GPS...mount it where?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfletch69

Reaction score
I am going to get a GPS/XM/Bluetooth rig for my '06 AE...either a Zuma 550 or the Steet Pilot 2820. Not sure where it would mount best. Anybody have a picture they can post of their install?

Thanks

Check out this thread called Show Us you Cock Pit: Clicky

JW

This is my favorite mount. Zip ties! After my mount broke while in WV at the Eastern Owners Meeting..

100_4721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunny on SHORT stem mount. Here's pics of my 550 mounted with my custom Starcomm box directly behind and Motorola FRS Bike2Bike above.

Forget the Red line. Should have cropped out the dog.

StarcommBox5.jpg

StarcommBox3.jpg

I'm running a 2720 Garmin and just ordered the stem mount with the Garmin craddle and the 2.5" short stem mount from Jeff at BikeEffects. Jeff also helped me with the issue of running a tankbag as the 2.5" shaft would be too short so he explained I could order the 3.5" shaft by itself also to use with the tankbag. I only use the tankbag when I go on a trip or when I set the bike up in the "sport" style and take off the side bags. So thanks Jeff for the info and the part that allows me to use the GPS with whatever I need to run. Looks like just a couple of allens and you can change the shafts. PM. <>< ;)

QUOTE (mfletch69 @ Mar 18 2008, 01:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am going to get a GPS/XM/Bluetooth rig for my '06 AE...either a Zuma 550 or the Steet Pilot 2820. Not sure where it would mount best. Anybody have a picture they can post of their install?

Thanks

Did my own bracket for my Tomtom Rider using a bit of aluminium plate.

View of bracket:

1_DSCF5282.JPG

Rider's view:

1_DSCF5280.JPG

Full write-up here (first part is for my previous bike).

I mounted my 2720 on a shelf which puts it above the speedometer. It is protected by the windscreen, it doesn't move with the handlebars, and it is much quicker to see than lower mounting points. In fact I use the speedometer function from the GPS most of the time and rarely look 'all the way down' to the speedometer itself. The shelf I use is from FJRGoodies. I also have my radar detector mounted on that shelf.

I mounted my 2720 on a shelf which puts it above the speedometer. It is protected by the windscreen, it doesn't move with the handlebars, and it is much quicker to see than lower mounting points. In fact I use the speedometer function from the GPS most of the time and rarely look 'all the way down' to the speedometer itself. The shelf I use is from FJRGoodies. I also have my radar detector mounted on that shelf.
+1, Gunny! My Garmin 376c GPS is currenly mounted using a RAM ball & stem on one of the sockets on my Heli clamp, but it's too low for normal viewing, meaning my eyes have to move too far below road-view even for a few seconds (or longer when making GPS route changes). It's also a PITA to get to the key from the riding position.

I'll soon be moving mine up to my N-Line shelf, same place where the V-1 and XM antenna's are mounted. My SmartTire monitor will also go on the dash shelf at the next tire-change. A Skyway-mounted Littlite maplight will be going on the brake reservoir, and a switchbox will be mounted between the handlebars. The garage-door opener will be replaced with one operated by the headlight hi/lo switch. That's a Harley Road-Tech XM Radio receiver on the clutch reservoir...it's waterproof and has nice big buttons that can be pressed with gloves on.

Current setup

Dash.jpg

I asked the same? when I got my Zumo for my '07.

Spunkmyer posted his photos and I really liked that. I ordered the same short Techmount (1098m i think) and am really happy with it.

Steve

I'm also using the Techmount with my 2720. I also recently added the Powerlet plug on the left hand side right behind the heated grip control and got the 12" powercord. Nice and sanitary.

This is a silly question but for stem mounts, is there anything magic to removing the OEM nut and installing the Techmount nut other than the torque wrench & 36mm socket? Can bike be on side stand or should it be on center stand? Do parts go flying when removing the stem nut? Anything to lookout for?