• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ground Spider overload harnesses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shipping date no prob 4 me, but I should have asked this 1st. Just bought my yamie 2 wks ago and bought the YES warranty(4 yrs). Would Yamaha consider this a modification and void my warranty? Believe I know the answer but what's the forums thinking?
I guess that depends on your dealer, and what kind of repore you have with them. If your dealer doesn't have a problem with them, because they understand how they work, then Yamy wont even know,and if they do they may not care if explained correct.

If the dealer doesn't like them, and tells Yamy that the customer put in some modified thing, and doesn't understand it, or explains it in a bad way, then Yamy wont like it.

You should go to your servicing dealers service manager, explain what the bypass harnesses are and how they work. Even show him pics of them so he can see it's not some POS bunch of wires. Then ask him if it would void warranty. If he says it will void, then you just have to remove them before you take it in for warranty work. If you have a good relationship with him I doubt he'll say anything.

My dealer is great with me, but wasn't until he found out I was also a tech in the boat biz. You should understand they are dealing with people that don't always know to much so they are leery.

Shipping date no prob 4 me, but I should have asked this 1st. Just bought my yamie 2 wks ago and bought the YES warranty(4 yrs). Would Yamaha consider this a modification and void my warranty? Believe I know the answer but what's the forums thinking?
I guess that depends on your dealer, and what kind of repore you have with them. If your dealer doesn't have a problem with them, because they understand how they work, then Yamy wont even know,and if they do they may not care if explained correct.

If the dealer doesn't like them, and tells Yamy that the customer put in some modified thing, and doesn't understand it, or explains it in a bad way, then Yamy wont like it.

You should go to your servicing dealers service manager, explain what the bypass harnesses are and how they work. Even show him pics of them so he can see it's not some POS bunch of wires. Then ask him if it would void warranty. If he says it will void, then you just have to remove them before you take it in for warranty work. If you have a good relationship with him I doubt he'll say anything.

My dealer is great with me, but wasn't until he found out I was also a tech in the boat biz. You should understand they are dealing with people that don't always know to much so they are leery.
What Art didn't mention is that his harnesses look very much like something from the factory, so it'd be surprising for a dealer to even notice.

Plus, if you have a pain for a dealer (and don't bail to go to another) then just pop the harnesses out if there is a problem.

To JimNTexas, after pulling the two big side fairings, you'll be in the group saying "there isn't much to it."

I'm happy to report that after several months of procrastination I finally installed my fan harness yesterday. :yahoo:

Getting the lower cowlings off was an exercise in Zen thinking, but I managed to do it. There were some differences in my 2008 Advanced Edition compared to what is documented in this forum, so I took some pictures and will post them in the appropriate thread Real Soon Now.

The harness themselves are just plug-n-play, as straightforward as anything could be.

I went with just the fan harness to minimize the plastic removal required. Now that I've removed the lower cowl I'm a little less fearful of the upper plastic.

I'll probably order the headlight harness someday soon. After another few months of contemplation I'll give that a try.

I'm happy to report that after several months of procrastination I finally installed my fan harness yesterday. :yahoo:

Getting the lower cowlings off was an exercise in Zen thinking, but I managed to do it. There were some differences in my 2008 Advanced Edition compared to what is documented in this forum, so I took some pictures and will post them in the appropriate thread Real Soon Now.

The harness themselves are just plug-n-play, as straightforward as anything could be.

I went with just the fan harness to minimize the plastic removal required. Now that I've removed the lower cowl I'm a little less fearful of the upper plastic.

I'll probably order the headlight harness someday soon. After another few months of contemplation I'll give that a try.

Do the light harness too. I'm a mechanical novice and it really wasn't a big deal. You'll be done in no time. Change the headlights when you're in there. Since the lights are on all the time I would probably think the light harnesses are even more important to install. Only my opinion.

Hi All

If you have any questions please read post #1 before you PM or email me. It's not that I don't want to answer you, but the more time spent at computer is less time making harnesses.

All the pertinent info is in there.

If you want to wait until I'm caught up, it may or may not be a while. Your best bet in getting a set is to send payment. Then you go on the list. First come first serve.

Thanks,

Art

After putting this off for a month or two I did the 4 harness install yesterday. The harnesses are cats ass, the installation not so much. I had the bike on my Handy lift so I couldn't turn the bars for hand clearance when I needed it a time or two and my hands are to damn big for work in most tight places. Looking at the FAQ posting on removing Gen II Plastic. caused me as much confusion as it did help. Between the FAQ and the SM I took the left side off after an hour spent mostly trying to interpret the information and pictures. When I finally said screw it and jumped in I had the left side off in about 10 minutes and the right side in about 5 minutes. From there my only difficulty was hand size, but I got it done. I could probably do another set in an hour or so. This was the first time I've pulled the plastic on my bike. I did find that I was missing a couple of the push rivets, but had ordered in a stock prior to this exercise. While I was working I added a harness for a battery tender. So I putzed around in the grudge most of the afternoon and finished with a working machine and a little more FJR specific knowledge. Not simple as my HD, but not that bad once I got started.

R+ to Art for a good product.

Last edited by a moderator: