Group Ride to SFO from Plano (DFW)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrchik

Just a girl in the world, having rode 3 FJRs
Reaction score
Last fall, we had about 8 riders meet in Plano at a gas station off of 75 & Legacy (pretty sure that was the exit, someone lemme know if it wasn't) at about 9:30 am on Friday morning for a group ride to SFO. If there's interest we can certainly do it again! Bounce led the way and rode sweep since we both have CB radios and we could then keep an eye on the whole group. Does anyone have any interest in joining myself, Bounce and Tim on the way up? If so post up here and we'll discuss the details. Also see Bounce's post on this subject on the pinned announcement thread. We can do a few things better this year now that we've done it once before!

Last fall, we had about 8 riders meet in Plano at a gas station off of 75 & Legacy (pretty sure that was the exit, someone lemme know if it wasn't) at about 9:30 am on Friday morning for a group ride to SFO. If there's interest we can certainly do it again! Bounce led the way and rode sweep since we both have CB radios and we could then keep an eye on the whole group. Does anyone have any interest in joining myself, Bounce and Tim on the way up? If so post up here and we'll discuss the details. Also see Bounce's post on this subject on the pinned announcement thread. We can do a few things better this year now that we've done it once before!

Sounds like a good plan. I'll be there.

Last fall we met at the Shell gas station at the southeast corner of Legacy and Central Expy (US 75).

Marcos and I rode over from D/FW airport (we met at 7:30). If anyone from the mid-cities or Fort Worth wants to meet at D/FW then ride over to meet the Dallas folks in Plano, we can meet at the Shell Station (yes, another Shell station) at International Parkway and South Rental Car Drive at the south end of D/FW airport. Let me know.

FJRayJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who rode the group last year and will be this year need to chime in.

1. Is there still a concern about riding in the spOOooOoooOooooky darkness? :rolleyes:

If so we need to modify our plans to arrive earlier than we did last year. That means, leave earlier, stop less, pick up the pace (when appropriate).

My personal concern isn't riding in the spooooky darkness (ha!), its being the last to arrive. We had estimated an arrival time of 5-6 pm last year, i think, and we blew that pretty bad. 1 1/2 hour lunch didn't help that. I personally feel that I need to be there earlier to make sure everything is going ok and I'm there if anyone needs anything. If this doesn't work for this group ride, that's cool. I'll just head up myself on the slab. Since we did the Talimena parkway and castle last fall, I won't cry if I miss it this year! ;)

A relatively nice route (without too much slab) would be 333 miles (about).

121 n to 82 w to Paris

271 n to70 w to De Queen

the fun part

71 n to 28 w to 7 n

Pretty close to what we did last year but without Talamina Scene Drive and it misses that nice twisty stuff on 27 just before getting into Russellville.

A relatively nice route (without too much slab) would be 333 miles (about).
121 n to 82 w to Paris

271 n to70 w to De Queen

the fun part

71 n to 28 w to 7 n

Pretty close to what we did last year but without Talamina Scene Drive and it misses that nice twisty stuff on 27 just before getting into Russellville.

I can leave earlier. 9:30 is a little late to me. Why don't we leave Plano at 8:30 (meet at 8:00 so we can organize). Would leaving an hour earlier, a shorter route, a shorter lunch and fewer tours of small town Southeast Oklahoma get fjrchik there in time?

FJRayJ

Nor problems with riding in the dark, but I agree with fjrchik, arrive as early as she feels she needs to review details. I can be at I-75 and Legacy in the Shell station parking lot any time Friday morning. All I need for the trip are Powerbars, bottled water and gas. I can bring the first two, and stop for gas anytime Bounce pulls off the road.

I'm no LDR, and my butt gets a bit tired after 125-150 miles and a stretch after that distance is nice, but hey, whatever you all want to do! Kury highway pegs installed!

I am hoping to make the ride from DFW with you guys, but this will be the longest trip on two wheels for me. I was also hoping to get in a decent ride before hand to help get in shape, but falling through the ceiling a week ago has slowed me down on that little endeavor.

I will do my best to keep up.

Bryan

+1 on the falling through the ceiling thing. I think it's a rite of passage for those who then decide to floor 'the whole damn attic and hang the cost". BTDT. Looking forward to meeting you.

Tim

Bounce, got my Kury's and a whole pack of knee pain kill'n wraps to make it up and back. When the knee is unhappy, I'm unhappy. I'll loan you some for your neck if necessary. :rolleyes:

If I get the day off from work, I will definitely ride up from Houston to Dallas on Thursday night or early Friday and meet you all for the group ride out.

Kury highway pegs installed!
Hey TWILKIN650,

What Kury setup did you use? I have the Wild Bill brackets, but I am confused on what Kury pegs will work correctly. Sorry about the hijack.

rockabill, see this thread......

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ghway+pegs+kury

Had I to do it over, I'd go with even longer Kury pegs bolted onto their adjustable arms. More clearance for legs around the fairing. If you think you need quite a bit of clearance, try the 8025 instead of the 8002 pegs I installed. Since they fold up, the length of the peg itself isn't an issue as far as cornering clearance when the pegs are up, as the length and position of the arms is the limiting factor. Hopefully the pegs themselves are turned back up in the twisties! For me, at 6'3" with a 34 inch inseam, this setup gives me more room than the Wild Bill pegs bolted to his plates. ;)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled SFO programming........

rockabill, see this thread......
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...ghway+pegs+kury

Had I to do it over, I'd go with even longer Kury pegs bolted onto their adjustable arms. More clearance for legs around the fairing. If you think you need quite a bit of clearance, try the 8025 instead of the 8002 pegs I installed. Since they fold up, the length of the peg itself isn't an issue as far as cornering clearance when the pegs are up, as the length and position of the arms is the limiting factor. Hopefully the pegs themselves are turned back up in the twisties! For me, at 6'3" with a 34 inch inseam, this setup gives me more room than the Wild Bill pegs bolted to his plates. ;)

Now, back to our regularly scheduled SFO programming........
Thanks for the info TWILKIN650! I remember seeing that page, but I must have messed up my search when I looked for it again.

I was able to get that Friday off so I will be riding up to Dallas on Thursday night, and meeting you all on Friday for the ride to SFO. Do we have a departure time nailed down yet?

I was able to get that Friday off so I will be riding up to Dallas on Thursday night, and meeting you all on Friday for the ride to SFO. Do we have a departure time nailed down yet?
We don't yet. We used 10 am last year and that worked best for me. I have a long ride to get to Plano (in morning rush hour) and I also work second shift, so early is not gonna be easy for me. I wanna have a clear head for this ride so if we could please keep the meeting time to no earlier than 9:30 am, I would greatly appreciate it. I think between the abbreviated route and shorter stop times, we'll get there around 5 pm. We also have fewer folks on this ride than last year and that should also help keep us moving along.

I'll be leading this ride (unless someone else wants to) since Bounce is not able to attend the Spring Fling due to family obligations. I have a GPS and CB. Does anyone else have these 1 or both of these things that can bring up the rear, by any chance?

Yep. I was holding off on saying anything. But I've had all my free time taken up with elder parent care. I'll be there with everyone in spirit but can't get away to attend The Spring Thing this year. Michelle and I talked about this possibility during the earliest planning stages, so it didn't blind side her.

The routes are published in another thread and everyone's getting their road maps before heading out. The door prizes from many of our generous sponsors were shipped yesterday. Looks like the bases are covered.

I'll see all you heathens for The Fall Freakout though! I've already told the rest of the family that I can't miss both SFOs and they have to help me so I can attend.

If I go get a steak dinner on Friday, can I send the tab to Tim?

Bounce, I am bummed you won't be making it this time around. I was looking forward to meeting both you and fjrchik.

fjrchik, I am going to work diligently on getting a cb setup for the bike and would help in what ever way I could. We shall see if I can pull it together. I was hoping for a GPS as well, but there was a serious dent in farkle funding. Maybe something will pull through.

Bryan

Bounce,

Forward any steak dinner bills to me. I can relate to the elder care issues, and you deserve all the consideration you can get.

Tim

And yes, Michelle, I have a newly mounted GPS, but am a rookie in this area. We can scope out the collective wisdom when we leave and see what resources we have.

Ok so we have:

fjrchik

TWilkin650

Leartech

Rockbill

Mbottoms

do i have that right? everyone in now?