GP Suspension Comment Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twowheelnut

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Finally, after a month of looking at my FJR 'on the blocks', I put it back together today. Did the steering head service, front brake rebuild and swing arm service, including u-joint, shock bearing areas and pumpkin/shaft service. Took it for a quick ride and DAY-EM! The front end is completely transformed! No twisty stuff, however the general ride and compliance are outstanding! Bumps are soaked up and barely make it through the bars and it is soooooooooo smooth! Buttah! The loping undulations of the highway slabs so noticeable with the old set up are completely smothered with the GP mods.

The rear shock was serviced and a new, heavier spring added. The back end rides noticeably stiffer, so I backed down the GP settings on the pre-load to cush up the ride and it too, is like new.

I can't wait to rack up some miles in the canyons to really get a feel of how well the new suspenders actually work, but until then, color me convinced that the money spent was well worth it.

Thanks again Dale, for the GB and to GPS, for a job well done! :good:

I had my forks done and a Penske shock. I had him set the shock up for my 260#'s + Fuel cell and all the other crap I carry on Rallys. It has transform my FJR, I rode up and down both sides of Palomar Mountain (a very twisty road used by local Sport bike riders) It seems like the bike wants to turn now, I can trail the brakes into a turn without it trying to stand up like it did before, I was never able to drag my pegs where is before I would be dragging pegs and exhaust in every turn.

Now I got to send in My ZX14 forks and get the same thing done.

I'll tell another thing that I thought was impressive; the fast turn around. I used the tracking number to ensure that my forks arrived and I think my forks were only there 2 maybe 3 days and back out. Alot faster than I was expecting.

The other cool thing was that I was sent back the parts that they replaced that were not in spec, like the new rated springs and bushings.

Has anybody heard if they used Yamaha aquired parts for the rebuild or were they sourced from some other place? The reason I ask is because my bushings and wiper seals were worn out after only 6300~ or so miles and I wonder if I need to monitor this more closely.

Now if GP could do something about the damn weather, woke up to a foot of snow in my driveway.

Kinda hard to believe how well the bike will handle after GP Suspension has done their magic until you've rode one that has been transformed ! As TWN says "Worth every penny".

Has anybody heard if they used Yamaha acquired parts for the rebuild or were they sourced from some other place?
I would bet they got Yamaha parts. I'm not sure if there are any other places to source those. I also got mine replaced, they said they were worn and I was a bit suspect at only 20k. Your's at 6300?? I'm wondering, is there anyone that got his service done that did not get those replaced. (Probably a good thing to get done anyway since they are that far apart)

I got the Penske and fork deal also. Got it all bolted up and gotta say I'm not really happy with the ride. All my buddies whom have had their bikes suspension done professionally (no matter what the bike / shock addition) said the same thing as TWN, smooth as butter. Soaks up the bumps. Things like road joints don't get transmitted like with stock shocks. A lot more compliant.

Not mine, mine is riding like a dually pick up truck. I can feel every single bump in the road and have been tossed off the seat on a couple of hard bumps while riding yesterday. I'm not happy with this at all so far.

I've started loosening things up like pre-load and compression and it's a bit better. I can say the bike handles somewhat better in the corners, but getting tossed from the seat mid corner is not good. I just thought this thing was supposed to come set up for you, not that you were going to have to re-adjust everything from scratch.

TWN, how much did you back off your pre-load? I don't have any real reference as to how many turns you should try before noticing a difference. I.E. how far to back it off before trying and seeing what the difference is? How many turns is a significant amount? Etc.

TWN, how much did you back off your pre-load? I don't have any real reference as to how many turns you should try before noticing a difference. I.E. how far to back it off before trying and seeing what the difference is? How many turns is a significant amount? Etc.

It looks like GP centered all the adjustments to allow for maximum rider tuning. The front end feels fine - again, I need to get it into the twisties - but I think it's all goodness there.

I too got the bronking buck ride outta the shock, so I simply back the pre-load down by 6 clicks (Wilbers pre-load clicks with every full turn) and it was just about the way I like it. Mind you, the bike was sans side cases and no other encumbrances outside of my 220 lbs. So, I think they have it set up for a fully loaded bike. Hey! Does this mean I can start stopping at the Krispy Kreme again?! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't twisted a single clicker yet on my new forks and 8983 Penske and it feels VERY VERY good, especially the front end. I need to do a careful suspension setup when it is warmer and drier, but I'm very pleased. My only complaint was that the bill sorta nickle-and-dimed you to death but suspension work is always very pricey because of all the labor involved. I can't complain about the results.

- Mark

(Wilbers pre-load clicks with every full turn)
Gotcha. Yea, I have the Penske and was thinking that's what you had gotten.

Anyone know a good source for finding out how much adjustment on a Penske should be dialed in per try? On the stock shocks on my sport bikes there is alway some reference clicks. The Penske just rotates without any reference marks or clicks. I backed it off what I think is one turn and it helped, along with loosening the compression three clicks. Still, it's not butter on bumps. It's a truck.

Anyone know a good source for finding out how much adjustment on a Penske should be dialed in per try? On the stock shocks on my sport bikes there is alway some reference clicks. The Penske just rotates without any reference marks or clicks. I backed it off what I think is one turn and it helped, along with loosening the compression three clicks. Still, it's not butter on bumps. It's a truck.
You might save yourself a whack of time by calling GP. They can prolly walk you through it over the phone faster than you can search for the answers online or on-road.

Has anybody heard if they used Yamaha acquired parts for the rebuild or were they sourced from some other place?
I would bet they got Yamaha parts. I'm not sure if there are any other places to source those. I also got mine replaced, they said they were worn and I was a bit suspect at only 20k. Your's at 6300?? I'm wondering, is there anyone that got his service done that did not get those replaced. (Probably a good thing to get done anyway since they are that far apart)

I got the Penske and fork deal also. Got it all bolted up and gotta say I'm not really happy with the ride. All my buddies whom have had their bikes suspension done professionally (no matter what the bike / shock addition) said the same thing as TWN, smooth as butter. Soaks up the bumps. Things like road joints don't get transmitted like with stock shocks. A lot more compliant.

Not mine, mine is riding like a dually pick up truck. I can feel every single bump in the road and have been tossed off the seat on a couple of hard bumps while riding yesterday. I'm not happy with this at all so far.

I've started loosening things up like pre-load and compression and it's a bit better. I can say the bike handles somewhat better in the corners, but getting tossed from the seat mid corner is not good. I just thought this thing was supposed to come set up for you, not that you were going to have to re-adjust everything from scratch.

Had mine done on first group buy both front and back. Penske is fine but the front end reacts like yours. I have sent them back and still have the same problems. I have to grit my teeth everytime I see a small bump in road because I know it is going to jar my teeth out. I have been tossed off seat many times and have started to ride the bike like I did when I used to ride enduros. They have been very kind and tried to help, but it just gets worst. Handles great in curves, but at the expense of feeling every bump in the road. Very harsh!!! I am not told that the tires may be part of the problems(Bridgestones). Have found someone locally who is willing to take a look at problem.

Had mine done on first group buy both front and back. Penske is fine but the front end reacts like yours. I have sent them back and still have the same problems. I have to grit my teeth everytime I see a small bump in road because I know it is going to jar my teeth out. I have been tossed off seat many times and have started to ride the bike like I did when I used to ride enduros. They have been very kind and tried to help, but it just gets worst. Handles great in curves, but at the expense of feeling every bump in the road. Very harsh!!! I am not told that the tires may be part of the problems(Bridgestones). Have found someone locally who is willing to take a look at problem.
Outta curiosity, did you discuss with GP what weight oil they used and have you considered changing to a lighter weight up front? I know that when I did the Wilbers springs, the oil weight v. stock was heavier and did harshen the ride considerably.

Outta curiosity, did you discuss with GP what weight oil they used and have you considered changing to a lighter weight up front? I know that when I did the Wilbers springs, the oil weight v. stock was heavier and did harshen the ride considerably.
Yes!! Revlaved rebound, changed oil, and looks like they changed spring rate when I sent them back. First time could not see any movement in wheel over bumps. Ride over not thru....... Second time had plenty of action but very harsh. I opened up rebound and compression so much to obtain a smoother ride that bike would not handle at all. Sag was set to 2 inches and bike was scary to ride. Finally set everything back to original settings to gain control. Now I handle the issue by standing up on pegs when I approach bumps in road. Out of fairness to them I will be changing tires soon; so hopefully this will help. Any suggestions????????????

Maybe there'll be another GB next year, before the weather turns too bad for some of us to do a ride-in. :rolleyes:

Any word on the brand/type, weight, and level, of oil they used in the forks?

I'm hoping for waay comfy, over grit your teeth harsh.

I finally got around to pulling my Wilbers shock and taking it over to the UPS center. Shipping was less that $20 including insurance.

I finally got around to pulling my Wilbers shock and taking it over to the UPS center. Shipping was less that $20 including insurance.
Same here - sent mine off on Saturday morning..

Cold, raining and crappy here this week so its a good time to have the bike sitting in the garage.

The comments on the improved ride quality in the posts above sound like what I was saying right after I installed my Wilburs springs and shock - amazing difference, especially over washboard type road surface.