GPS Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
765T in the Aquabox. Completely weatherized and seems to render the GPS inconspicuous to those that would feel the need to absconded with it. I reversed the positioning (opens from the top down) for ease of removing the GPS without interference from the tank bag.
Which Aqua Box model (it appears there are at least two sizes) is that? And does the 765T need to be mounted in a cradle inside the Aqua Box or does the power cable plug directly into the GPS unit? I was leaning toward a Nuvi 550 because it is waterproof, but if the Aqua Box works well, I'd like the turn by turn audio from the 765T coming through my Sena SMH10 headset.
Oh, and does it have detailed Canada maps or just a basemap for Canada? Going to B.C. in June so it would be nice to have detailed Canada maps on it.

Thanks

Olson,

I ordered the medium/wide Aquabox for mine. The medium is just a tad too small to fit the 765T in it(according to Aquabox dimensions and Garmin's specs on the 765). As far as the waterproofness of the Aquabox, I've had one on my boat(Seadoo Speedster, everything and everyone is guaranteed to get soaked in it) for my iPod last summer and never had any issues.

The Nuvi just comes with a power plug, so no cradle needed, although I did order one and an extra ram ball just incase I didn't want it in the Aquabox, not sure if I will use it or not, but rain can be far and few between in the later months of summer in Colorado.

According to Garmin it is loaded with "City Navigator Maps" for US and Canada, so I would believe the maps would be similar to the US ones.

Hope this helps!

Josh

765T in the Aquabox. Completely weatherized and seems to render the GPS inconspicuous to those that would feel the need to absconded with it. I reversed the positioning (opens from the top down) for ease of removing the GPS without interference from the tank bag.
Which Aqua Box model (it appears there are at least two sizes) is that? And does the 765T need to be mounted in a cradle inside the Aqua Box or does the power cable plug directly into the GPS unit? I was leaning toward a Nuvi 550 because it is waterproof, but if the Aqua Box works well, I'd like the turn by turn audio from the 765T coming through my Sena SMH10 headset.
Oh, and does it have detailed Canada maps or just a basemap for Canada? Going to B.C. in June so it would be nice to have detailed Canada maps on it.

Thanks

Here is my set-up from Amazon Including the Frequently Bought Together items shown on this page with one exception. I had a diamond shaped surface mount which I attached to the back of the Aqua Box instead of the circular one shown. I don't see where it would make a difference.

Here are a couple of videos which should help if you haven't already seen them.

Here are some pics of how I have mine set-up:

PC101066.JPG

PC101065.JPG

PC101064.JPG

Note: I used the two thickest pads and cut out the lower left corner for the traffic antenna

P2231115.JPG

P2231116.JPG

PC101067.JPG

The maps for Canada are the same as the US. I purchased a cradle but after using the AB I don't see myself ever using it.

Hope that helps.

Keep Going!

Last edited by a moderator:
One added note regarding the Aqua Box. In the review on the Amazon page link in my previous post is reads in part: "reason for rating is the plastic gasket that you have to look through actually has 3 raised nipples on it right in the line of sight. now while that might not annoy you, i think its foolish. I actually returned the first one thinking it was a defect but sure enough its not. must be part of the mold. It's not a deal breaker for me, but a nuisance that could easily be avoided with a better mold."

My two cents - the AB lens works so well in every other way that this is a non issue. I also wondered why such a well constructed product would have these tiny blemishes in the lens and then got over it given the rest of the benefits. After the first 20 minutes of use, and now thousands of miles, I have to say that I had completely forgotten about this issue until I just read the review. This is something that disappears in your minds eye very quickly.

Keep Going!

765T includes: MP3, stereo headphone audio jack, FM transmitter, A2DP bluetooth.

1490 is larger and includes lifetime maps. is missing the headphone jack, regular bluetooth

Both do routes, lane assist, etc. so overall the differences are minor. The real question is why Garmin feels compelled to churn its products. It seems changes in models occur frequently and often with no improvement or even removing features.
Actually, the 1490 doesn't do routes, which makes it worthless on a bike, IMO.

@Mount Rainier

Thanks so very much for your detailed write up and pictures. This does indeed seem to be the best way to get full functionality on a budget. It really does give you all of the features of a Zumo 660 for just over $200. :thumbsup:

Garmin has too many freaking models. Hard to decipher the difference between a lot of them.

Why get the 765T over the 1490LMT other than the higher price? I would like the bigger screen.

1490LMT on Amazon for $188.
Skootie,

Just use Garmin's "Compare tool": 1490LMT vs 765T

You'll see the 1490LMT has no stored routes capability (a deal killer
Are you sure?I'm seeing 10 routes?
Edit: Oh crap. In my link above, I was comparing the 1390LMT, not the 1490LMT.

Nevermind

Garmin has too many freaking models. Hard to decipher the difference between a lot of them.

Why get the 765T over the 1490LMT other than the higher price? I would like the bigger screen.

Skootie,

Nevermind
No AD2P Bluetooth (i.e. no stereo music over BT headset), no MP3, no FM transmitter, no audio line out. Even with the routing capability, it is considerably less capable than the 765T

Skootie,

Nevermind
No AD2P Bluetooth (i.e. no stereo music over BT headset), no MP3, no FM transmitter, no audio line out. Even with the routing capability, it is considerably less capable than the 765T

In some of the reviews of the "capable" GPS's reviewers complain of lockups & resets, I'm thinkin 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag combined with quick to market outsourced operating system software could make for unwanted aggravation.

JMO

Ok, I have my 765T now and I'm going to write up a follow up reply for not only this unit, but also the Sena SMH10 and their compatability with other bluetooth devices. This reply will be the full answer that I was looking for when researching these GPS units and the SMH10 that I could not find a definite answer on.

The 765T does have bluetooth but it is NOT the same as the Zumo's. You can pair your phone to 765T however, you cannot bluetooth your phone via the 765T to the Sena. You can bluetooth the 765T to the Sena, but only voice prompts and mp3's come across. The phone only works on the speaker and built in mic on the 765T.

This is the only downfall to the 765T that I can find, other than the Aquabox is HUGE. Compared to the 765T, you could fit 2, maybe 3 of them inside the medium/wide Aquabox. Once the padding and wiring is installed the space is definitely occupied, but when you look at an empty Aquabox vs the 765T it is a shock how big it is.

The Sena is what the rest of this post will be about. The pairing ability might not be what is advertised, or maybe it is and I didn't understand it enough till I tried it. With the Sena you can pair multiple devices of bluetooth, only if they are of a DIFFERENT type. Ok, so what this means to the average user like me. I have a Samsung Convoy phone, pretty much a piece of crap, I also have the 765T and an iPOD Touch Gen 4.

This is where the issue lies, or so I found out, maybe others were aware. The Sena will only recognize different bluetooth devices if they are of different type. My Samsung POS is a cell phone with a built in MP3 player. Its bluetooth capabilities are headset, hands free, and bluetooth stereo. Great right? Not necessarily. The 765T capabilites are headset as well as bluetooth stereo. Both of these pieces you cannot change the bluetooth designation, ie, I cannot turn off any one feature of bluetooth on either device. The Sena will only recognize and allow pairing of different types of bluetooths, ie, I cannot pair two devices that have bluetooth stereo to it. So, this means that I can either choose my phone or my GPS, but cannot have both. We'll revisit this issue later.

My 3rd component, iPod Touch Gen 4. This has all the bluetooth capabilites of the iPhone, so bluetooth headset, handsfree, and stereo. So again, I cannot pair it with my Sena if my GPS OR my cell phone is paired.

So basically what this left me was 3 units that I cannot use simultaniously with the Sena. Much different than what the description of the unit is.

What my work around has been is, I uploaded all my MP3's to the 765T(in all honesty, I knew the Ipod wouldn't work in conjunction with the 765T on the Sena, but it was still a dissappointment). This allows me to listen to MP3's via bluetooth via the 765T, iPod out of the picture, not worth a darn on the bike while the GPS is hooked up, but I still have the ability to listen to music. The other work around is I had another verizon POS cell phone laying around that only had bluetooth headset and hands free capability's on it, so I switched phones and now I can pair the cell phone to the Sena and the Sena to the 765T.

So, in the end, I have a $200 GPS set up that the bluetooth works "ok". If I had a zumo, the iPod would still be out of the picture, but atleast I could pair my phone to the GPS and have my phonebook, caller id, and phone functions on the GPS instead of handsfree on the Sena, and also, the zumo would have paired with my old phone, and I wouldn't have to be using my "older" phone. But, I still have the ability with my old phone to pair it to the Sena along with the GPS, and built in MP3 player in the GPS to the Sena but not with the seemlessness and functionality of the Zumo's.

So there it is in a very long nutshell, 765T vs Zumo vs Sena.

Hope this answers some questions for some, as I wasn't able to find definite answers in my research even after calling both Garmin and Sena.

If anything wasn't clear, feel free to ask.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add. The Sena in itself rocks! The sound quality is outstanding both in the built in helmet speakers, and the earbud mount. It really is amazing the sound they are getting out of helmet speakers via stereo bluetooth. Beats the Scala Q2 hands down in every possible way. Not only did the Scala's sound quality really leave a lot to be desired, but the user interfaces on the Sena woop its butt all over the court. Really a good unit, just wish the technology was there to pair similar bluetooth devices.

I have a bit different setup and some similar problems. My iPhone pairs beautifully with the 765T, especially for use in the car. I have a Midland BT2 bluetooh headset. I can pair the GPS to the headset just fine, OR I can pair the phone to the headset. The problem is the headset sees both the GPS and Phone as Priority 1 devices. Midland figures you can pair the phone with the GPS then pair the GPS with the headset, and you will have full functionality. It actually works until you have to answer a call, then the VOX delay makes it impossible for anyone to understand you over the phone connection as sentences and words get chopped.

The Midland BT2 allows 3-simultaneous channels. Along with any priority 1 device (GPS or Phone), I can also feed an intercom or radio, and an auxiliary music stream. The iPhone sends a pretty good music signal, and I have used that on a cross country trip. My findings are that the problems with connectivity have less to do with the GPS than they are with the headset. It takes a lot a patience to get multiple bluetooth channels paired and working well with each other. I have succeeded, but sometimes the phone pairs directly with the headset and knocks out the GPS. Throwing in CB or other 2-way radio is a whole world of pain.

All of this resulted in an epiphany for me as I was traveling across the country last year...just ride. Screw all this nonsense. It eventually just detracts from your enjoyment of the ride, and you really don't need it anyway. Any more if I feel I just have to be "wired", I choose what is most important to me, and only tune the audio for that device. GPS, Music, Phone. On the open road, I don't need to hear the GPS much, and proper voice mail really should be part of your setup. So music (if anything) will win.

Tom,

Interesting. I cannot get the 765T to send phone calls to the Sena no matter what. I have tried about darn near everything. I have come to a working solution though that on my Sena I can get phone calls, listen to GPS voice prompts and music thru the 765T so I am relatively happy.

I hear you about having nothing on sometimes. I usually listen to music about the first 2 hours of a trip, then after that I just turn it off and leave the phone on in case of emergencies and turn the music back on if I get bored. Depends on the day I guess though, and I like having the ability to chose. I also like having the phone connected all the time, as when I am riding more than one day, I tend to get "concerned" family members that like to make sure I'm fine. Voicemail doesn't work too well for me as I like to keep the wheels turning and gas stops are usually just that, so they can be waiting most of the day for a return call until I get to my stop for the night or final destination.

Thanks for the input, interesting to see the different abilities between the headsets!

Sound quality with the Midland is not very good due to the distance the speakers are from your ears, you lose all the low frequency in music. Phone calls are clear and that is actually what it does best. Go figure.

I think that the difference is that the 765T is not intended to be used on a motorcycle, nor to have an audio output via bluetooth. It has only one bluetooth module in it.

The Zumos, which are designed for motorcycle use, have a BT module dedicated to the audio output and (in the Z550 and 6XX) have another one (either physically or just functionally) for the phone pairing. I have used the 765T with a cable audio output to connection to a Starcom1 and the phone features all work as advertised.

I am still (impatiently) waiting for Starcom's promised BT output module that will allow me to use all of the Starcom's features and give me a stereo BT connection to my helmets (only). It is supposed to be ready any time now...

I think that the difference is that the 765T is not intended to be used on a motorcycle, nor to have an audio output via bluetooth. It has only one bluetooth module in it.
I agree that the 765 was not designed for motorcycle use, but I don't understand what you mean by "nor to have an audio output via Bluetooth".

I just received my 765T a couple of days ago, and it most definitely outputs high quality stereo audio output (interrupted by turn by turn voice navigation prompts) via a single BT connection to my Sena SMH10 intercom headset. The 765T also pairs nicely with my Droid phone without disturbing the 765T's GPS prompt/MP3 player pairing to the Sena SMH10, and it is true that the 765T can't forward the phone connection to the SMH10 intercom, but I see no need for that functionality since my phone and the SMH10 talk to each other just fine independently of the SMH10->765T connection.

True, when my phone is paired with the Sena I cannot control the phone using the 765T touchscreen, but all I would ever use the phone for on the bike would be answering calls and telling the caller I can't talk because I am riding. which I can do easily with the phone and jog dial controls on the SMH10 If I wanted to make a call while helmeted, I would pull off the road and use the normal phone keys to do that.

One other nice function of the Sena SMH10 that I am not sure anyone mentioned, is being able to Play, Pause, and switch audio tracks (next, previous) on the MP3 player, and the 765T supports this as well, via the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP).

I just received my 765T a couple of days ago, and it most definitely outputs high quality stereo audio output (interrupted by turn by turn voice navigation prompts) via a single BT connection to my Sena SMH10 intercom headset. The 765T also pairs nicely with my Droid phone without disturbing the 765T's GPS prompt/MP3 player pairing to the Sena SMH10, and it is true that the 765T can't forward the phone connection to the SMH10 intercom, but I see no need for that functionality since my phone and the SMH10 talk to each other just fine independently of the SMH10->765T connection.

True, when my phone is paired with the Sena I cannot control the phone using the 765T touchscreen, but all I would ever use the phone for on the bike would be answering calls and telling the caller I can't talk because I am riding. which I can do easily with the phone and jog dial controls on the SMH10 If I wanted to make a call while helmeted, I would pull off the road and use the normal phone keys to do that.
IMO, there are some definite advantages of having the phone forwarded thru the GPS device.

Perhaps the biggest is that you get the caller ID right up on the GPS screen (big, easy to read) and can decide on the fly whether to answer the call (or not) with a touch of the screen. Otherwise you need to decide to blindly accept (or reject) all incoming calls. There is no way I'd be able to read the tiny screen of my crackberry while riding. In some cases I need to take work related calls on the fly. In others I'll intentionally klet it roll to voice mail as a screening mechanism and then call my VM to find out if it's worth calling them back.

The GPS also automatically prioritizes the various audio signals that it generates. Not sure how that would work with having multiple devices paired to your BT headset.

I also like being able to manipulate the phone's features thru the GPS. When I want to initiate a call I can leave my gloves on, find the recipient in my phone's address book, and place the call all via the GPS touch screen (after pulling over to the side of the road, of course!).

If it works for you that's great. I just don't think that is the optimum arrangement.

edit - I should have said that the 765T (unlike the Zumos) was not designed to have a simultaneously streaming BT input and BT output. At least that is my understanding of the situation. I could be wrong. It's happened before. ;)