place.

Ride safe and enjoy...
send me a PM when you get it planned out. I have one of the best 10 miles stretches of road between Rapid City and my house you can find. If it is the weekend or I am not too busy we can take a ride otherwise you can stop and have a cup of coffee.

PATCH PLUG is your answer. My hsop put one in on a BT020 on my Other bike. Its a Suzuki Bandit 1200S. The tire had 80 miles on it when I picked up a nail. It cost me about $40 to have it done. I have beat the crap out of that tire for 4K and the patch/plug has held up. The tire is almost worn out now. Check around at local shops and see if there is one that has the kit to do it. A lot of shops wont repair bike tires.

Well it happened to me today! Commuted to work this morning, & when I went to leave I knew by the feeling, the rear was flat. 2008 FJR with 1800+ miles & rear Bridgestone was nailed. Plugged the tire, inflator to 40 PSI & rode straight home on local streets only right into the garage.

Ordered a Dunlop Roadsmart rear from Motorcycle superstore for $150 total. I knew my next set of tires were going to be Roadsmarts, just didn't want it to happen after only 1800 miles! I got :****:

Hope it's here by Wednesday!

Well it happened to me today! Commuted to work this morning, & when I went to leave I knew by the feeling, the rear was flat. 2008 FJR with 1800+ miles & rear Bridgestone was nailed. Plugged the tire, inflator to 40 PSI & rode straight home on local streets only right into the garage.
Ordered a Dunlop Roadsmart rear from Motorcycle superstore for $150 total. I knew my next set of tires were going to be Roadsmarts, just didn't want it to happen after only 1800 miles! I got :****:

Hope it's here by Wednesday!
Sorry to hear you got nailed too. Just got back from getting my new BT020R mounted. It's raining today, so wont be able to getting some "Scrubbing" done on it until tomorrow (hopefully)...

If it wasn't for the nail going through the side wall, I would have just plugged it and road it until I needed to replace it as others have done. Anyway, I am happy to have my baby back on two wheels. :)

Sorry to hear you got nailed too. Just got back from getting my new BT020R mounted. It's raining today, so wont be able to getting some "Scrubbing" done on it until tomorrow (hopefully)...
If it wasn't for the nail going through the side wall, I would have just plugged it and road it until I needed to replace it as others have done. Anyway, I am happy to have my baby back on two wheels. :)

I never trust a tire once it is plugged. I mean it's OK to get you home, but I could never get comfortable (extreme lack of faith) riding several thousand miles with that plug in there. The anxiety of never knowing if (when) it will let go is too much for me!

For me $150 is well worth the peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear you got nailed.

I have been thinking about getting my next set of tires through [SIZE=18pt]Rhino Tire[/SIZE]. Has anyone seen this add? Check out the video:

Rhino Tire Website

Basically, you can just about order any tire through them with the additional Rhino application cost at a pretty resonable rate. This sure would beat the risk of a plugged tire. I have been nailed and screwed in the past and it just sucks. Of course the plug works if your CO2 cartrdige is full - not. I still leave it plugged just long enough to order another tire - I don't like taking chances here.

Has anyone tried this yet? What's your feedback?