GPS Power

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2 gig card in my ZUMO as well, and have had ZERO problems with it. I have heard that the Zumo will only recognize up to 1000 songs, but since I don't have that many in the memory it hasn't been an issue. I am thinking of upgrading to a 4 gig card, just to have the extra memory for photos, or whatever.

I keep about 500 songs and a couple of audio books on the zumo and I haven't had the indexing problem either. And not that I've been paying that much attention, but it's the first I've heard about it.

Back to the original question -- I put a two prong SAE plug on the zumo power cord and connect direct to the battery through my Battery Tender pigtail. It's easy to remove and keeps your pigtail from getting bored when you're riding.

I keep about 500 songs and a couple of audio books on the zumo and I haven't had the indexing problem either. And not that I've been paying that much attention, but it's the first I've heard about it.
Back to the original question -- I put a two prong SAE plug on the zumo power cord and connect direct to the battery through my Battery Tender pigtail. It's easy to remove and keeps your pigtail from getting bored when you're riding.

Just did the exact same thing tonight with my 2610.

I put an SAE plug on the end of cord - then just have the Battery Tender pigtail coming up through the handlebars.

Makes it easy to connect/disconnect....and I have only one connection to the battery.

It's all I need for now...at least until I set the bike up for heated gear and such come fall.

The MP3 player in Zumo is a pain - 700 songs take almost 20 minutes to index - I use the iPod for music and have the Autocom 1296 (Bluetooth adapter) for the navigator.
That's not the Zumo, it's how you have your songs loaded. Break the 700 songs up into smaller folders, (I use one per "album"), and your issue will go away. I have a 4gb card almost stuffed, and it's 15-20 seconds to load.

The MP3 player in Zumo is a pain - 700 songs take almost 20 minutes to index - I use the iPod for music and have the Autocom 1296 (Bluetooth adapter) for the navigator.
That's not the Zumo, it's how you have your songs loaded. Break the 700 songs up into smaller folders, (I use one per "album"), and your issue will go away. I have a 4gb card almost stuffed, and it's 15-20 seconds to load.

Me too, and some of my song files are kind of small, and there are well over a 1000 songs on that SD card. (that still blows me away)

No problems what so ever.

But to the topic, my Zumo is wired to key power and is not inhibited when the starter is used.

For me that works the best as I use my FJR for errands, commuting, and long distance.

I think I would like to wire mine to a switched source, so it cuts the power to the GPS when the bike key is turned off. Like mentioned earlier, the GPS will ask if it should run on internal battery power and if the question isn't answered in 30 seconds, it turns off. Less of a chance of it draining the battery that way. Where is the best place to find switched power?

Russ

Edit:

OK, yea the search function does work!!

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=104310

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the best place to find switched power?
I have a Blueseas fuse block installed under my seat to run the various electrical bits. There is a high current relay that switches the battery power on and off . . .

The relay is driven from the (I think it is) white wire on the auto-down connector, which was already unplugged and hanging before I did the wiring up. Zumo doesn't need much power and that feed is probably good for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of SD cards and MP3's... I have been considering the Garmin 650.. Anyone know what the largest SD card it can read???

WW