GPS Options

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrib

Reaction score
I have read alot about the Garmin and the issues with spending so much dough on the motorcycle specific GPS. Anyone have long term reports on using a TomTom? I have had them in the past in my cars, but wanted to get some opinions. I have no issues bagging the GPS in rain. Overall, I simply don't see myself spending all that dough for a motorcycle specific GPS when you can get one that has similar features for tons less. The way I look at it is I can buy 5-6 cheapers ones (in case they fail) before I get the spending the same money on the real expensive motorcycle GPS.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I have read alot about the Garmin and the issues with spending so much dough on the motorcycle specific GPS. Anyone have long term reports on using a TomTom? I have had them in the past in my cars, but wanted to get some opinions. I have no issues bagging the GPS in rain. Overall, I simply don't see myself spending all that dough for a motorcycle specific GPS when you can get one that has similar features for tons less. The way I look at it is I can buy 5-6 cheapers ones (in case they fail) before I get the spending the same money on the real expensive motorcycle GPS.
Thoughts? Experiences?
Love my Tom Tom 730, blue tooth work great with Collett comunicator 900. Would not be with out it just finishes a 5,400 mile ride to San Diego Zoo and the unit got me to every location I put in even friends house in LA CA and two in Portland OR.

When you go this way it is a lot cheaper than the motor cycle unit.

There's more to the "expensive" units than waterproofness.

There's how much data they hold, for one. A StreetPilot or Zumo can hold many routes, not just the current one, with easy choosing of which stored route you want to run. You can store numerous waypoints, too, favorite eateries, sights, buddy's house, whatever, and route to that waypoint with 2 or 3 taps on the screen.

There's also the matter of how much you can do with the data you want from the computer, instead of the tiny GPS screen. StreetPilots and Zumos are fully supported by MapSource, and indeed by anything that can make a GPX file. You can bring in waypoints and routes, and export tracks back to the PC afterwards. Some cheaper units will only take waypoints from the computer and you have to build your route in the device, and some won't even do that much: you have to pick waypoints on the device, too.

If all you're after is "Get me from here to there" then the cheaper units will do what you're after. If you need to store anything in your receiver, they're gonna be insufficient very quickly. That capacity and versatility is where the price comes from, not just being rainproof.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the "standard" Auto version. My new 4 month old Garmin Nuvi 1490T @ $200 at Costco has 3000 miles on it and works great. It has a large (5") screen and lots of memory for all the routes, gas stations and microbrew pubs you can down load. I mount it on my windshield for sunny weather and in my tank bag for rain or rough roads. (I select the voice Australian ladies voice to give me directions and some times the Russian language when I want to mess with someone)

My last one lasted for 5 years and I only upgraded for a larger screen and all the bells and whistles. Any of the big brands should do you fine.

If all you're after is "Get me from here to there" then the cheaper units will do what you're after. If you need to store anything in your receiver, they're gonna be insufficient very quickly. That capacity and versatility is where the price comes from, not just being rainproof.
I understand all that you said, but there are plenty $200 GPS that can do all that you laid out. I am curious as to what people are using BEYOND the standard morotcycle units. It seems to me that there is a premium for the bike-specific unit and I really cannot discern why that is other than the vibration/moisture element as MANY other units do the same stuff. I know my TomTom model can do all of those things at a 1/4 the price.

If you can find them, a Garmin Streetpilot 2720 or 2730 (2610 and 2620 may be good choices also, but I have no experience with them) are waterproof and you can upload up to 50 custom routes and too many custom waypoints. They are a bit heavier than the newer Nuvi for example, but cheap. I mounted my 2730 ($175 "unbundled" from some getfeetwet.com in CA) in a RAM cradle screwed to an N/Line shelf. It speaks thru my Starcom. I bought a 2720 (almost identical) as a backup ($125 eBay). I upload custom maps most of the time, for rallies and group rides, both work great for me.

Buddy just got a Garmin Nuvi, don't recall which one, 255 or 555 maybe, less than $200, is waterproof and you can upload custom routes also. He mounts his on a RAM ball.

My order of preference would be - ability to take custom routes from the PC first, then waterproof second. You can always get a waterproof box from RAM or use a sandwich baggie.

My order of preference would be - ability to take custom routes from the PC first, then waterproof second. You can always get a waterproof box from RAM or use a sandwich baggie.
I tried the sandwich baggie on my Garmin 276c on a tourtech mount but it really did not work that well. I am blind as a bat and need the large screen to see anything useful. I have been thinking hard about upgrading and will probably go to the Zumo.

The one item that I have not seen mentioned is vibration resistance. I also use my GPS on the dirt bike and nothing destroys a GPS faster than vibration. I know some people who have tried the TomTom in the dirt.

Problem #1 - the TomTom wants to lock onto the roads. Well - I may not be on a road genius!!

Problem #2 - the TomTom does not take kindly to Shake & Bake.

My Garmin 276c has been throughly abused on my dirt bikes over the last 5 years and works like a champ.

The people I know using Zumos are quite pleased and on my Iceland trip my rental bike had the Zumo 550 and it worked very well.

Mounting is important to reduce vibration even on a street bike. Invest in a good mounting system like a Tourtech. I know, more money but in the end it will save you money by not leading to an early demise of your GPS.

I tried the sandwich baggie on my Garmin 276c on a tourtech mount but it really did not work that well. I am blind as a bat and need the large screen to see anything useful. I have been thinking hard about upgrading and will probably go to the Zumo.
Why did you need a baggie on the 276c? As a marine unit it is fully waterproof, much moreso than the Zumos (which tend to have their mount connectors fail due to moisture inflitration) are.

Why did you need a baggie on the 276c? As a marine unit it is fully waterproof, much moreso than the Zumos (which tend to have their mount connectors fail due to moisture inflitration) are.
The 276c is water resistant not waterproof. Trust Me. Actually over the years I lost the seal around the display and during an especially wet day the 276c went "funny". This was probably due to the severe vibration I have subjected on the GPS over the years. When I got home I took it all apart and dried everything out carefully with a hair drier and was able to resuscitate the GPS (I was an instrumentation technician at a nuclear power station so I'm OK with doing this stuff). I then sealed the display / case area and the unit is now OK in the wet.

As far as the Zumo connectors go, using di-electric grease helps tremendously with this issue.

Well, The 276c is rated IPX7, which makes it only slightly less waterproof than a submarine. It is rated to survive complete submersion in one meter of water for 30 minutes at a minimum.

You may well have shaken yours to death, in which case your suggestion to use a Touratech mount (I think you can get the same or better vibration isolation from RAM mounts if you use the right size balls and arm lengths) makes sense.

Was chattin up a Best Buy Geek and he said the Tom Tom's come back with warranty issues and his advice was to find a Garmin. I have yet to meet up with a Tom Tom owner to get another view.

I have a 276C that I have used on 3 different bikes , well over 100K miles, and have ridden in a lot of nasty nasty weather and never have had a problem with it getting wet . I use the ram ball mount and on the FJR have one mounted to the stem nut.

Mac

If you are worried about waterproofing, try using a condom! If they are not waterproof................. :blink:

Don

Garmin Zumo 450 can be had for about $400. It's an excellent device, albeit less featured than the 550 and the really poor 600 and 650 (now, these two are a rip off). No need to worry about waterproofing and since it is a dedicated MC GPS it comes with all the mounting hardware. I also had TomTom Rider vesion 1 and was happy with it, gave it to a friend of mine when I bought Zumo 550. You can find TomTom Rider for less than $200 (I saw one advertised for $139), and the Rider2 ffor less than $300. I know these are tough times, but a specific MC unit, IMHO is worth the extra $100. Sam

Was chattin up a Best Buy Geek and he said the Tom Tom's come back with warranty issues and his advice was to find a Garmin. I have yet to meet up with a Tom Tom owner to get another view.
I have been using TomToms for years in my autos (pre-navigation built in days) and never had an issue. Of course, they were never on an MC so the vibration/moisture issues never really came into play. Seems to me that spending the dough upfront is worth it to avoid longterm issues based on the comments so far.

What's the fun in minding the warnings not to subject unit to heat, dirt, vibration, moisture, etc.! Stick the dang unit on there and ride.

FWIW, the Garmin line started in the mid-90's largely for use by military and general aviation and boating. This means the culture of reliability was probably built into Garmin production, and maybe some of that expertise has carried over to their current products. Tom Toms been around for about 5 or 6 years, built for automotive market. Not to say they arent as tough, but I would guess you could cut some corners in that market.

But, hey, if you've had good experience with a brand, like the price and features, stick with it and go. There are so many features out there on dozens of models, it boggles the mind. I'm quite happy with my Nuvi 1490T, because Kare the Australian babe is onboard and....re-calculating for me for me when I stray off her path. :rolleyes: Just map me to the motel in the strange city or give me an idea where the next gas is to be found near Bamfook!

I bought a Nuvi780, I use it on the bike and in autos. Has Bluetooth, MP3 player, all in one package. Costs 1/3 of a Zumo, and does far more. Bought mounts (Tech Mount etc) that work great on the bike. No issues.

Good luck in your quest.

FWIW, the Garmin line started in the mid-90's largely for use by military and general aviation and boating. This means the culture of reliability was probably built into Garmin production, and maybe some of that expertise has carried over to their current products. Tom Toms been around for about 5 or 6 years, built for automotive market. Not to say they arent as tough, but I would guess you could cut some corners in that market.
Good point.