GPS Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Reaction score
My trusty Garmin 2720 died the other day and I need some GPS advice. I stuck the Nuvi 7 series that I use in the car on the bike and it is VERY hard to see the screen unless it is very overcast. Anyone have any experience with the Nuvi 550? Its waterproof which is a plus but I expect it has the same screen as my 7 series so I'm worried about being able to see it. I really don't want to spend the money on a Zumo but will if it is the best choice (good readable screen). any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

My trusty Garmin 2720 died the other day and I need some GPS advice. I stuck the Nuvi 7 series that I use in the car on the bike and it is VERY hard to see the screen unless it is very overcast. Anyone have any experience with the Nuvi 550? Its waterproof which is a plus but I expect it has the same screen as my 7 series so I'm worried about being able to see it. I really don't want to spend the money on a Zumo but will if it is the best choice (good readable screen). any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
Have you contacted Garmin about getting the 2720 repaired. I sent a 2610 in for repair for just under 100.00.

Willie

The newest Nuvi will release next week. The Nuvi 2460 LT has incredible features and a 5-inch screen The routing options now allow more routes to be stored and active, and the voice activated navigation may be an advantage (or not we'll see). Specs are available for the 2460 at Garmin's site, and the cost is settling in at $259.00 with lifetime traffic and map updates.

The newest Nuvi will release next week. The Nuvi 2460 LT has incredible features and a 5-inch screen The routing options now allow more routes to be stored and active, and the voice activated navigation may be an advantage (or not we'll see). Specs are available for the 2460 at Garmin's site, and the cost is settling in at $259.00 with lifetime traffic and map updates.
Lifetime traffic updates, but no map updates, according to Garmin's web site.

Also, no audio features (no XM, no MP3) and no audio input or output jacks which makes the Bluetooth phone feature pretty useless on a bike. Also, not water resistant.

Nuvi 550 is waterproof, but has no audio features or audio output capability, so you can't get the GPS prompts to your helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a ZUMO 550 and have it for 3 years and love it. It is connected to my headset via the J&M 2003 audio system so the CB works great, as does the satellite radio weather and traffic.

I would ask Garmin about repairing the 2720.

I use a Nuvi 765 on the bike (center mounted on tank bolts), and have no difficulty viewing the screen.

FWIW, I just bought a very gently used 2720 off of E-Bay, for a total of about $120.00 including shipping, so if Garmin wants more than that to repair it, you might consider picking up a good 2nd hand unit.

If I were you, I would look for a used 2720/2730/2820 on ebay.

That way you can get a still great and waterproof gps without breaking the bank.

There is the free lifetime map version - the 2460LMT, retailing for $30 more ($299). Not a bad deal if you use it a lot and plan to have it a while. This looks like a cool car gps assuming the voice commands work. Still, a bit pricey. Wonder how long it will take for them to start coming down in price?

There is the free lifetime map version - the 2460LMT, retailing for $30 more ($299). Not a bad deal if you use it a lot and plan to have it a while. This looks like a cool car gps assuming the voice commands work. Still, a bit pricey. Wonder how long it will take for them to start coming down in price?
I currently use the 765T and have a lifetime map update subscription. It has the MP3 and an A2DP Bluetooth, which nothing out there has except the Zumo. When this one is done, I'll probably pay the big-bucks for a Zumo, but it has worked very well so far. Too bad they discontinued the best full-featured GPS in the Nuvi lineup. :angry2:

If it isn't waterproof, I just can't see putting it on a motorcycle.
Meh... plastic baggy and a rubber band work wonders.
withstupidsmiley.gif
yes.gif

Those Ziploc baggies on the Nuvi got me through some pretty good hail and rain storms in Colorado last year..

Waterproof is a lot bigger deal outside California and the southwest. Even traveling through the east there were relatively few days it made much difference to me. Also, check out the RAM Aquabox

219491817.jpg

765T in the Aquabox. Completely weatherized and seems to render the GPS inconspicuous to those that would feel the need to absconded with it. I reversed the positioning (opens from the top down) for ease of removing the GPS without interference from the tank bag.

PC101067.JPG

Keep Going!

my 6 month old 765T started rebooting spontaneously last week. It's on a ram mount on the bike, never got wet. I am contemplating a zumo 660 as the 550 isnt stereo. I need BT and the 7x5 series of nuvo and the zumos are about it.

my 6 month old 765T started rebooting spontaneously last week. It's on a ram mount on the bike, never got wet. I am contemplating a zumo 660 as the 550 isnt stereo. I need BT and the 7x5 series of nuvo and the zumos are about it.
Correctification. The Z550 isn't stereo BLUETOOTH, but it most definitely is stereo.

I like my 4 year old Zumo 550, it's been quite reliable once I kept it powered on all the time. Had to replace the digitizer once. A couple of buddies have 660's and complain about seeing it in the sun, so maybe try someone else's out before you buy, YMMV. I like the smaller screen of the 550 and I think a tad higher resolution. The other advantage is if a Zumo craps out totally, you can get a replacement for $150 "repair fee" from Garmin.

Do a hard reboot of the unit. It usually solves this. You will lose waypoints and routes, so back up first if possible.

Power off unit. Press on the upper top left corner of screen as you power on the unit by pressing once on the Power button. You should be prompted to clear all user data, or asked if do you really want to start up in maintenance mode. Press “Yes” to reset (warning: all data will be erased and lost, so backup before proceeding) or enter maintenance mode.