GPS Advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my 6 month old 765T started rebooting spontaneously last week. It's on a ram mount on the bike, never got wet. I am contemplating a zumo 660 as the 550 isnt stereo. I need BT and the 7x5 series of nuvo and the zumos are about it.
Correctification. The Z550 isn't stereo BLUETOOTH, but it most definitely is stereo.

Oops, my bad But I hate wires.

I've been using a Zumo 550 since 2007 and feel it's been a great motorcycle GPS. It has it's shortcomings but is built to survive, has those wonderful hard buttons on the side, is an mp3 player and XM compatible. I've grown very accustom to it and nothing in the 600'665 series leads me to believe I should trade up.

I recently put a 2820 on the dash next to the zumo as a backup for rallies. It provides redundancy of all the functions I've come to love (GPS, BT, XM and mp3)in the event one fails. Overall I'd say 2820 provides more info per page (much better trip computer page, better turn-by-turn page)and is a better GPS. I'm surprized how much brighter the zumo screen is though. The 2820 washes out pretty easily.

If I were in your shoes I'd be inclined to stay with what I had. If you don't need BT or XM, contact Garmin about replacing your 2720 with a remanufactured unit. There really isn't a much better motorcycle GPS to be had since the 478's are now priced like gold.

I'm thinking about a Garmin 2250.
Garmin 2250 specs

Not waterproof, no XM, MP3 or BT, no audio output jack.

But it's cheap... ;)
I'm using a C330 now, so what's the downside? :p
The big upgrade here from your C330 is that you can (apparently) save and upload routes to the 2250. But I would not have any GPS on a bike that I couldn't somehow get the sound into my helmet. I don't think looking down at a GPS for directions all the time is safe. Otherwise, it looks like a nice basic unit.

My suggestion, if you want a very basic motorcycle friendly GPS is to go with the Zumo 220. That one is waterproof and has bluetooth output that allows you to get the GPS prompts into your helmet (no BT phone pairing capability). It also doesn't do XM, or MP3, but it will allow you to save and upload up to 10 routes. It has a street price of about double the 2250, but it's still a bargain compared to the other Zumos.

Last edited by a moderator:
$135 for a Nuvi 765t and $50 for an aquabox like Mount Rainier posted above and for $200 you almost have the same unit as the Zumo 660

$135 for a Nuvi 765t and $50 for an aquabox like Mount Rainier posted above and for $200 you almost have the same unit as the Zumo 660
Can you see the screen OK. Reason I ask is I put my 765 on the bike after the old one died and went for a ride. It was almost impossible to see unless it was real overcast out. i wonder if the Aquabox helps in some strange way.

Gary

Amazon has the factory refurb 765t $129 plus shipping, credit due to Mount Rainier for finding that smoking deal.

Gary, I am still waiting on mine to show up but from reports it doesn't seem to be a problem. If it is I'll just get a hood for it. For that price you can't complain much. Maybe Mount Rainier can comment more on visibility as he already is running this setup.

Edit: looks like the vendor I bought mine from is out of them now and the cheapest one is $165, still not a bad deal though.

Garmin has too many freaking models. Hard to decipher the difference between a lot of them.

Why get the 765T over the 1490LMT other than the higher price? I would like the bigger screen.

1490LMT on Amazon for $188.

Edit: Answered my own question. 765T has several features the 1490 doesn't - Clicky.

Still, sure is hard to shop with all the different models. I am SO glad I picked up a brand new 2820 for $235 a couple years ago when they were about to discontinue the model. Wish I would have done the same for the 478.

Garmin has too many freaking models. Hard to decipher the difference between a lot of them.

Why get the 765T over the 1490LMT other than the higher price? I would like the bigger screen.

Skootie,

Just use Garmin's "Compare tool": 1490LMT vs 765T

You'll see the 1490LMT has no stored routes capability (a deal killer), No headphone jack, no MP3, no FM transmitter, and I believe the only bluetooth it does is pairing with a phone for hands free, so there is no way to get the audio into your helmet..

[edit] you beat me to your own answer. And I thought I was being fast...

765T includes: MP3, stereo headphone audio jack, FM transmitter, A2DP bluetooth.

1490 is larger and includes lifetime maps. is missing the headphone jack, regular bluetooth

Both do routes, lane assist, etc. so overall the differences are minor. The real question is why Garmin feels compelled to churn its products. It seems changes in models occur frequently and often with no improvement or even removing features.

A little input regarding the screen visibility of the 765T in the direct sunlight. What direct sunlight? I live in Western Washington State for crying out loud. :rolleyes:

The visibility in brighter daylight hours does have it's challenges if one dwells on it too much. With the voice prompts (I use a SENA SMH10 Bluetooth headset with my Garmin) giving you sufficient warning as to distance to turns, turn directions and street names how much convincing does one need to stay on route. I do, on occasion, check for the pink line if need be and if the screen visibility is a challenge it's a simple act of shading the screen with the clutch hand for a quick peek and I continue on. I found I had to develop a habit of not watching the screen, as it turned out to be too much of a distraction. Besides it doesn't give you Bambi Alerts. :dribble:

As for the Aqua Box lens, it functions very well. As far as how it works in conjunction with the touch screen functions of the GPS, you can do everything with the AB lens covering the 765T that that you can do with the GPS outside of the AB. No issues. Good tight water seal as well. I was pleasantly surprised how well it all functions.

Even if and/or when we do get a dry spell, I leave the GPS in the AB (vs using the ball mount cradle) because it's secure and safe from other contaminants associated with moto travel. With the 765T turned off (mine is on/off with the ignition unless I choose to leave it on when the ignition is turned off) and in the parking lot of your favorite burger joint the AB actually conceals it from from view of those with less than the best intentions.

Hope this helps.

Keep Going!