GP Suspension Comment Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it turns out that they put the "correct" springs in, and they need to be changed, I wonder what additional charges would be involved?
Not to worry, it won't cost a thing.

If I'm not satisfied, for whatever reason, I am confident GP Suspensions will do what it takes to make me happy. I say this because Doug called today to follow up on an earlier conversation we had a week or so ago, to check and see if I was getting things sorted out. When I stated I wasn't sure and wanted to play with it some more, including riding a buddies bike, he said no problem. He was more than willing to give me a UPS bar coded return label to cover cost when / if it is ever needed to re-valve the shock and forks.

He stated he thought my problem may be the shock and not the forks. I'm not so sure, but certainly I am not a motorcycle suspension guru. I am pretty good at diagnosing problems no matter the machinery. When I told him it just felt sprung too strong, he stated that there were basically two spring rates used. An 800lb and 850 lb, and that almost all were the 80 lb rate. Notes on mine stated the 800 was used and he'd be surprised if it was different. Hence his thinking it's valving I'm not happy with. He told where to find the stampings I am going to try and locate it on the spring tonight.

Bottom line, and what I wanted all to know, is GP Suspension is certainly customer oriented and want you to be happy and seemingly more than willing to work with you in order to make you happy.

Thumbs up and kudos to them, in a world where customer service seems on the decline.

received my serviced and upgraded with new stiffer spring Wilburs rear shock back on Friday the 8th and installed it on Saturday and took a nice 100 mile ride in the superb 76 degree and sunny weather we are having.

I pronounce the shock MUCH better and am satisfied.

The shock had about 30k miles on it before the rebuild and was feeling kind of tired.

Thanks again for setting up the group buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the upgrade forks installed this past week. The Lord provided two warm days and got the snow off the roads [just the b-b like gravel to address], so time for a ride. Find gear, move snow blower and other winter stuff, then check over the bike again [two hours shot, but needed].

After about 125 great miles and without pre-load or clicks changed; the forks are great. :yahoo:

Rough expansion joints are soaked up without issue and very little shock. Lines are held with ease [note nothing fast due to gravel] and mid-sweeper corrections are done without any issue.

The last half of day was spend in getting the rear shock dialed closer to in. Now it only bucks on big pot holes. :glare: My normal "check out route" still has snow and ice, so the real tests and adjustments will come in the spring.

Tomorrow should have good weather, so some more R&R before work.

Thanks to Dave, WC and et al for the fine group buy!

ride safe

Well just like rublenoon above, I finally had a chance to get out of my driveway without having to cross snow.

These forks are incredible, firm yet smooth, could not be happier. And all of what has been said above is true, these forks and with the Penske shock have truly changed the bike from great to absolutely incredible!

I also changed out the steering stem ball bearings with the All Balls tapered bearing set, and I now know that the stock set either were worn in a lot or came loose from the factory, probably a bit of both.

WC thanks so much for setting up the GB!!

Oooh, even mo' better in the serious twisties! 100 MPH sweepers are much more funnerer! Almost have the shocked dialed in, too.

Sunday fork/shock/ride update; forks are still great/shock is getting closer. Morning ride was about 4 hours/130 miles and shorted due to cold [36 to 46°F] and snow blowing over the route :eek:

I know the bike is handling much better and the rides sweep rider commented at the warming stop that I should not slaloming the car cut lanes in the blown snow. I was having too much fun. This rider is a much better rider than I so I listened and toned it back. Point of the story is that I was comfortable with setup. :)

Rest of the story; working during the warm part of the day was NOT fun.

ride safe

Firm but compliant, nice and steady in a sweeper.

I have not touched GP's settings, but I guess I should really check the preload sag with a cable tie around the fork tube.

I need a 2up review, but I think I might dial it toward less compression firmness, it feels pretty good.

:rolleyes:

WC thanks so much for setting up the GB!!
No problamo......

Now that youse guys have your suspension all sorted, you can go score some Galfer hardware on the Galfer Group Buy, and you'll be SET! B)

I already have all of the Galfer stuff I got through Jeff a Bike Effects, and I know I got a good deal, but if any of you a-holes rub it in my face how much you saved, then you have to buy the first round at NAFO! :rolleyes:

I finished the installation today of the forks and Penske shock. Can't ride due to weather, but made some intial adjustments.

The rear shock came quite a bit longer than original. I shortened it to it's minimum length and it is still 1/4" longer so that's where it stays. The bike even leans more on the side stand a little. I backed off on compression 5 clicks and rebound 2. I just figure I will need to. Had to back off the spring quite a bit to get the sag right. Tightened the fork springs a little because it had much more sag than the rear and backed of a few clicks on both there too.

I just could not get over having that rear shock resevoir visable though. This lead into a day long project of figuring out how to hide it. After allot of messing around, triming plastic etc. I found a home for it here:

100_0488.jpg

Which lead to another problem in that you cannot get to the compression adjuster. So I made this tool:

100_0491.jpg

So now it can be accessed like this:

100_0490.jpg

I am dying to try this thing out but a little apprehensive. Jumping up and down on it in the basement :hyper: there doesn't seem to be much give. I need a road test here.......................can't wait!