GP Suspension Comment Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any word on the brand/type, weight, and level, of oil they used in the forks?
I'm hoping for waay comfy, over grit your teeth harsh.
I still haven't called, but if you are looking for a Buick level ride, I think you'll be happy. I just have to see how the Buick ride translates in the curves.

I just emailed GPS the oil questions and I'll post the answer here.

I asked about the fork oil level and flushing the forks with ATF or kerosene.

From Dave Hodges at GP Suspension 1/24/08.

130mm and 10wt fluid for the front forks on the FJR.

I would just dump all the oil out and bleed out the tube and

cartridge and hang them upside down over night and let them drain out.

You should every other oil change fully disassemble the forks and clean

them and put them back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
5W? Schnikies! Compared to the 7.5 Wilbers recommended, these newly rebuild forks are on a cloud! Must be all that re-valving making the difference.

(Yeah, yeah, I know; one man's 5W is another man's 10W. Save the lecture. :****: )

5W? Schnikies! Compared to the 7.5 Wilbers recommended, these newly rebuild forks are on a cloud! Must be all that re-valving making the difference.
(Yeah, yeah, I know; one man's 5W is another man's 10W. Save the lecture. :****: )
I have been very happy with my 2.5W Silkolene. :p

I rode up to GP a couple of weeks ago. It's been raining almost non stop since I got back and I finally got to take the bike out.

The front forks are making a sound they never made before. Kind of a squirt sound.

It was suggested by a local dirt bike suspension shop that the change in altitude (from Oregon to California) may have changed the pressure in the shock tubes.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this theory or can lend any credence to it?

Thanks

germany

I rode up to GP a couple of weeks ago. It's been raining almost non stop since I got back and I finally got to take the bike out.
The front forks are making a sound they never made before. Kind of a squirt sound.

It was suggested by a local dirt bike suspension shop that the change in altitude (from Oregon to California) may have changed the pressure in the shock tubes.

Thanks

germany
Have you asked GPS? I bet they might know a thing or two about suspensions. :)

Thanks

germany
Have you asked GPS? I bet they might know a thing or two about suspensions. :)
I'm going to call on Monday.

This is not unusual. You are hearing the suspension fluid moving in/out of the various orifices and valving, is all. You likely didn't noticing it before if you had old, dirty sludge of fork fluid running through the factory compression & rebound kits you had in the tubes before the re-build.

Remember, folks, if you have the full-blown fork overhaul done, you no longer have the same old Soqi parts that were merely cleaned and re-installed.

Rather, you have these brand-new, custom-machined parts in your forks!

FJR_Kits.JPG

You are likely just hearing the 5wt suspension fluid rushing in/out of the shim stack and various orifices. If this still bugs you for whatever reason (and it shouldn't), then just give GP Suspension a call and discuss it with them.

This is not unusual. You are hearing the suspension fluid moving in/out of the various orifices and valving, is all. You likely didn't noticing it before if you had old, dirty sludge of fork fluid running through the factory compression & rebound kits you had in the tubes before the re-build.

Remember, folks, if you have the full-blown fork overhaul done, you no longer have the same old Soqi parts that were merely cleaned and re-installed.

Rather, you have these brand-new, custom-machined parts in your forks!

You are likely just hearing the 5wt suspension fluid rushing in/out of the shim stack and various orifices. If this still bugs you for whatever reason (and it shouldn't), then just give GP Suspension a call and discuss it with them.

Thanks for the input Warchild. And THANKS for setting up the GB. :clapping: The guys at GP are great to work with. I hope everything is going smoothly for everyone involved.

TWN,
Have you been able to put her through any twisties yet?
Oh, yeah, baby! Did some miles today in the foothills (passes are still too slimy from the recent rains) and all I gotta say is, 'wow!' Despite the cushy highway ride, the front end firms up nicely in the corners. Tracks dead on with no twitching over the mid-corner bumps. Turn in is quick and crisp. I still have a bit of fine tuning to do on the shock, but the GP treatment has transformed the bike. I'm pleased with the results for the money spent and my Visa Card is recovering nicely. :lol:

I'll have a chance to load up the bike to full touring weight in March, so that will be the real test.

Despite the cushy highway ride, the front end firms up nicely in the corners.
Cushy. You could really describe it as a cushy ride? I ask, because with forks and Penske installed mine rides like a 1 ton pick up, beating the Sh!t outa me. It does handle better, beside throwing me off the seat from time to time, but you can feel every bump in the road and it's not what I would call compliant or soaking up bumps with ease like other descriptions told me by those that have spent high dollar on suspension parts whether it be the FJR or a real sport bike.

I've backed off the pre-load as far as it can go with the forks, backed off compression and rebound by several clicks. With the rear I've loosened up pre-load by 4 turns and backed off rebound almost all the way and compression by several clicks. I reached a point where it does not seem to make any more difference when loosening up the suspension. The bike will only sag so far, and it doesn't appear to be much.

I talked with GP and they told me they put in the right springs for my weight, but I'm really beginning to think they did not. This thing just seems to be sprung like a truck and cushy is not even close to a description I could use.

I can say it handles better, but it also rides harsh. I could of saved a lot of money and just put some springs in myself front and back. I'm still messing with it, but I'm going to have everything backed off as far as it will go pretty soon. I think mine is going to have to go back to GP.

"I think mine is going to have to go back to GP."

If it turns out that they put the "correct" springs in, and they need to be changed, I wonder what additional charges would be involved?

I feel for your situation.

I REALLY hope I don't end up where you're at when I'm back on the road, especially at $50 shipping. :(

Cushy. You could really describe it as a cushy ride? I ask, because with forks and Penske installed mine rides like a 1 ton pick up, beating the Sh!t outa me. It does handle better, beside throwing me off the seat from time to time, but you can feel every bump in the road and it's not what I would call compliant or soaking up bumps with ease like other descriptions told me by those that have spent high dollar on suspension parts whether it be the FJR or a real sport bike.

something is definitely WRONG. When I put the Wilburs springs and shocks on my FJR it was amazing how it just soaked up the sharp jolts and bumps the stock suspension did not absorb.

I'b be talking to GP Suspension. Maybe they got yours mixed up with someone elses?

Uh-oh. I wonder which one I'm going to get. I have the forks installed and am waiting on the rear. :blink: